Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 07:17 AM

Re: Yellow Peril

Sorry Robert!
I wonder why they're allowed to plant it near houses!
There's just the sheep between me and it.
There's four or five fields of it in a semi circle!
I like my window open at night but, it's really affecting me!
Heaven knows what it will be like on harvest days!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Sorry Robert!
I wonder why they're allowed to plant it near houses!
There's just the sheep between me and it.
There's four or five fields of it in a semi circle!
I like my window open at night but, it's really affecting me!
Heaven knows what it will be like on harvest days!

I am sorry about your plight. THis extract from my diary from the 1980's might interest you. We called Rape plants the more aceptable MUSTARD then.

I once was driving along the A30 westward early in the morning and it was misty. I approached a slow incline and ether side of the road there was mustard plants as far as the eye could see. As I approached the top of this hill the sun burst through the mist lighting up the whole glorious golden yellow vista. Indescribably bright and golden, an incomparable spectacle which momentarily overwhelmed me. I could have been in heaven. It was as if God was trying out a new spectacle, with just me to experience it, A minute later the sun went back in and no one would have seen what I saw. Only God could put on a show like that, and not be even bothered whether anyone witnessed it or not

Many years later I was in a yoga group meditating . The leader was describing a warm place in the sun and I became instantly transported back to that golden hill. More than transported I became as one with that golden yellow substance & was happy to end my earthly existence there and then, but I knew it wasn’t my time yet, I had to exercise a superhuman effort of will to re enter my physical body. For some days afterwards life seemed very two dimensional.

Did I see the other side??
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 12:42 PM

It really affects my breathing but I do think it looks stunning.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 01:57 PM

Courtesy of Wikipaedia:

"The name derives from the Latin for turnip, rāpa or rāpum,"

"Historically, rapeseed was mainly produced as a source of lubricant for machinery (and earlier for lamp oil) due to its high levels of glucosinolate, a bitter substance which made the oil unpalatable, and erucic acid, a toxic substance associated with cardiac lesions"

Nice !!!!

"However, in 1973, Canadian agricultural scientists bred strains of rapeseed sufficiently low in these substances to make the crop palatable and safe for both human and livestock consumption"

Hmmm

"Rapeseed oil can contain up to 54% erucic acid.[21] Food-grade canola oil derived from rapeseed cultivars, also known as rapeseed 00 oil, low erucic acid rapeseed oil, LEAR oil, and rapeseed canola-equivalent oil, has been generally recognized as safe by the United States Food and Drug Administration.[22] Canola oil is limited by government regulation to a maximum of 2% erucic acid by weight in the USA[22] and 5% in the EU,[23] with special regulations for infant food. These low levels of erucic acid are not believed to cause harm in human neonates"

Right O!

Think I will stick to my Avocado Oil and Rice Bran Oil!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 05:14 PM

I have read that the plants also have very sharp razor like edges and easily cuts skin. I don't know if this is so, because I keep away from the stuff.
To be admired from afar I think.
My Mum used to call them "sunshine fields".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Does this stuff upset you? It gives me hayfever, headaches etc. I'm surrounded by it at the moment, in practically every field! Smells like old ladies knickers too!
I just wonder if it can upset our breathing does it upset our tums? Is it good for us?
Also is so much of it upsetting the insects, in particular the bees?
Who thought of calling it that odd name, oil seed rape?
(Why would anyone call a flowering plant "Rape"?)

Looks pretty
I suspect that is why they call it the more socially acceptable(?) Canola Oil now (as someone else mentioned CANada improved the strain)
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 06:32 AM

I didn't know that Bruce.
I know what I'd call it!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top