Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Re: Veg Garden Harvest

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I picked 5lb of runner beans today and froze the majority, the variety is Armstrong and they don't seem to have a lot of flavour.
Wow Meg, that's a lot for first pickings, what size of row do you plant? We tend to start picking when there are enough for a meal, I don't think we could wait that long if some were ready....

I haven't heard of that variety, but I know what you mean about some of the newer varieties having very little flavour, they seem to be bred for quantity and texture rather than taste, which seems ridiculous to me..

This year I am trialling an experimental variety from Thompson and Morgan known only as EXP5, which Mrs PM had sent to her amongst a batch of new variety flowers and veg as part of their customer evaluation program. We are hoping to have our first taste of them tomorrow and we will have to make a report to T&M on all aspects of their growth, yield, taste etc at the end of September, so we're hoping they taste as good as they look...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Wow Meg, that's a lot for first pickings, what size of row do you plant? We tend to start picking when there are enough for a meal, I don't think we could wait that long if some were ready....

I haven't heard of that variety, but I know what you mean about some of the newer varieties having very little flavour, they seem to be bred for quantity and texture rather than taste, which seems ridiculous to me..

This year I am trialling an experimental variety from Thompson and Morgan known only as EXP5, which Mrs PM had sent to her amongst a batch of new variety flowers and veg as part of their customer evaluation program. We are hoping to have our first taste of them tomorrow and we will have to make a report to T&M on all aspects of their growth, yield, taste etc at the end of September, so we're hoping they taste as good as they look...
Hi Barry I started picking a week ago and have had about 7lb so far off 18 canes half of which are next to a fence and don't really produce many beans but act as a support.

This was not my first choice of variety, I grow for taste not quantity. I always start my beans off early indoors then plant out protected by plastic mugs. This year the first lot I started off in the house were ready to go out but the weather wasn't suitable so disposed of them and planted a second lot of seeds purchased from the local garden centre. Big mistake.

It looks as thought these will crop heavily over a very short period of time so lots at once then none. Still at least I have some beans, my sister in Derbyshire has practical none, the slugs got all the plants.

Next year I will go back to Scarlet Emperor
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 10:24 PM

My tomatoes are still a disaster..this is a first for us. My grandaughter mentioned yesterday, that last year she remembers picking the yellow coloured toms for us but eating as many as she put in the trug.
My runner beans have suddenly got bunches of beans and the flavour is good, even raw. Can't remember which variety Tomorrow I'll be picking them for the table and freezer (I'll weigh them too)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
My tomatoes are still a disaster..this is a first for us. My grandaughter mentioned yesterday, that last year she remembers picking the yellow coloured toms for us but eating as many as she put in the trug.
My runner beans have suddenly got bunches of beans and the flavour is good, even raw. Can't remember which variety Tomorrow I'll be picking them for the table and freezer (I'll weigh them too)
Janela I wish you could remember the variety of beans , mine taste horrid raw and of not much at all when cooked (I steam them ). I am still picking lots but they will be over very quickly.

What a shame about your tomatoes. My one tomato plant by the kitchen door which I feed weekly has turned into a huge tree and is trying to gain access to the kitchen . There are quite a few tomatoes on there but if they ever ripen is a different matter. I am expecting them to split or drop off
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Oh dear, I meant to look up the variety of beans Meg ...I'll do it tomorrow.

I have about six or seven tomato plants and they are no more than a foot high! They have a couple of toms on each, but they are small. We normally put canes in to support them. All we can think is the rain, getting them in late and no sun. If we had known, we'd have grown them in the greenhouse.

My first real picking of beans today, we had 1lb 1oz and by Sunday there should be the same again. We have 18 canes.
My sweet peppers, grown from seed, are no more than 8 inches but they are flowering and I can see the peppers starting.
I do so love this time of year.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-08-2012, 09:45 PM

Oh dear, I meant to look up the variety of beans Meg ...I'll do it tomorrow.

I have about six or seven tomato plants and they are no more than a foot high! They have a couple of toms on each, but they are small. We normally put canes in to support them. All we can think is the rain, getting them in late and no sun. If we had known, we'd have grown them in the greenhouse.

My first real picking of beans today, we had 1lb 1oz and by Sunday there should be the same again. We have 18 canes.
My sweet peppers, grown from seed, are no more than 8 inches but they are flowering and I can see the peppers starting.
I do so love this time of year.
Produce seem very hit and miss this year Janela I have the same number of canes, I guess your beans will still be going when mine are finished.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

10-08-2012, 07:41 PM

I put in two varieties of beans..Mr.Fothergill's Enorma which are quite long but not doing as well as Marshalls Firestorm which are self pollinating and supposedly stringless..this is the one I've been picking and shoving in my gob as I go by. seems to be a good flavour raw, I've not cooked any yet.
I usually blanche mine too, never thought of freezing them without. I'll try a few without blanching though.
Do you salt the water?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-08-2012, 08:35 PM

I put in two varieties of beans..Mr.Fothergill's Enorma which are quite long but not doing as well as Marshalls Firestorm which are self pollinating and supposedly stringless..this is the one I've been picking and shoving in my gob as I go by. seems to be a good flavour raw, I've not cooked any yet.
I usually blanche mine too, never thought of freezing them without. I'll try a few without blanching though.
Do you salt the water?
Enorma is quite a popular variety , I have never heard of Firestorm . I am going back to the old varieties next year , the ones I grew 2 years ago were good but I can't remember the name.
I don't use salt Janela
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

11-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Janela I wish you could remember the variety of beans , mine taste horrid raw and of not much at all when cooked (I steam them ). I am still picking lots but they will be over very quickly.
How strange, the latest beans taste ok raw , I wonder if the early ones tasted unpleasant through lack of sun
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 06:33 PM

I must admit to never having eaten runner beans raw although I have been known to try most things, so I will have to give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes. We had some of our runners with lunch today, but like I have already said they didn't seem to have much flavour. I do believe the modern varieties are bred more for yield and texture at the expense of taste.....

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top