Join for free
Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 11:19 PM

Re: Non EU countries

My wife has a few drops of scottish blood in her ancestry. Her father came to England during WW2 and flew on a lancaster in the RAF.
So I may take you up on that offer!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
My wife has a few drops of scottish blood in her ancestry. Her father came to England during WW2 and flew on a lancaster in the RAF.
So I may take you up on that offer!
It's good to hear someone from continental Europe being thankful for our help those 70 years ago.

I'm afraid that one of the prime beneficiaries of all the British lives lost seems to have changed sides. That's France, of course.

But then, that's what they tend to do, looking back through history.

I'm sure that Annie will be back offering her criticism of living in the past.

What a shame that so many of our people, including my late Father's two brothers, died for that cause.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2018, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
It's good to hear someone from continental Europe being thankful for our help those 70 years ago.

I'm afraid that one of the prime beneficiaries of all the British lives lost seems to have changed sides. That's France, of course.

But then, that's what they tend to do, looking back through history.

I'm sure that Annie will be back offering her criticism of living in the past.

What a shame that so many of our people, including my late Father's two brothers, died for that cause.
Give it a rest and do something useful.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 10:04 AM

@scot37:
"You may not be aware of it Solasch but one of the prime objectives of the Scottish government is independence from the UK "

So the UK and Scotland are negotiating (a sort of article 50) procedure for Scotland to leave the UK?
No Solasch. We had an independence referendum in 2014 and the majority voted to stay in the UK. Off course those who chose to leave the UK won't accept the result.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
No Solasch. We had an independence referendum in 2014 and the majority voted to stay in the UK. Off course those who chose to leave the UK won't accept the result.
Indeed. The fundamental principle of democracy is that the majority vote wins, be it a referendum or a general or local election.

This has always worked well and, although the people who lost may have been dissatisfied, it is only recently that the objectors have worked so earnestly to attempt to overturn the vote.

Strangely, other democracies work better and their people accept majority decisions! Why can't we?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Indeed. The fundamental principle of democracy is that the majority vote wins, be it a referendum or a general or local election.

This has always worked well and, although the people who lost may have been dissatisfied, it is only recently that the objectors have worked so earnestly to attempt to overturn the vote.

Strangely, other democracies work better and their people accept majority decisions! Why can't we?
You do realise that democracy is a liberal concept don't you...? By their very nature democratic decisions aren't set in stone for ever. We have general elections every few years because people change their mind once they see what circus they really voted for. Brexit is no different.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You do realise that democracy is a liberal concept don't you...? By their very nature democratic decisions aren't set in stone for ever. We have general elections every few years because people change their mind once they see what circus they really voted for. Brexit is no different.
If brexit is not different, a second referendum on leaving the EU is a possibility? And a different outcome too?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:40 PM

If brexit is not different, a second referendum on leaving the EU is a possibility? And a different outcome too?
Certainly and that is what all the complaining is about, the lemmings are scared that the electorate might wake up.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2018, 09:43 PM

referendums clearly don't work in the UK. I'm sure if we'd had them on capital punishment, gay marriage, fox hunting, etc. we'd be stringing up people from lamp posts like they do in Saudi....
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

02-10-2018, 09:46 PM

I agree, but based on such referendum you want to leave the EU. According on your opinion of referenda that in not gonna work!

Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top