Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 11:50 AM

Re: Blaming the poor

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There seems to be a lot of assumptions in the construction of that article.
I would expect nothing else from the Guardian with its skewed slant on everything!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 01:31 PM

It is but sometimes it does get things right .
The tube thing was spot on everyone called people using the tube corvid idiots without considering how they were in fact going to get to work .
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by longdriver ->
i would expect nothing else from the guardian with its skewed slant on everything!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Oh Percy! Where do I start.....
The minimum wage should be abolished, or reduced to A fiver an hour. This in turn would lower the national average and ensure that small companies could afford to employ more people. Labour is just too costly in this country and has priced us out of a global market and reduced many into poverty due to a lack of manual jobs.

Most people who are in poverty are not academic or can not be trained to be doctors, dentists, architects and engineers. They are destined to be manual labourers of which there are very few positions in today's hi tech world, and the more we employ machines, computers and AI to take the place of manual labourers, the more people will end up on the poverty line...

All these robots are achieving is to provide bragging rights for the few scientist, designers and engineers and to make documentaries for the BBC (look how progressive and innovative we are) and providing cheap goods, but does nothing to help the working man, except take away his livelihood.

Only the cream of our school leavers should be attending university, it makes some of them lazy and ill qualified for the real world, and by the time comes for them to enter the big wide world, mostly with qualifications that will never apply to proper employment, they are too old to be retrained or take an apprenticeship. In fact, too over qualified and soft to even go crop picking on farms, hence the need to employ foreign labour.

I used to deliver the post on some of the roughest council estates here in the North where nobody had a proper job, but every house had a sky dish and 52" telly, they all had state of the art smartphones and wore the latest designer gear.....These my friends are the people living in poverty.
Their attitude to the work ethic is zilch, and they are untrainable, but they know how to work the system better than any accountant, and they will never change while it is more beneficial to claim benefits and toss it off all day with a few cans of lager while watching the latest box sets.....
I agree entirely with what you've posted OGF, I only gave those figures as an example. There will always be a very small percentage of people who cannot work for various medical reasons but, most of the rest of the so-called poor, I suggest, are nothing more than scroungers and should be forced to earn their benefits. I don't care whether they are educated or not, they can push a brush and clean the streets, or empty bins, for God's sake.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I agree entirely with what you've posted OGF, I only gave those figures as an example. There will always be a very small percentage of people who cannot work for various medical reasons but, most of the rest of the so-called poor, I suggest, are nothing more than scroungers and should be forced to earn their benefits. I don't care whether they are educated or not, they can push a brush and clean the streets, or empty bins, for God's sake.
I agree with you entirely about working to earn your dole money
Percy!
But l believe that a high proportion of claimants will allready be
on disability benefits, either fraudulent or real?
Usually with a ' bad back'! or similar unprovable complaint?
How do you deal with this sort of thing in a so called fair society?

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
You're a proper 'Gent' Percy....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I agree with you entirely about working to earn your dole money
Percy!
But l believe that a high proportion of claimants will allready be on disability benefits, either fraudulent or real?
Usually with a ' bad back'! or similar unprovable complaint?
How do you deal with this sort of thing in a so called fair society?

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎
I've got a bad back but it doesn't stop me from doing jobs around the place! Rant over . There should be some sort of mechanism in place for these idle sods to go for tests, scans, chiropractor sessions, etc and then released into the workplace. If they still complained of a bad back or whatever, they should be left to swing in the wind. I know 2 guys, one totally blind, the other slightly brain damaged at birth. Both hold down full time jobs and both get on with living life to the full. Neither get state support although the SBD one does have a carer call in once or twice a week to help him with shopping, etc. If they can do it, so can many hundred if not thousands of others in this country.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top