Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 10:12 PM

Boiler Service

If you have gas central heating, how much would you be expecting to pay for this year's winter boiler service?
Do you think it's important to have a boiler serviced every year?
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Re: Boiler Service

A local (Gas Safe) engineer does ours every year in January for £80, which is a good price in my book. Yes, I could probably get a big company out to do it for a bit cheaper, but I believe in supporting local businesses.

I think it is very important to have it serviced, why? Well, I bought our Vaillant combination boiler in 1990 when the house was built, and made a point of having it regularly serviced. The result? It still works to this day.

My mother-in-law is another story however, they practically have to break the door down to service hers. Before she had it done last year it went 6 years without so much as a pressure check! Considering she refuses to have a carbon monoxide alarm, it is a miracle she's still alive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
A local (Gas Safe) engineer does ours every year in January for £80, which is a good price in my book. Yes, I could probably get a big company out to do it for a bit cheaper, but I believe in supporting local businesses.

I think it is very important to have it serviced, why? Well, I bought our Vaillant combination boiler in 1990 when the house was built, and made a point of having it regularly serviced. The result? It still works to this day.

My mother-in-law is another story however, they practically have to break the door down to service hers. Before she had it done last year it went 6 years without so much as a pressure check! Considering she refuses to have a carbon monoxide alarm, it is a miracle she's still alive.
Hello Oldbugger - I phoned 2 local gas safe firms today for prices and one was £60 inc. vat, and the other was £68 inc. vat.
I too, have a Vaillant combi boiler, but I only had it put in in 2007, and so far (touch wood), I have been very pleased with it.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2013, 10:36 PM

That sounds reasonable enough, is it only for service, or does it cover call outs and parts if anything goes wrong?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-08-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
That sounds reasonable enough, is it only for service, or does it cover call outs and parts if anything goes wrong?
That's just for an annual service Valice.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 12:24 AM

Well, my old lass was installed in 1983 and (fingers crossed) she'll still fit and well.

She was only serviced for the first time three years ago and had a clean bill of health, and the reason I waited for so long was because I couldn't afford a service.

So, when I was still with E-on I received a letter telling me that I could have my boiler serviced once a year for £11.50 a month, including parts. A lot of money really, but it was the only way I could pay.

Since then, I've had phone calls about the Government Scheme to upgrade old boilers (like meself) but, because I don't receive any benefits, I'm not entitled to a new one.

Folk on the dole who've never worked a day in their lives are entitled, but I isn't, and I is not a happy bunny 'cos if that old girl breaks down, there is no way I could afford a new one on my pension. Go figure.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 07:21 AM

We have paid British Gas from day one in 1989 to service ours every year, the cost covers all parts and labour and call out charges if it goes wrong too. We pay £20 a month for that cover but over the years we have more than recouped the cost, 3 timers, 2 programmers, and 3 radiators and their call out charges for 2 bank holiday call outs.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 08:42 AM

Gas boilers need servicing every year to prevent them discharging CO2 into the air which could kill you. You should also get a 'Gas Safety Certificate' for your house Insurance. If things go wrong, and you don't have the certificate, your insurance may be invalidated.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 01:42 PM

I have my boiler serviced every year (usually in the summer when the gas techs are quieter) and it costs around £90 depending on who I call in. Never had a problem with it (other than I have to reset the pressure every so often). Money well spent to make sure I have heating and hot water
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 01:56 PM

We pay a local company £120 a year, for which they service the boiler and cover the whole system parts and labour for the next twelve months. A fair price I reckon..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top