Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2020, 11:20 PM

Big Changes to Uni Fees

It looks like the government has got the numbers to get their university changes through the Senate. Under the tertiary education overhaul, humanities and communications will be in the same cost bracket as law degrees. (Legislation proposed by people who largely received their Uni education free)

How fees will change:

• Agriculture and maths degrees: 62% decrease
  • Teaching, nursing, clinical psychology, English and languages degrees: 46% decrease
  • Science, health, architecture, environmental science, IT and engineering degrees: 20% decrease
  • Medicine, dental and veterinary science degrees: no change
  • Law and commerce degrees: 28% increase
  • Humanities degrees: 113% increase

What students will have to pay or borrow (under the HECS scheme):

What do you think of the governments attempts to move students into areas of study that they think will be most productive for the country?

Is there a downside to putting humanities out of reach of lower socio economic students?

Interested to know your feelings on this.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 01:01 AM

Re: Big Changes to Uni Fees

Bruce I have many feelings on this. Not enough room here to say what I really think. This is a very complicated issue. On one hand I am glad to see S.T.E.M + Medical and Allied Health easier to access. It's a good thing if it gives students from all economic strata a chance to study in these areas. I think we have enough lawyers and commerce "experts". But the massive in crease in humanities study costs is obscene. I'm sure there are many Philistines who see no value in literature; history, languages, sociology, drama or any other areas under this banner. Everybody should have access to study in these areas. With amount of money this country has - like one trillion plus available to service a created budget debt!? I think we can afford to teach humanties to everybody and still maintain the fourth highest standard of living and quality of life level in the world. Maybe a few less F35s, a fleet of totally decent ready made, up to dat Japanese submarines instead of the dubious French deal. That would pay for a few places do you think?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2020, 11:27 AM

Re: Big Changes to Uni Fees

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Bruce I have many feelings on this. Not enough room here to say what I really think. This is a very complicated issue. On one hand I am glad to see S.T.E.M + Medical and Allied Health easier to access. It's a good thing if it gives students from all economic strata a chance to study in these areas. I think we have enough lawyers and commerce "experts". But the massive in crease in humanities study costs is obscene. I'm sure there are many Philistines who see no value in literature; history, languages, sociology, drama or any other areas under this banner. Everybody should have access to study in these areas. With amount of money this country has - like one trillion plus available to service a created budget debt!? I think we can afford to teach humanties to everybody and still maintain the fourth highest standard of living and quality of life level in the world. Maybe a few less F35s, a fleet of totally decent ready made, up to dat Japanese submarines instead of the dubious French deal. That would pay for a few places do you think?
There is also another way of looking at this keezoy, maybe the top
layer or elites as they like to call themselves, are trying to make
their skills even more elitest by putting them further out of reach
of us serfs??

Donkeyman! 👎😟👎

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top