Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2013, 07:36 PM

'The Artist'

Has anyone seen this film 'The artist' - is it really a silent film, I like 'Laurel & Hardy' but preferred the talkie versions... Cannot imagine a 'silent' movie now.....
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2013, 11:49 PM

Re: 'The Artist'

I've not seen it, what's it about?
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2013, 11:51 PM

Yes, I have, and it was very good. I know it sounds like an odd thing to do but it actually works. it's not a slapstick comedy and has a musical sound track but because it tells the very touching story of famous silent movie stars, it really works and won awards.

We happened to see it at a tiny arts cinema in the old town of Hastings last summer while we were on holiday.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Synopsis

Outside a movie premiere, enthusiastic fan Peppy Miller literally bumps into the swashbuckling hero of the silent film, George Valentin. The star reacts graciously and Peppy plants a kiss on his cheek as they are surrounded by photographers. The headlines demand: "Who's That Girl?" and Peppy is inspired to audition for a dancing bit-part at the studio. However as Peppy slowly rises through the industry, the introduction of talking-pictures turns Valentin's world upside-down.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2013, 11:59 PM

Hmm... I might have to watch that though I think it may be more of my wife's cup of tea.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 05:06 PM

Thank you so much Jean - sounds right up my street !...
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2013, 05:47 PM

I avoided when it came out because of the raving praise from arty farty types,. Now that the hype has calmed down I might watch it on tv.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top