Join for free
Page 235 of 370 « First < 135 185 225 233 234 235 236 237 245 285 335 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 03:03 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Mups, you are welcome. I agree with you that running isn't for everyone, and there will be a day in which I'll have to trade my running shoes for something else. You are so right that everyone has to find an activity they enjoy for it to become part of their lifestyle. You are one of the people who got me back into yoga, so thank you.

Tachyon, I read with great interest about the technology features that go along with your new gym membership. It's brilliant and so user friendly! I am sure that a lot more people will stay with their programs now that they don't have the burden of the paperwork.

I managed to squeeze in five miles today between packing luggage and organizing the house for some time away - doctors appts, treatments, and then a little time in the Turks and Caicos for a break. Some generous friends seem to think I have been overdoing it. I told them I'll have to look more exhausted more often! Work before play though, next report from North Carolina.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Unless you're running a fever, then any gentle exercise is good.
A gentle stretching routine, a gentle walk, just do what you're able.
Even wheelchair users at the Hospice where I work have an exercise regime, its fun!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I managed to squeeze in five miles today between packing luggage and organizing the house for some time away - doctors appts, treatments, and then a little time in the Turks and Caicos for a break. Some generous friends seem to think I have been overdoing it. I told them I'll have to look more exhausted more often! Work before play though, next report from North Carolina.
You're not overdoing it at all, Suzie. Fitness can be fun and I know you do enjoy your running especially. When it becomes a chore then that's the time to change your routine for a while, or add new forms of training.
For now though, you have other priorities, and hopefully you can fit in the running between those more essential appointments etc.
Have a lovely time on holiday soon too

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Unless you're running a fever, then any gentle exercise is good.
A gentle stretching routine, a gentle walk, just do what you're able.
Even wheelchair users at the Hospice where I work have an exercise regime, its fun!
That's what it's all about, Ruthio. A good fitness regime, even if you can't do too much. As with those people at the hospice, even throwing a ball to one another can exercise the limbs and lighten the mood.

Today is the final segment of Week #1 of my two-part programme, a "7's" routine for the legs. Back soon with the write-up.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
...who join gyms or start to go for a jog every January 1st with the best intentions to lose the weight they have put on over Christmas. It never works.
I was expecting this new gym to be packed out with new people when I joined, and commented on it to one of the staff who I was chatting with. He said they normally put off joining until the end of January because they don't really want to come to a gym but feel they have to. He said that you can tell the type just by watching them go through they gym door. Their body language is very revealing. Some find they DO enjoy it and the change is quite apparent, but the ones who don't are usually gone a few weeks later.

I'd be the same way with team sports to be honest. If I reluctantly joined a football class or a fitness class of any kind to get fit I don't think I'd last long either. I like to do my own thing, which is why I have enjoyed gyms so much.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I was expecting this new gym to be packed out with new people when I joined, and commented on it to one of the staff who I was chatting with. He said they normally put off joining until the end of January because they don't really want to come to a gym but feel they have to. He said that you can tell the type just by watching them go through they gym door. Their body language is very revealing. Some find they DO enjoy it and the change is quite apparent, but the ones who don't are usually gone a few weeks later.

I'd be the same way with team sports to be honest. If I reluctantly joined a football class or a fitness class of any kind to get fit I don't think I'd last long either. I like to do my own thing, which is why I have enjoyed gyms so much.
That's it. Like any sport or hobby, we do what we are interested in without being forced into it.

Are you going to the gym today mate?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 01:13 PM

Just a quick visit this morning, all those Christmas decorations to take down...Very benign weather this morning but very warm. The gloves were too much.... I managed to project myself round a quiet eight mile route out in the country but never really got into my stride. It's been one of those runs that takes more out of you than it puts back.....Never mind it keeps me honest........Where's me ladders....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 02:20 PM

yesterday we bought one of those gadgets that fit in the pocket and lets one know how far one has walked.
Tried it out today and it came up with 1.8 miles. Not bad for me trying to get more walking in.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
yesterday we bought one of those gadgets that fit in the pocket and lets one know how far one has walked.
Tried it out today and it came up with 1.8 miles. Not bad for me trying to get more walking in.
Those step counters are a very good idea, Realspeed. Some of the lads have them at work and it's quite surprising to them when they look at it at the end of the shift and they've walked over eight miles just around a warehouse doing their tasks.

