Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Re: Sir John Redwoods Reaction Yesterday to No Deal

I know our MP is very pro-Brexit (has been since before 2016) but, my God, he's not a patch on Sir John. :worship:

That was an excellent broadcast
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
All this will not matter, but it will not register, because Brexit isn't an evidence based movement. Like religions, the greater the evidence to the contrary, the more hardline believers' stance becomes.

There are common traits. When evidence doesn't support belief, they attack those presenting the evidence. When that evidence becomes overwhelming, it's decried as conspiracy and naysaying.

There's another common trait - over time, beliefs and demands lean further toward the extreme. It didn't take long for "the easiest trade deal in history," and "all the benefits of membership without the costs" to morph into "the only true Brexit is no deal."
I think you fail to understand the resolve of the British people Solasch, we are not likened to the 'Bulldog' for nothing. I would sell my car, give up my pension and beg for food from the nearest foodbank if it meant we could achieve a clean break from Brussels and be rid of the EU tentacles for ever.

It could have been so much different if those in charge of the EU negotiations (Barnier and Co) hadn't dropped the ball over our divorce. Had they wished us well for the future and agreed to an amicable break, with some concessions, pressure from the remainers (and even a few disillusioned Brexiteers) would have been so great to remain in a sharing caring european community, that I believe we would have still been members......And what a fine example it would have been to other member states...

All this negativity, so called punishment and aggression from Brussels over the last five years has shown the EU in it's true colours. History has shown us, and indeed the rest of europe, that the worst thing you can do to a Brit is bully and threaten us. I believe that we still have many friends in the world, and a lot of them are in europe.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 12:26 PM

Won't be long before the Commission stab Ireland in the back.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think you fail to understand the resolve of the British people Solasch, we are not likened to the 'Bulldog' for nothing. I would sell my car, give up my pension and beg for food from the nearest foodbank if it meant we could achieve a clean break from Brussels and be rid of the EU tentacles for ever.

It could have been so much different if those in charge of the EU negotiations (Barnier and Co) hadn't dropped the ball over our divorce. Had they wished us well for the future and agreed to an amicable break, with some concessions, pressure from the remainers (and even a few disillusioned Brexiteers) would have been so great to remain in a sharing caring european community, that I believe we would have still been members......And what a fine example it would have been to other member states...

All this negativity, so called punishment and aggression from Brussels over the last five years has shown the EU in it's true colours. History has shown us, and indeed the rest of europe, that the worst thing you can do to a Brit is bully and threaten us. I believe that we still have many friends in the world, and a lot of them are in europe.
Well said,OGF.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

But the british are also depicted as arrogant, and as snobs. In all this the british have failed to see that you need to be a member, conforming to majority vote, to get the benefits of membership. Even as a member the UK benefitted the least (as bread keeps pointing out), but that was due to not conforming to the rules of the game. As for accepting majority voting, why do you think you still vote for your parliament with such an ancient system? (If you hadn't farage would now be pm)
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 02:51 PM

But the british are also depicted as arrogant, and as snobs. In all this the british have failed to see that you need to be a member, conforming to majority vote, to get the benefits of membership. Even as a member the UK benefitted the least (as bread keeps pointing out), but that was due to not conforming to the rules of the game. As for accepting majority voting, why do you think you still vote for your parliament with such an ancient system? (If you hadn't farage would now be pm)
Wrong on so many levels - why am I not surprised?

First the UK are seen as sticklers for fairness (where your attemted assertion comes from I do not know) - and that is pretty universal even across the EU.
Yes I have experience.
Recent too.
(Wanna see my passport? )

The reason the UK saw lass benefits is BECAUSE of that fairness.
Should we bring up the list (again) of who breaks EU rules the most?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8198271.html
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Wrong on so many levels - why am I not surprised?

First the UK are seen as sticklers for fairness (where your attemted assertion comes from I do not know) - and that is pretty universal even across the EU.
Yes I have experience.
Recent too.
(Wanna see my passport? )

The reason the UK saw lass benefits is BECAUSE of that fairness.
Should we bring up the list (again) of who breaks EU rules the most?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8198271.html
It is the UK who is against the level playing field (to be able to have fair play). It even hinders a trade deal
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 06:41 PM

It is the UK who is against the level playing field (to be able to have fair play). It even hinders a trade deal
Wrong.
The UK is against external influence (we are an independent sovereign nation) just as every other country does.

See if you can find one single trade deal where the insistence that both parties agree to a similar "level playing field" exists?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

18-10-2020, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Wrong.
The UK is against external influence (we are an independent sovereign nation) just as every other country does.

See if you can find one single trade deal where the insistence that both parties agree to a similar "level playing field" exists?
Probably in the USUK trade deal?

The good news is that America’s trade agreements do a spectacular job creating a level playing field—and tremendous commercial gains are the proof in the pudding. According to data from the U.S. Department of Commerce, nearly half of U.S. exports go to countries with which the United States has free-trade agreements (FTAs) even though they represent about 6% of the world’s population. By tearing down foreign barriers to U.S. products, these agreements have a proven ability to make big markets even out of small economies.
https://www.uschamber.com/issue-brie...ng-field-trade
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2020, 09:14 PM

Those on the public payroll are subservient and naturally expected to be loyal.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top