Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:29 PM

Re: Fuse Box puzzle....

I believe the following is correct. When I had a new consumer unit, to replace a very old one with fuses, the fridge / freezer was put on a separate MCB as it was known to be a problem, causing the electricity supply to trip out.

If that's not exactly the correct explanation I am sure someone will put that right.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Nothing that you could have checked really - anything with a motor (power surge when switching on) could have tripped the breaker (MCB) so unless your central heating was switching on at 2:30 in the morning (doubtful), I'd continue to suspect the fridge/freezer. Not a great deal you can do about it unless it gets to be a regular problem. Hopefully, it was just a one-off glitch.

ETA: Do you have a security light connected to the socket circuit via a fused spur? They're notorious for tripping MCBs off, especially when they begin to get old and corrode.

Yes, I'm beginning to suspect it's the F/F. I hope it's not going to go belly up with this lockdown malarky. I don't do online shopping which would mean I'd be in silly street if it gave up the ghost.

Yes I have two security lights but I think they run from the electrics in the garage (on a separate circuit). One doesn't work, which I think is the bulb, but I can't get up there to replace it. The other gave up the ghost about 2yrs ago but on very rare occasions works for between 2 - 10 seconds at the most.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, exactly. I think you have a dirty mind Pesta.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

27-01-2021, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I believe the following is correct. When I had a new consumer unit, to replace a very old one with fuses, the fridge / freezer was put on a separate MCB as it was known to be a problem, causing the electricity supply to trip out.

If that's not exactly the correct explanation I am sure someone will put that right.
Ok Baz thanks. I'm beginning to understand that now. I've never had it happen before.

I won't be having the consumer unit changed - no matter how many times Eon sends me letters saying it needs changing as part of their Smart Meter campaign.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

That used to be the case with the older type of fridge freezers but with the modern electronic start variety, less so. Prior to the 17th Edition regulations, a F/Freezer could be put on its own circuit via an MCB and not connected to an RCD (Earth leakage circuit breaker) and had to be labelled as such to prevent the socket being used for equipment outdoors - lawn mowers, strimmers and the like. These days, everything is protected by a RCD.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->

Yes, I'm beginning to suspect it's the F/F. I hope it's not going to go belly up with this lockdown malarky. I don't do online shopping which would mean I'd be in silly street if it gave up the ghost.

Yes I have two security lights but I think they run from the electrics in the garage (on a separate circuit). One doesn't work, which I think is the bulb, but I can't get up there to replace it. The other gave up the ghost about 2yrs ago but on very rare occasions works for between 2 - 10 seconds at the most.
Are the garage electrics on their own or connected to the socket circuit?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

27-01-2021, 04:13 PM

Ok Baz thanks. I'm beginning to understand that now. I've never had it happen before.

I won't be having the consumer unit changed - no matter how many times Eon sends me letters saying it needs changing as part of their Smart Meter campaign.
Don't fall for that Malarkey, if your fuse-box complied with the Regulations in force at the time when it was installed, there's no requirement for it to comply with the latest Regulations. If that were the case, homes would be getting rewired every time there was Regulation change (3 changes since 2018 )
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

27-01-2021, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Are the garage electrics on their own or connected to the socket circuit?
They're on their own with their own trip switch. Originally when I first moved here the pond (that was) had electric pumps connected to it.

I vaguely remember the garage electrics were connected to the inside fuse box. When I moved here 9yrs ago and the pumps and their wires were taken out in the garage, I had the kitchen done. At that time the oven was gas and I wanted a double electric oven. So, the electrician made the one to the garage for the double oven meaning the garage's own circuit(?) is just that. Does that make sense?

BTW, it was the clock I checked... it's an hour and a half slower. Yes, you could argue it's the 'timer' but not in my book 'cos I don't use the timer
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

27-01-2021, 04:52 PM

They're on their own with their own trip switch. Originally when I first moved here the pond (that was) had electric pumps connected to it.

I vaguely remember the garage electrics were connected to the inside fuse box. When I moved here 9yrs ago and the pumps and their wires were taken out in the garage, I had the kitchen done. At that time the oven was gas and I wanted a double electric oven. So, the electrician made the one to the garage for the double oven meaning the garage's own circuit(?) is just that. Does that make sense?

BTW, it was the clock I checked... it's an hour and a half slower. Yes, you could argue it's the 'timer' but not in my book 'cos I don't use the timer

Re my BIB up top ... not sure that's true. Dug out the surveyor pic below:

(no idea why it's on it's side!)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	GARAGE ELEC.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	14646  
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 06:34 PM

I know a good electrician (lives near me in Chorlton) in case you ever want the consumer unit changing Pesta.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top