Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Re: Veg Garden Harvest

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Looks to be well worth doing Meg. Bet they are tasty.
The tomatoes on my daft plants are nowhere near the size of yours but they really should have gone in the bin, so the few that I get will be a bonus.
I chopped down my runner beans today Though some were still flowering, the beans were not growing and some were just shrivelling. I'm going to put the garlic there soon. Marco was the variety I bought..supposed to be good storers.
Hi Janela they taste ok . Next year I will be growing Elegance which I have been buying from Waitrose, they have a lovely flavour.
I am giving the beans another week before pulling them up, there are still some growing.
Good luck with the garlic, I am eating mine so quickly I won't have to worry about storing it though so far it has stored well (hung on the washing line on fine days now hanging in the garage) and it has remained really juicy.

I have erected a small frame with wires for my few raspberry canes which are due to arrive in October along with the garlic . The strawberries are looking good in their troughs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
That's quite a good trick with the toms Meg, I used to wrap them in tissue and pop them into a drawer where they ripened up as well... Although when we had a real glut I used to enjoy making green tomato chutney which was very popular with friends and neighbours.
Hi Barry the beauty of keeping them on the vine is they retain their fragrance.
I used to make chutney too but gave most of it away so now stick to pickled cabbage and onions which I prefer to eat.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 07:45 PM

I've had about 8lbs of fruit from my Oregon Thornless blackberries already, and I thought I might pick the last of them today but surprisingly it looks like they might go on for another couple of weeks yet...

I have also been picking more raspberries from my autumn fruiting canes (Joan J). I am picking around 8oz every day from a ten foot row and will probably continue to do so for a while yet, so after having lost completely my strawberries, summer raspberries and plums, some of the other fruit crops are finally filling the big gap in our freezer...
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2012, 08:03 PM

I have a very small blueberry bush in my back garden. Planted it last year. My 4yr old grandson was very happy picking the blueberry's from the bush washing them in a bowl and eating them. He always waited till they were ripe.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2012, 12:57 PM

How lovely Shaz..I love letting my grandchildren pick what little crops I have. And watching them eat as much as they pick
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Well I've finally finished picking fruit from the garden today with the last of the blackberries and autumn raspberries. In spite of bemoaning the poor show earlier in the year and having lost all the strawberries, summer raspberries and 95% of the plums to adverse weather, we really haven't fared too badly.

Totals for the year (mostly stacked away now in the freezer)..

Gooseberries 22lb
Blackcurrant 8.5 lb
Loganberry 9.75lb
Rhubarb 13.25lb
Blackberry 9.25lb
Raspberry 13.75lb
Blueberry 5lb

So all in all quite a satisfactory crop it and should keep us going now right through the winter and spring....
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2012, 07:10 PM

Barry, that's brilliant.
Makes me wish I had dug up more lawn to grow more fruit and that we hadn't changed our chest freezer for an upright one.
I prepared the beds with manure, for the garlic and strawberries today, was going to plant them but my back gave up I'm gradually lifting and taking cuttings of geraniums though, I do like working in the greenhouse.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

07-10-2012, 10:55 PM

Barry that is very impressive , I wish I had the room to grow more in my tiny garden.

Janela I hope you back has recovered. My garlic is late arriving this year but should be here this week and I hope to get it in straight away.

The strawberry plants I moved into tubs have taken well and are looking good. The raspberry canes should arrive soon, the ground is all ready for them .
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

09-10-2012, 10:24 PM

I planted my garlic and strawberries this morning and laid some plastic netting over them. The bl**dy squirrels won't be digging them up!
My back is ok thanks Meg..I used a long handled hand trowel and a 'pick up' stick to plant them.
We went to fill the seed feeders and found the wire on the peanut one was chewed and a plastic one had a very big hole, so big that one of the perches was on the ground!
Looks like all our feeders will be squirrel-proof soon.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top