Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:20 PM

Re: Barnier Turns a Blind Eye to EU Destruction of Fish Stocks

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Isn't the CFP wonderful to allow countries like yours to destroy natural habitats and devastate fisheries so you can make a profit out of someone else's natural resource you get for free.

You've got about 3 and a half months before you start cutting up your boats and selling them for salvage.
Certainly. I just hope that our government has the balls to provide the necessary protection for what maritime livestock we still have.

We certainly have international laws on our side, though the UN is weak, corrupt and therefore pointless.

If the EU refuses to obey international laws about territorial waters, it will be up to us to police them. We have every right to do so, and I expect Boris to do that to our full ability.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In areas set apart to let stocks recover, there should be no fishing. Take a look at the cod stocks in UK waters. Depleted totally by british fishermen, and then they turned to icelandic waters (where they got kicked out of). Only now, after more than 40 years, stocks are recovering.

I think those supertrawlers have added value in deeper waters, but should not be allowed to compete with coastal fishers.
But unlike green peace I don't think the channel should be a nature reserve. There is always a trade off between ecology and human activity. It is the responsibility of us all (not individual countries) to minimize the negative effects.
Thank you for your answer.

With regard to the Iceland-Britain Cod War. I think there is a vast difference to plundering fishing grounds as the British had been fishing for Cod in Icelandic waters since the 15th Century!! and it certainly does not compare with the size of british fishing vessels used at the time back then and what we are witnessing today with the death ships, 14 times larger than the largest fishing boat, with nets that kill everything in it's path with it's 1 mile wide nets. It doesn't bear thinking about the damage caused.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Isn't the CFP wonderful to allow countries like yours to destroy natural habitats and devastate fisheries so you can make a profit out of someone else's natural resource you get for free.

You've got about 3 and a half months before you start cutting up your boats and selling them for salvage.
Implementing effective bans and properly managed HPMAs is vital to reach the scientifically agreed target of ensuring*that at least 30% of the UK’s waters are fully protected by 2030.

To sign the petition, “Ban supertrawlers and other destructive fishing from the UK’s offshore Marine Protected Areas and stand up for ocean protection”,*click here.
https://www.oceanographicmagazine.co...-uk-mpas-2019/
Sign the petition, and ensure 30% of the UK fishing waters are not even accessible to british fishermen.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thank you for your answer.

With regard to the Iceland-Britain Cod War. I think there is a vast difference to plundering fishing grounds as the British had been fishing for Cod in Icelandic waters since the 15th Century!! and it certainly does not compare with the size of british fishing vessels used at the time back then and what we are witnessing today with the death ships, 14 times larger than the largest fishing boat, with nets that kill everything in it's path with it's 1 mile wide nets. It doesn't bear thinking about the damage caused.
Indeed, but I'll be interested to see how our authorities tackle such large vessels if they continue to act illegally after December.

I suspect that, in practice, they could simply ignore any of our smaller vessels.

In such a scenario, would we be within our rights to send in a warship with threats to sink the fishing vessel if they refuse to comply?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
They do SG, here's just the first one (timed at 19hrs ago)

"Mick Hookre: "THERE is a question I find myself continually asking ... Who has control of United kingdoms waters and her fishing grounds?"

We have. Didn't you know?

We left the eu in January. We allowed them to continue to fish as before, as was said in the arrangements we negotiated, which last until end December.

When December comes, we will arrange some other access for them, or no access at all.

After December, we will allow them access to catch whatever amount of whatever we are, or, again, no access at all.

It's not that difficult a concept. We are not in the wretched eu."

Thanks Percy, I was dubious about adding someone's post on there because they weren't included in the link and thought it could be something to do with copyright or data protection laws.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Indeed, but I'll be interested to see how our authorities tackle such large vessels if they continue to act illegally after December.

I suspect that, in practice, they could simply ignore any of our smaller vessels.

In such a scenario, would we be within our rights to send in a warship with threats to sink the fishing vessel if they refuse to comply?
I'd love to see one of Her Majesty's loyal gun ships approach with all guns blazing just like the Argies did to the Chinese trawler. However, I suspect that on seeing one of our navy's ships approaching, the trawler would haul its nets in and skedaddle.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Certainly. I just hope that our government has the balls to provide the necessary protection for what maritime livestock we still have.

We certainly have international laws on our side, though the UN is weak, corrupt and therefore pointless.

If the EU refuses to obey international laws about territorial waters, it will be up to us to police them. We have every right to do so, and I eapect Boris to do that to our full ability.
Bravo JBR, and the Royal Navy should not be slow in arresting the Captain and crew, and confiscate their vessel the first time, fine the owner AND Captain an amount that will bring tears to their eyes. and if they dare try it again and caught, do exactly the same above again, but this time scrap their vessel. They will quickly get the message that Britain is now master of it's own seas! As I've already said. it's SOME fish or NO fish. Get in line for a licence.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-09-2020, 03:46 PM

Don't you worry JBR, just send in one of our two flagships to deal with persistent criminals, HMS Queen Elizabeth or HMS Prince of Wales should ensure we mean business.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'd love to see one of Her Majesty's loyal gun ships approach with all guns blazing just like the Argies did to the Chinese trawler. However, I suspect that on seeing one of our navy's ships approaching, the trawler would haul its nets in and skedaddle.
I seem to remember the royal navy took part in the cod wars, as did iceland's. Do you remember the track records of both navies?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-09-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Don't you worry JBR, just send in one of our two flagships to deal with persistent criminals, HMS Queen Elizabeth or HMS Prince of Wales should ensure we mean business.
I wonder whether the germans have kept one of their Uboats

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top