Join for free
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 11:07 AM

TV licenses and the over 75s

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...LBeGJ3U5NRxmRf
They will have to come and knock on my door before I get one. Then I shall just act dumb, which is not hard for me to do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 11:20 AM

Re: TV licenses and the over 75s

I cancelled my BBC Tax a couple of weeks ago and now rely on our Firestick.
There's nothing on the box these days and I was pleased to find far more worth watching on the Firestick (internet).

More importantly, I resent compulsorily paying to support the politically biased BBC.

From what I read in the press, more and more people are cancelling their licences every day. Sooner or later the BBC will end up having to fend for itself and use advertising like everyone else.

The upshot of that is that if they want to survive they'll have to provide programmes that people want to watch and, perhaps more to the point, stop peddling their left-wing views!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 11:39 AM

BBC TV is indeed pretty dire but there's a whole lot more delivered by the BBC than just TV. What's more the UK is far from having the highest licence fee in Europe.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 12:16 PM

The point is, that you may think that the licence money is supporting the BBC, which I suppose it does. But the fee is for owning ‘Television receiving equipment’. So it don’t matter what device you use to receive TV signals.
And now the debate starts against what I have just written.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
The point is, that you may think that the licence money is supporting the BBC, which I suppose it does. But the fee is for owning ‘Television receiving equipment’. So it don’t matter what device you use to receive TV signals.
I'm afraid you're mistaken.

I own television receiving equipment, but am not obliged to pay a fee for it.
If you do not watch any live broadcast television programmes or any BBC catch-up programmes, you need not have a licence even if you have a television capable of receiving them.

I have read through all the details supplied by TV Licensing and, just for good measure, I have removed the aerial leads from both of our tellies.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
That situation changed some years ago.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 03:21 PM

There is quite a large following now on FB and Twitter called Defund the BBC, lots of advice on how cancel your tv licence. The main thrust being that IF the licensing goons come to your home that they have no right of entry unless they have a warrant, you are advised not to answer their questions when they ask for your name.
The chances of them actually visiting is very small but you will get threatening litters of large fines or imprisonment in a gulag.
Not quite sure what the current figures are but sources have mentioned that some 300,000 people no longer have licences ..that’s a lot of dosh out of the BBC coffee fund.
My licence is due for renewal on the 1st Aug. I have contacted TVL online, filled in the form stating I no longer want one.....
I await the threats....

Vlad..living on the edge
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-07-2020, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
There is quite a large following now on FB and Twitter called Defund the BBC, lots of advice on how cancel your tv licence. The main thrust being that IF the licensing goons come to your home that they have no right of entry unless they have a warrant, you are advised not to answer their questions when they ask for your name.
The chances of them actually visiting is very small but you will get threatening litters of large fines or imprisonment in a gulag.
Not quite sure what the current figures are but sources have mentioned that some 300,000 people no longer have licences ..that’s a lot of dosh out of the BBC coffee fund.
My licence is due for renewal on the 1st Aug. I have contacted TVL online, filled in the form stating I no longer want one.....
I await the threats....

Vlad..living on the edge
I shouldn't expect all the threatening letters, especially now with the Covid restrictions. As I understand it, they are too busy what with all these people ditching their TV Licences!

I cancelled mine two weeks ago and haven't heard a dicky bird yet. If and when they call, I shall be very polite and invite them in... but then remember to ask if I could see their court order!

My natural reaction would then be to joke about it and let them in, as there's nothing for them to see. Both TV sets show 'no signal' as the aerial leads are unplugged. There's no evidence of our watching live TV or BBC catch-up, so they'd have to go away disappointed.

I might even mention to them why I cancelled: nothing but crap on TV today; blatant left-wing leaning of the BBC; etc.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 03:37 PM

Outstanding JBR! They won’t take us alive!
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

11-07-2020, 04:07 PM

Now here is an idea.
If and when they knock on the door, I will not hear them as I have hearing problems. But when they ring the door bell, and I answer it after I have pulled out the antenna lead. And also have a stack of DVDs by the TV. Also the PS4 plugged in. Game on.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top