Join for free
Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:08 AM

Re: The Me Too Movement and Me...and Possibly You

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
It’s true that women should report rape and abuse when it happens. It helps their case and helps other women as well but some women are too traumatized to do so. Trauma causes all sorts of fear and reservations concerning the facts about what happened but most of all it destroys a person’s self esteem and confidence in themselves. If I person doesn’t feel any self worth then they see no reason to report it. There is such shame and embarrassment but mostly there is fear of not being believed or worse, abused again.

The very fact that they might have to stand trial and face their attacker is more than some can bare. By the time they are well enough to do so might be years away which can cause distrust.

Women who claim sexual assault when none has happened should be locked up with the key thrown away because it’s a huge disgrace to everyone. It’s unfair to the women who really have had this happen to them and obviously unfair to innocent men who were accused. Liars ruin it for everyone but unfortunately they always have and always will.
In some cases it is true that the victim may be traumatized, and it is their right to chose whether they report it......so why do they choose to report it years later, when there is even less chance of the perpetrator being punished?

Some people, who are violently assaulted, feel traumatized too, but most still report it asap. If they attend hospital there will always be reports of their injuries, if they they don't report it immediately.... but most do because they want justice.
If you are raped, which is also a violent assault, and you don't report it immediately, aren't you giving the perpetrator a free ticket to go out and do it again?

If we don't report burglaries, the people who do them will feel it is easy to go out and do more..... but most people report them. What a shame that people don't put the same value on their bodies as they do on their valuables!

Perhaps the Me too Movement, would do a better job if they taught all women that people in rape crisis centres are understanding a gentle. Perhaps they should be challenging how the courts deal with rape cases, but one thing they shouldn't be doing is encouraging women, many years later, to report rape as there will be no evidence!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Perhaps the Me too Movement, would do a better job if they taught all women that people in rape crisis centres are understanding and gentle. Perhaps they should be challenging how the courts deal with rape cases, but one thing they shouldn't be doing is encouraging women, many years later, to report rape as there will be no evidence!
Very true !
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 07:48 AM

In some cases it is true that the victim may be traumatized, and it is their right to chose whether they report it......so why do they choose to report it years later, when there is even less chance of the perpetrator being punished?

Some people, who are violently assaulted, feel traumatized too, but most still report it asap. If they attend hospital there will always be reports of their injuries, if they they don't report it immediately.... but most do because they want justice.
If you are raped, which is also a violent assault, and you don't report it immediately, aren't you giving the perpetrator a free ticket to go out and do it again?

If we don't report burglaries, the people who do them will feel it is easy to go out and do more..... but most people report them. What a shame that people don't put the same value on their bodies as they do on their valuables!

Perhaps the Me too Movement, would do a better job if they taught all women that people in rape crisis centres are understanding a gentle. Perhaps they should be challenging how the courts deal with rape cases, but one thing they shouldn't be doing is encouraging women, many years later, to report rape as there will be no evidence!
Yes Twink, this all makes perfect logical sense but that’s why it’s called ‘mental illness.’ These ARE the true facts why some rapes aren’t reported right away or even at ALL. They DON’T put the same value on their body as they do other valuables and might never. Yes it IS a shame but that’s part of the complexity of rape and violent assault.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 09:28 AM

Oh, I don't know. There may be a personal emotional gain in finally getting something off your chest which has been bugging you for years on end. There's also the prospect of subsequently discovering that you were not alone in being treated this way by the perpetrator, which may help in some way on an individual or "newfound" group basis.

So, emotionally, it may well be a good thing to do.

As for the rest of your post, you are entirely correct in that there will be very little likelihood of "physical" evidence and the whole case comes down to having to decide whose "word" is more likely to be true. In the absence of medical evidence, the more witnesses that might emerge will at least add a degree of credibility to one's claims. If a legal "justice" may not be metered out, but at least a "name and shame" form will, and the perpetrator won't have got away with his/her misdemeanours scot free.