Well done on that, you can only go further next time
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2019, 04:02 PM

The last part of Week #1 of my new programme featured some intensive training for the legs. It was in the “7’s” format, of which you should be familiar by now: Seven sets of increasing reps until I reach a maximum weight on the 5th set followed by two lighter sets to finish each exercise with, as many reps as I possibly can within each set.

I’ll get straight on with the details and add notes as I go along…

Sunday 6/1/19 Time: 1hr. 05mins.
Week 1/Session 4: Legs. “7’s”: 7 sets – light-heavy-light; as many reps as possible.
(All weights in kgs; I’ve also noted the type of apparatus used)

Sled leg press (stack-type machine):
35x160, 22x170, 20x180, 18x190, 17x200
30x150, 43x100
*With a starting weight well in excess of the usual 100-120kgs and finding that now I can push more weight than I have for many years, this is probably my best sled press effort in a very long time. Due to the sled machine only containing weights totalling the maximum 200kgs (which now seems like a walk in the park) I simply had to keep the reps going until I reached ‘failure’ point. Very happy with this progress.

Incline leg press (plate-adding machine):
20x150, 15x200, 10x250, 8x300, 6x350
12x250, 40x120
*As with sled I’m finding myself able to go very heavy indeed with my leg pressing, so next time I do this I’ll have to add weight (as I can do with this plate-type machine). Really feeling the work done especially on the sides of the thighs, this was another very pleasing achievement for me today. I could actually lift more than the 350kg but with that old knee problem at the back of my mind (or leg!), I won’t. I’ll just go for reps at that max weight next time I do this routine (Week #3).

Seated ham curls (stack-type machine):
25x40, 20x50, 12x60, 8x70, 5x80
15x55, 100x30
*As with the tops and sides of my quads, the hamstrings are now stronger than they have been for ages. Reaching 80kg was a nice goal and the final 100 reps was just mind-blowing – I just kept going, surprising myself! Heavier weights all round on this next time.

Adductor (stack-type machine):
25x40, 25x45, 20x50, 15x55, 12x60

Abductor (stack-type machine):
25x40, 25x45, 20x50, 15x55, 12x60
*No, I didn’t write it down twice, they are two different machines. I didn’t bother with the final two light sets as this machine only goes to 60kgs anyway, so it’s pointless and I’d have to be doing over 100 reps to make any discernible different to my progress.

Leg extensions (stack-type machine):
25x50, 15x65, 12x80, 10x100, 8x100
10x75, 20x40
*Reaching the max of 100 again on this, I need to amend some details on my next template. I’ll possibly do more reps on the lighter sets but start at 60kg or thereabouts.

I absolutely loved doing all that. I feel very strong, my legs are looking really fit and defined without being overly bulky and I managed to fit everything into the week without any major problems. It looks like it’s going to be a very interesting programme.

All in all it’s been a really good week. My lifts have all been very encouraging with the higher-rep based “40-30-20-10” sessions great for high rep/cardio weights. Plus the cardio itself was okay despite fighting my cold.
Next week sees me enter Week #2 whereby everything is changed around…the 100’s become 7’s and vice versa, thus enabling me to employ the exercises which were utilised on the opposite routines. There will also be some different exercises too which haven’t been seen yet in this new programme. All will become apparent on Tuesday when the first session begins.

Thanks for reading.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Realspeed any chance of a link?
I'm looking for something simple!

Page 235 of 370 « First < 135 185 225 233 234 235 236 237 245 285 335 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top