Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Re: Why is it ?

Bakerman, l always say that about food. All the nicest stuff is bad for you..... but l still eat it (in moderation) and take my chances. I can’t give up proper block butter ever!
Like you say, if it shortens your life, Tough, l haven’t done so badly health wise up to now.

My cholesterol at 5.9 isn’t good but the doctor tells me l have good cholesterol. He said, because my high cholesterol is hereditary (like his) reducing fats will really not make it lower.
He did edge onto me to consider taking statins but l refused. I have heard too many horror stories about those.

Some people don’t eat the foods that we like but they don’t mind stuffing themselves with low fat, chemical and additive ridden food which is worse (I think)
Some smoke and fags are lethal to your health.

You need fat to cushion your major organs like your brain and your heart.

Like Barry says, all things in moderation.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Artangel, like you I resisted my docs advice regarding statins simply because my cholesterol levels at the time were below average. However, having talked it through with another health professional, I decided I would go on them because of the other benefits they provide like reduced incidence of heart attacks and strokes (both my grandfathers suffered multiple strokes from their late 60s until their final demises in their late 70s/early 80s).

Yes, there are horror stories out there but I can only tell you that, in my case, I haven't had any side effects whatsoever from taking them. In V's case, she had to try 2 or 3 different statins before she found one that suited her best.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 06:14 PM

Hi

I prefer waking up in the morning to eating cheesecake.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 06:57 PM

I've never tried tofu!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 06:58 PM

It’s really nice in Chinese dishes .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I prefer waking up in the morning to eating cheesecake.
Swimmy, Have you had to give up smoking with your recent heart scare?
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Bakerman, l always say that about food. All the nicest stuff is bad for you..... but l still eat it (in moderation) and take my chances. I can’t give up proper block butter ever!
Like you say, if it shortens your life, Tough, l haven’t done so badly health wise up to now.

My cholesterol at 5.9 isn’t good but the doctor tells me l have good cholesterol. He said, because my high cholesterol is hereditary (like his) reducing fats will really not make it lower.
He did edge onto me to consider taking statins but l refused. I have heard too many horror stories about those.

Some people don’t eat the foods that we like but they don’t mind stuffing themselves with low fat, chemical and additive ridden food which is worse (I think)
Some smoke and fags are lethal to your health.

You need fat to cushion your major organs like your brain and your heart.

Like Barry says, all things in moderation.
Good post. Very sensible. 👍
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

05-10-2020, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Good post. Very sensible. 👍
Thanks, Bratti. That was nice of you to say so.
I’d imagine you are very sensible about what you eat too.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thanks, Bratti. That was nice of you to say so.
I’d imagine you are very sensible about what you eat too.
Not always but I certainly try to be. I firmly believe in holistic nutrition and liked how you logically weighed the pros and cons of taking statins. That’s wise.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2020, 10:58 PM

I'm sitting here reading this and thinking .... aside from the fact that the tastiest yummiest food is usually bad for us .... or whether we leave it too late to change bad lifestyle habits or vices (like smoking) ... it's sad to end up trying to eke out our existence to live another day, precious as we might think that day is.

Whatever you do ... one day it is a certainty that you will die.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top