Join for free
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 10:05 PM

Stop the Scammers

When are BT who make £millions profit and Google with it's $Billions, going to stop the scamming of the elderly in particular.
BT should close down these Call Centres specially set up to defraud the public and both BT and Google should be heavily penalised for allowing fraudster scammers to use their facilities

Some elderlypeople quite intelligent, have sent £50.000 to scammers, firmly beleiving a £Million checque is on the way in the post.
They are relucant to give their family 'Power of Attorney'so familes have to take legal action to stop it.

Surely in this digital age it can be stopped and scammers brough to justice.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 10:21 PM

Re: Stop the Scammers

Originally Posted by Azure ->
When are BT who make £millions profit and Google with it's $Billions, going to stop the scamming of the elderly in particular.
BT should close down these Call Centres specially set up to defraud the public and both BT and Google should be heavily penalised for allowing fraudster scammers to use their facilities

Some elderly people, quite intelligent, have sent £50,000 to scammers, firmly believing a £Million cheque is on the way in the post.
They are relucant to give their family 'Power of Attorney'so familes have to take legal action to stop it.

Surely in this digital age it can be stopped and scammers brough to justice.
One problem with those calls is that they are now coming from abroad. I've had some of these the last few days, the area code is 001 indicating they are from abroad. Until today I always thought there is nothing BT can do about this although those coming from the UK use BT lines etc., so could have been stopped. However, BT receives payment for the UK line rental and calls so I leave the obvious conclusion to you.

It is possible to buy devices that exclude all incoming calls except those on a list chosen by the person who has the number and account. These work OK but need to be set-up initially and often an older person cannot always manage this.

I was advised by a family member only today that it is possible to get BT to bar the calls with the 001 area code, not too sure if there's a charge for this as I am no longer with BT. It is possible other providers can do the same but I am not sure.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 10:53 PM

Baz 46
Yes you are right Bt is makng money ot of these Call Centres.
Many are from Africa and the govenment do very little to stop it.
Surprisingly many intellegent British womem like Teachers and Solicitors happily send £Thousands to men they have never seen and often have false identities afte rbeing Sweet talked, even thoguh there is plenty of advice about being defrauded.

How can they be so guillable or Hard up for a man?. If they want to give their money away, there are plenty of British men available.
Also planty of genuine men in Uk available for friendship and dating as well.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Baz 46
Yes you are right Bt is makng money ot of these Call Centres.
Many are from Africa and the govenment do very little to stop it.
Surprisingly many intellegent British womem like Teachers and Solicitors happily send £Thousands to men they have never seen and often have false identities afte rbeing Sweet talked, even thoguh there is plenty of advice about being defrauded.

How can they be so guillable or Hard up for a man?. If they want to give their money away, there are plenty of British men available.
Also planty of genuine men in Uk available for friendship and dating as well.
Also money is made by BT from selling the devices to prevent unwanted incoming calls.

I would definitely question the 'intelligence' of anyone who sends money to a stranger. Gullible is about right. Perhaps that says as much about them as it does when speaking about no-good scammers? No gullible people equals no scammers, but then there are human beings!

Genuine friendship, even dating, doesn't cost anything other than the usual expenses of being friendly and pleasant, and above all honest, IMO that is.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:34 AM

How low humanity stoops is no surprise to me.
Some humans can be nasty creatures but there will always be bad apples amongst us

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top