Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 03:14 PM

International Space Station

One thing you may not know about is the ability to be able to view the earth from the International Space Station (ISS) via live video screening.

http://www.n2yo.com/space-station/
This site gives you two windows:

... The left window shows you the actual position of the ISS at that time.
Please remember that with the ISS orbiting the earth once every 92 minutes, it will only be in daylight for fifty percent of that time.

... The right window shows you - when it is available - what it is like outside. When the screen is in blue, this is because (a) the ISS is above Russia or China, or (b) it is dark outside.
If you hover your mouse cursor over the bottom right of the right screen, you have the option to go full-screen: tap it again to return to normal size.

Occasionally, you get live video from within the ISS when the crew are doing something interesting. You also get to watch supply vessels arriving and departing, and even space walks.

There are other sites I will give you if there is any interest.
I can also tell you how to download the pictures, and use them for wallpaper shots.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 05:26 PM

Re: International Space Station

Thanks for that
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:46 PM

Hello Han, how did stars come about?
I think the reason they twinkle is because the sun is shining off of them?
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 06:48 PM

Hi everyone
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 07:05 PM

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload/pop-out

This is a straight forward video stream in HD and wide screen. There is no indication of where the ISS is.

There are 4 High Definition cameras on board at this time that are 'cheapos'. They're trialling them, but the crew have access to much more expensive equipment. Their definition is much, much greater than we are allowed to view.

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/#.U68FmWBOWpo

This site will allow you to input (and save) your present location, and it will forecast when the ISS becomes visible. You don't need binoculars or a telescope, and it is quite an amazing site.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 08:02 PM

No video showing at the moment. I have an email alert to tell me when it's coming overhead, but quite often can't be arsed to go outside! Now I have a pair of binns I will make an effort.

Thanks for this link.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 08:41 PM

Great! thanks for the link Hanfonius

Hi Autumn
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Han do you happen to know if some internet providers charge for viewing spotthestation.nasa,gov if you want alerts it does state they are not responsible for any charges made.
Hanfonius
North Wales

28-06-2014, 10:14 PM

Venus, as far as I know, the eMail alerts for the ISS passes are free.

However, there are no fly-overs before early-July. This is not unusual. If you look at the projected flight paths, you will see that you get about one or two dozen paths over France and the UK, then nothing for another ten days or so.

I watched the ISS go over on four or five consecutive nights last week. Easily visible, brighter than the brightest star, and you can clearly see it moving. With the naked eye, it looks just like a big star - you cannot see the solar panels or anything.
Hanfonius
North Wales

28-06-2014, 10:48 PM

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-iss-stream

This site does the same sort of job but.... it nearly always gives you a different camera view. If the crew inside the ISS are doing tasks, they will often give you internal video. Quite interesting, but way above my head.

Also, alongside you will find a live chatting group.

If you scroll down a bit, you will find an ISS locational indicator.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top