Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:07 AM

Re: Is life easier without opinions?

I agree Art.
Life would be dull if we didn’t have an opinion.
Knowing when to voice them -especially in these ultra snowflake times can be tricky .
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:26 AM

If we didn't have differing opinions, how boring the world would be!

If we don't share our opinions, why come on to a forum because discussion will always have differing opinions?

I have no problem hearing others opinions, but I do dislike it when some argue constantly against other's opinions..... because then it becomes and argument that sometimes gets unpleasant!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:29 AM

My opinion is that all of the above opinions are correct. If you say opinion over and over steadily for a couple of minutes, it starts to sound really weird in my opinion...opinion...opinion...opinion...opinion... .....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:31 AM

Opinions are OK if we can accept that, like ourselves, everybody's opinion is going to be different, very different. They always will be due to how our opinions are formed from so many different sources, that information will also be interpreted differently by that person and by others too in their own way. To actually listen to another person's opinion it's usually possible to learn something, however small that snippet may actually be.

Opinions are after all, what make us the person we are, and nobody can be other than that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
My opinion is that all of the above opinions are correct. If you say opinion over and over steadily for a couple of minutes, it starts to sound really weird in my opinion...opinion...opinion...opinion...opinion... .....
Sorry, I just couldn't think of another word for "opinion" that wouldn't change what I was trying to say!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 09:09 AM

I'd say opinions are formed early on when reading, hearing about or experiencing anything. From then on, opinions won't be changed. There are exceptions of course but I believe it's true to say that once an opinion is formed, it nearly always becomes set in stone. You can mull opinions over with others, discuss them to kingdom come but minds are rarely changed.

These days, I try not to have strong opinions on matters that I can't influence, or am not willing to actively do something about in the places where it might have an effect. It's somewhat of a safe bubble but I think I'm happier for it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:44 AM

Monday to Friday I have 'A Pinny On' I cook all the meals on those days, and Mrs Fox has her 'Pinny On' at weekends....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:56 AM

The trouble is; opinions are rarely our own, or have been influenced by the media. You might disagree with something you have read in newspaper or seen on TV so you have been influenced to disagree. Some things are done purposely to make you disagree. It's called 'Reverse Psychology'....Or to provoke a response.

Opinions as you get older appear like booting up a computer. These are the foundations to base your opinions on; Your religion, your politics, sexual orientation, and all the things you deem to be right or wrong. Sometimes, not having an opinion allows those who have, to get their own way.....That's why we have referendums and polls. To make sure we are all singing from the same song sheet....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:58 AM

Opinions are IMHO part of motivation, where motivation is the homeostatic imbalance between the ego and the id.

Paradoxically, I only have one fixed opinion that one should never have fixed opinions.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:14 AM

Offensive opinionated people are all about being in control and never losing that control. By talking down to you they will do one of two things that keep them in control of you. Either they will intimidate you to the point that you become submissive, or they will so infuriate you that they hijack your ability to think clearly and respond rationally. That’s because you’re using all your energy to keep a lid on wanting to rip their throat out..

Sounds about right

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top