Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Re: Cataracts advice please

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I seem to remember that the cost per eye is between £3k -£4k in the UK.
My late Mother had her first cataract done privately because they told her there was a 2 year waiting list & she said she could be dead by then & that was over 20 years ago & she paid nearly £2000 then. She had her second one done on the NHS, by the same surgeon a month or so later & that was free. By paying it jumped her up the waiting list. Just shows if you can afford it you get quicker service.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 12:39 PM

My Dad (a type one diabetic) had his cataracts removed by laser at Chesterfield Hospital.

He had a local anaesthetic and was thrilled with the results and said the procedure was quick/easy/painless..

He had both eyes done separately and had to wear a cotton wool patch on his eye for a short time.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 01:08 PM

I've just found out the cost of consultation and surgery done privately will be around £4grand for one eye . To me and many that is a lot of money even though we may have a small savings account . But if push comes to shove and I find myself on a long waiting list and struggling to read or drive I will use my savings . I was also told most surgeons private or NHS wont operate till the cataract is ripe . Which means right across the eye and causing sight problems .

I'm definately feeling better about the surgery though as I was fearful of that but your answers have helped so much
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've just found out the cost of consultation and surgery done privately will be around £4grand for one eye . To me and many that is a lot of money even though we may have a small savings account . But if push comes to shove and I find myself on a long waiting list and struggling to read or drive I will use my savings . I was also told most surgeons private or NHS wont operate till the cataract is ripe . Which means right across the eye and causing sight problems .

I'm definately feeling better about the surgery though as I was fearful of that but your answers have helped so much
That's why I mentioned the Axminster Hospital because Mrs LD's eyes were not that bad but they did them anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
susan m
Thinking about it is far worse than having any eye operation. They actually took out my eye to insert a "stent" behind it to relieve pressure then put it back. You would be surprised how many have had this done so having a cataract operation is is even more common.

Boy was I scared? I could have outdone an elephant in poo.

what they did with me is before hand gave me a walk through chat of what was going to happen.
Next was having drops in the eye to numb it . As soon as that took affect it was onto the trolley and wheel in for the op. They covered on eye and worked on the other, I knew and felt nothing.
Afterwards that eye could see but not move until the drops wore off. Sue drove me home as said it looked funny with only one eye moving.

The fear is in not knowing what to expect and happen not the op itself.

I have to have drops in the other eye 3x daily as the pressure was less and drops keep it down
Please excuse me for asking, but was that for glaucoma (or raised intraocular pressure)?

I ask because, although I have had a cataract removal (and vitrectomy and removal of epiretinal membrane), I now have raised pressure in the same eye.

At present, I have drops to reduce the pressure - two types, one twice a day and the other once a day. I understand that if these eventually fail to work, surgery may be necessary. That could be a laser to make a fine hole or, possibly, a stent.

I didn't know they took out the eye, though. I feel sick!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Have any of you who's had the cataract ops had to spend time afterwards sitting forwards, face on cushions or pillows - not allowed to sleep on your back even?
Fortunately, no.

However, as far as I know, the procedure of maintaining a face-down posture is nothing to do with cataract removal on its own unless, of course, you've had another procedure done as well..

That may be a vitrectomy (which I have had) or perhaps retinal surgery and depends upon what they use to replace the vitreous that they remove. That might be air, a gas or an oil.

In any event, if it is necessary to ensure that the retina is prevented from falling forward from the back of the eye, it may be necessary to remain face down so that (usually) the oil rises to the back of the eye to keep the retina in place and help to prevent it falling away from the back of the eye.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2020, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Fortunately, no.

However, as far as I know, the procedure of maintaining a face-down posture is nothing to do with cataract removal on its own unless, of course, you've had another procedure done as well..

That may be a vitrectomy (which I have had) or perhaps retinal surgery and depends upon what they use to replace the vitreous that they remove. That might be air, a gas or an oil.

In any event, if it is necessary to ensure that the retina is prevented from falling forward from the back of the eye, it may be necessary to remain face down so that (usually) the oil rises to the back of the eye to keep the retina in place and help to prevent it falling away from the back of the eye.

I will have to ask my friend more about it JBR.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Cataract surgery is one of the most common procedures performed.
The cloudy lens is replaced by an artificial implant.
The method is also being used as sight correction now. So there could be a bonus if you have a high rx.

In the past the cloudy lens was removed and not replaced, meaning the patients had to wear extremely high magnifying glasses usually in a lenticular form ( flying saucer or fried egg) so the modern way is a huge improvement.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-10-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Cataract surgery is one of the most common procedures performed.
The cloudy lens is replaced by an artificial implant.
The method is also being used as sight correction now. So there could be a bonus if you have a high rx.

In the past the cloudy lens was removed and not replaced, meaning the patients had to wear extremely high magnifying glasses usually in a lenticular form ( flying saucer or fried egg) so the modern way is a huge improvement.
It is indeed and what's more, replacement lenses are now available with variable prescriptions rather like varifocal spectacles, although I'm afraid I don't know how they manage to work. Perhaps they are flexible like natural lenses?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 10:17 AM

I've had both eyes done.

I couldn't believe how much the improvement in vision was!

As for the actual op, I was getting a little nervous in the room, at the side of the surgery, and asked the medic if I could have something to help with the nerves.

I was hoping to be put under.

He laughed, I reached up to scratch my face, and found that I had a bandage over my eye!

How did that get there!

I had no idea that I'd already been in and done!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top