Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 10:56 AM

Re: Pieces of orbiting space junk set for very close pass

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
anyway, just in case, got a sign on my front door "no space junk".
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The surface of the earth is 196.9 million square miles.....
Space begins at approximately 62 miles high.....
Satellites (and space junk) orbit at between 300 - 600 miles for commercial and communication satellites, and between 600 - 1200 miles for military use....

Therefore if we extrapolate* by 100 (which would be very conservative) we arrive at 19,690,000,000 square miles....

If we divide that by the number of items classed as space junk (128 million)
We find that each single piece of space junk has approximately 153.828 square miles to fly around in.

Considering some pieces of space junk are less than 10 centimetres in diameter, I would suggest that you could spend a lifetime zooming around in space and never encountering one piece of space junk....

Lets get things in proportion shall we.....

With all due respect to Omah, this is no reflection on you, and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.
It just goes to show, by the reaction of some posters, just how much information like this can be so misleading.
It's a wild guess but I "imagine" that NASA's depiction of the distribution and movement of man-made objects orbiting Earth would not be considered "realistic" by anyone but the uninformed .....

* AFAIK, "extrapolate" does not mean "multiply" .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Beautiful photo, Omah. Just imagine the enormous distances between each of those stars. Light years between each one.
It boggles the imagination.
Erm, it's not a photo - those stars aren't "real" and aren't "to scale"" - the image is a "depiction" assembled from infrared radiation data collected by the Hubble Space Telescope. The Pillars span about 5 light-years in length (that's about 3.5 times the diameter of our solar system) .....
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
It's a wild guess but I "imagine" that NASA's depiction of the distribution and movement of man-made objects orbiting Earth would not be considered "realistic" by anyone but the uninformed .....
You are right, it’s a wild guess and that you imagine NASA’s depiction is not ‘realistic’
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not content with littering own planet - we have to litter the sky as well!
Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Seems we are a species of litter louts, all of us.
Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Then why is so much money being spent on developing systems to retrieve/remove this junk?
Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I think space junk came from our planet in the first place.
And posters on OFF Omah.....
Very misleading, and I believe done on purpose Omah.......
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

17-10-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
And posters on OFF Omah.....
Very misleading, and I believe done on purpose Omah.......
Of course you believe ..... you have a very good imagination .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

17-10-2020, 11:54 AM

Here's a sub-space "depiction":

Illustrating flights taken over two days in September 2013, this clip demonstrates the frequency of plane flights arriving at and departing from airports worldwide.

In case some OFF posters find the "depiction" misleading I should point out that "The scale is out of all proportion."

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-10-2020, 12:44 PM

Of course you believe ..... you have a very good imagination .....

Thanks for the complement Omah (I think...)

Mankind's greatest achievements all started from imaginings......

Enjoyed the Air traffic clip Omah, I wonder what it must look like today? It certainly demonstrates why Europe and the USA has been hit the hardest by Covid.....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top