Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Re: Veg Garden Harvest

The bottom leaves of my Toms are very yellow, they are out doors in tubs, do you think it is caused by so much rain? My peas, first year I've grown them, have done really well and are delicious.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Maver-rik ->
The bottom leaves of my Toms are very yellow, they are out doors in tubs, do you think it is caused by so much rain? My peas, first year I've grown them, have done really well and are delicious.
Hi Mav mine are too so I removed them to prevent rot.
Apparently yellowing is is quite normal.
Maver-rik
London. England
Maver-rik is female  Maver-rik has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Thanks Meg, I'll take them off then.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 05:50 AM

In general things are VG this year. Best crop of rhubarb I've ever had, likewise with onions, broadbeans are heavily laden and almost ready for picking, leeks and savoy cabbages going great guns, potatoes have a heavy crop, raspberries are in their first year so crop is light , summer brassicas are a bit slow growing this year as are the courgettes, blackberries look like being a heavy crop as do the tomatoes, but they will be a bit later than normal. All in all it looks like being a good year. Oh, just one failure, there's hardly any gooseberries. I forgot to add that I have an excellent crop of apples and pears but few plums.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Odd isn't it Alan, my broad beans and tomatoes are rubbish, but we've had a record breaking gooseberry crop....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Odd isn't it Alan, my broad beans and tomatoes are rubbish, but we've had a record breaking gooseberry crop....
My brother in Derbyshire has had 60lb of goosberries and about the same of black currents. Also lots of raspberries, such a shame I don't live nearer . I believe he gives some to local restaurants.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2012, 07:08 PM

My courgette have all died, Not enough sun for them. Corns looking miserable. Onions are doing ok, but a few have gone rotten with the rain. Turnips have turned out fine. cabbage is not to bad.
I have given up this year on a lot of my planting.
Maybe next year will be better.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2012, 04:00 PM

So far I've lost all my Harbinger Tomatoes to blight; my 1st Earlies were a let down, 2nd Earlies teeny; Cabbages are HUGE but Broccoli still not showing any nice heads; Beetroot taking FOREVER; 2nd sowing of lettuce raided by green / white / blackfly so badly they've died; red onions still small and not actually growing; strawberries so-so but not many; spring onions 22 inches tall and as fat as Onions; bush tomatoes doing - well - OK; Crystal Apple Cucumbers just waking up and flowering and parsnips a no-show at all!
Not a good year so I'm dreading October for my Main Crop spuds - probably sod-all under there!! stevmk2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2012, 06:10 PM

My first and second early crops of spuds have been good, but I dug up a root of my main crop (Roosters) out of curiosity yesterday and found nine tubers but all very small. Hopefully they will fill out over the next couple of months.

My beans are finally starting to produce and we are hoping to have our first pickings this week sometime with plenty to come afterwards by the looks of it. I have just about given up on salad veg this year and all my carrots have carrot fly infestation. My beetroot haven't developed any root and are starting to bolt, so I'm going to give up on them and dump them on the compost heap ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

01-08-2012, 06:41 PM

I picked 5lb of runner beans today and froze the majority, the variety is Armstrong and they don't seem to have a lot of flavour.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top