Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 07:50 AM

Re: Weather you like it or not!

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Did you know that across the globe there are hundreds, thousands of little lightning bolts happening every second?

This is actually free energy.

If you take a metal plate, say copper, which is say 1 meter square and attach a cable to it and fix that plate somewhere high up like near the roof of your house, then connect the cable to a voltage meter and the other terminal to a cable in the ground to earth it, the voltage meter will show power.

This energy is all around us because of the Earths electromagnetic field and all those constant lightning bolts.
Isn't lightning Static Electricity which can only be stored in a Leyden Jar and similar to fast twitch muscles in humans, the energy is released as one large pulse of power?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 07:51 AM

I have a pulse but its not electrifying.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I have a pulse but its not electrifying.

No, but it's something to be grateful for.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Isn't lightning Static Electricity which can only be stored in a Leyden Jar and similar to fast twitch muscles in humans, the energy is released as one large pulse of power?
You'd need a pretty big Leyden jar to store the energy in a single bolt of lightning!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You'd need a pretty big Leyden jar to store the energy in a single bolt of lightning!
I wish you hadn't done that JB, there I was eating my porridge on a sunny Saturday morning without a care in the world and I read your comment.
My mind went into overdrive as I considered the possibilities and will probably need to lie down in a darkened room for the rest of the day.

Firstly I would like to apologise to the thread starter for wandering off topic, but then I realised that it's all connected; The weather, energy, electrics and magnetism. Meg or Mags will probably shunt it to the 'Science Stuff'....And no doubt I will be hearing from Realist......something I always look forward to.

Back to Lightening! Yes JB I agree it would be a large Leyden Jar, I have only seen the discharge from a 'Wimhurst Machine?' charge up a Leyden Jar and it's tiny compared to a lightening bolt. But what if we could build a large enough Leyden Jar and discover a way to slowly discharge it; then I realised, we have got a large enough Leyden Jar, it's called 'Earth!' Positive electrons build up in the clouds and discharge to Earth, but that's not the full story. While watching a documentary where some scientists were using time lapse photography to study lightening it was found that occasionally lightening went the other way and discharged from Earth to the clouds. This has later been corroborated by work done in the space station.
And accounts given by survivors of lightening strikes who said the ground began to 'Crackle' prior to the strike suggests that there is something going on in the earth before the release of the bolt.

And while we are on the subject (this is for Realist) Tesla has been misunderstood.
He proclaimed that 'Energy was free' and he was absolutely right, except that 'Energy' which is produced by the Sun or Wind or Tide or Magnetics in the Earths magnetic fields is free but to turn it into useful electricity for use with our Computers, TV's and White Goods it must be converted by man, who will ask for some remuneration. I'm off for that lie down now........
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 01:09 PM

It's not off topic and it's already in science stuff so don't worry OGF!
Very interesting in fact.
You saying about something going on underground reminded me of the little "balls" of lightning I saw in Africa popping up from the ground, never seen anything like it since. Mind you the lightning there was fantastic, all types at the same time and turning the air blue, great stuff!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 01:23 PM

I too love thunderbolts and lightning. It's so exciting and very very frightening. Galileo, Galileo.......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 03:56 PM

Duh! Poink!

It's the weather, it's like the climate,!
If you can't climb it, go round it!

The thunder roared,
The lightning flashed
And all the World was shaken.
The little pig, curled up his tail
And ran to save his bacon!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Back to Lightening! Yes JB I agree it would be a large Leyden Jar, I have only seen the discharge from a 'Wimhurst Machine?' charge up a Leyden Jar and it's tiny compared to a lightening bolt. But what if we could build a large enough Leyden Jar and discover a way to slowly discharge it; then I realised, we have got a large enough Leyden Jar, it's called 'Earth!' Positive electrons build up in the clouds and discharge to Earth, but that's not the full story. While watching a documentary where some scientists were using time lapse photography to study lightening it was found that occasionally lightening went the other way and discharged from Earth to the clouds. This has later been corroborated by work done in the space station.
And accounts given by survivors of lightening strikes who said the ground began to 'Crackle' prior to the strike suggests that there is something going on in the earth before the release of the bolt.
Apart from electrons being negative(!), I agree with all you say. In a large cumulonimbus cloud the action of ice and water particles rising and lowering and 'rubbing against' each other creates both negative and positive ions in different parts of the cloud, some at the bottom and some at the top. It is, I understand, possible for either polarity to be at the bottom and induce an opposite charge in the earth's surface. For that reason, a discharge can travel from cloud to earth or from earth to cloud, or very often between different parts of the cloud. Of course, the discharge happens so quickly it is usually impossible to tell which way it is going. Then there is the matter of stepped leaders.
A very interesting subject, in my opinion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's not off topic and it's already in science stuff so don't worry OGF!
Very interesting in fact.
You saying about something going on underground reminded me of the little "balls" of lightning I saw in Africa popping up from the ground, never seen anything like it since. Mind you the lightning there was fantastic, all types at the same time and turning the air blue, great stuff!
Ball lightning is another very interesting phenomenon, and not understood apart from theories. I have never seen it, and neither have the vast majority of people, but I would dearly love to.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top