Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 04:48 PM

Re: Snowflakes, Gamers, Phone Addicts - British Army Wants You!

I have been watching a re-run of "Get Some In" about a squad of lads in the RAF doing their National Service in 1955. Although it had me in fits of laughter, it just to un PC these days and the poor wee darlings would have their Drill Cpl/Serg in Court for talking to them the way that's needed. Also they would need surgery to part them from their phones/tablets. lol.
For those who don't know the Series, here's a clip.

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 05:20 PM

That's just too good, Roxy . I hadn't heard of that show before.

My husband tells about going through basic training, during which the drill instructor, having giving the men their first welcome to hell speech, asked if there were any questions.

One guy raised his hand and said, in a too-soft voice, that he hadn't been given a "pilla" - pillow. The drill instructor said, "Pardon me?" and the guy repeated the request for a "pilla" and added that he needed one for his neck. Apparently a tirade ensued that nearly shook the building to it's rafters, peppered a choice use of vocabulary and few observations about the conditions of trench and guerrilla warfare.

As it turns out, "Pillow guy" needed quite a few "hotel amenities" and didn't last long.

My husband thinks that every young male should go through basic training right out of school, and that it was the worst and best (most formative) experience of his life.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 06:15 PM

High Street recruitment offices all shut; that's when the numbers dropped.and the rot set in.
Apparently it takes months for online applications to be processed and many drop out...
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2019, 08:36 PM

I do wonder if any of those supporting conscription have actually experienced it themselves? I have experienced it and I do not support conscription.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 12:17 AM

Alternative ads

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EDCF375-F0A3-4651-95EC-BF72ABFCAFE7.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	8340   Click image for larger version

Name:	A639BEAA-E3F5-4B20-B034-10E1EEF6FF6B.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	8342  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
But uncle Joe why would it be slavery ? I don't see that . Surely it would do our young people good , teach manners and respect , there are so many who don't have this . Surely it would help our country. I don't understand why would it be slavery they would have a home , a job , a salary and security .
I agree with UJ -the forces are not there to teach respect they are there to defend the country, picking thugs off the street and teaching them better ways to fight and kill has never seemed like a good idea to me.

If you want the unemployed to do something introduce work for the dole and set them to cleaning up graffiti, picking up litter, work for a charity, teach them a trade, make them earn their dole and benefit society.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by floydy ->
because they are only concerned about themselves not us. They are wealthy, smug money grabbers who don't do their job properly and spend most of their time wasting money that should be going to our health service on getting dressed up in their robes and attending luncheons and banquets in an effort to impress wealthy businessmen and foreign aid dignitaries.
They argue with the opposite party and get nowhere and they have no priorities anymore and that's why we're in a mess.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I agree with UJ -the forces are not there to teach respect they are there to defend the country, picking thugs off the street and teaching them better ways to fight and kill has never seemed like a good idea to me.

If you want the unemployed to do something introduce work for the dole and set them to cleaning up graffiti, picking up litter, work for a charity, teach them a trade, make them earn their dole and benefit society.
Bruce i agree with you too . I feel that those young ones should be doing something for their dole money , its just too easy . Many years ago i asked an army training officer about conscription, he said same as you , we dont want lazy thugs who dont want to be here with us.

I dont know what the answer is , and i dont think the government cares
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Bruce i agree with you too . I feel that those young ones should be doing something for their dole money , its just too easy . Many years ago i asked an army training officer about conscription, he said same as you , we dont want lazy thugs who dont want to be here with us.

I dont know what the answer is , and i dont think the government cares

Precisely !!! - providing these people do not appear as a statistic on the numbers of unemployed, the scumbag 'nasty party' couldn't care less.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Precisely !!! - providing these people do not appear as a statistic on the numbers of unemployed, the scumbag 'nasty party' couldn't care less.
No UJ! NO government cares. Thugs on the street is not a new thing, it's been around during Labour and Conservative governments.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top