But, as stated throughout many threads, all of this assumes that there actually was a case to answer by the accused, and that it's not a situation of false vilification of character.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Yes Twink, this all makes perfect logical sense but that’s why it’s called ‘mental illness.’ These ARE the true facts why some rapes aren’t reported right away or even at ALL. They DON’T put the same value on their body as they do other valuables and might never. Yes it IS a shame but that’s part of the complexity of rape and violent assault.
Where trauma is a mental illness, surely they should be seeking help from a doctor or psychologist. This is not my personal opinion, it comes from helping a very close male friend, who was seriously sexually abused by a foster parent over 3 years. I won't give all the details but the paedophile involved got 20 years in prison & several social service employees were forced to leave their job because my friend put himself though the trauma of going to court.... so I am sure you can understand that this was considerably worse than a one time rape. He did it because he didn't want others to try and take their own lives, as he had.
I became his friend years later and it was me that persuaded him to to get Psychological help....as it was obvious he had mental problems.
What I am saying is that activist groups should be working on encouraging people to deal with the trauma, via healthcare, and supporting them much earlier.
Too many "late" rape claims are often made by women who have other reasons than justice, for making the claim and they show little respect for the poor women who do go though the trauma of reporting it early.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:10 AM

Where trauma is a mental illness, surely they should be seeking help from a doctor or psychologist. This is not my personal opinion, it comes from helping a very close male friend, who was seriously sexually abused by a foster parent over 3 years. I won't give all the details but the paedophile involved got 20 years in prison & several social service employees were forced to leave their job because my friend put himself though the trauma of going to court.... so I am sure you can understand that this was considerably worse than a one time rape. He did it because he didn't want others to try and take their own lives, as he had.
I became his friend years later and it was me that persuaded him to to get Psychological help....as it was obvious he had mental problems.
What I am saying is that activist groups should be working on encouraging people to deal with the trauma, via healthcare, and supporting them much earlier.
Too many "late" rape claims are often made by women who have other reasons than justice, for making the claim and they show little respect for the poor women who do go though the trauma of reporting it early.
That's what I think Twink. Not only is it better for the victim but also the accused. Imagine being asked where you were on the 4th March 1987 for instance.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

30-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That's what I think Twink. Not only is it better for the victim but also the accused. Imagine being asked where you were on the 4th March 1987 for instance.
Ok I now have to ask you, where you were on 4th of March 1987?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Ok I now have to ask you, where you were on 4th of March 1987?
Absolutely no idea: lol:
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

30-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Absolutely no idea: lol:
Well I know because you were behind the bike sheds with me, promising to mend my bike... till you molested me! I am taking you to court Longdogs

You will probably get a prison sentence, and I bet you have no alibi!

This is how easy it is to accuse rape from years ago... oh and here are a few tears to convince the judge
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Activist groups should be working on supporting those who have been through this trauma if it’s reported. IF it’s reported!!! Yes trauma IS mental illness BUT part of that mental illness is hiding from society and it IS a normal response for someone having been through such a horrific ordeal.

Your friend was lucky to have someone like you who he clearly trusted. People who are violently raped and assaulted don’t trust that readily and while there are some similarities of sexual crimes, each case is different. There can be some very complicated factors which can make testifying impossible for some.

Of course trauma is a mental illness that needs medical attention but THIS in itself is WHY mental illness is so difficult. Your friend could trust on your healthy brain to help him out ‘because’ he trusted you as a person. Most people , after years of abuse , are NOT that trusting. In fact most people who have been through years of hideous abuse don’t trust at all which is the very reason they go into hiding mode.

Quote: Late rape claims are often made by women who have other reasons other than justice for making the claim and they show little respect for the poor woman who do go through the trauma of reporting the it early. End quote!

Well of course! This is why there are so many pissed off men and women regarding all of this. It ticks me off to no end. You can’t possibly imagine what it’s like to hibernate for close to ten years, not wanting to show your face to anyone due to the shame and trauma involved in rape, kidnapping and violent crimes knowing full well that there are some scumbags who knowingly fabricate stories of such abuse and get away with it. It ruins it for everyone.

One thing that we definitely should NEVER, EVER do is make VICTIMS feel guilty for NOT reporting it. Victims should report THEIR crimes when THEY are ready. The last thing victims of this type of crime need is to feel guilty.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.psyc...d-sooner%3famp

Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top