Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 07:10 AM

‘Fly in’ dog

Climate change: Will insect-eating dogs help? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46811358

Not this version of a ‘flyin’ dog....

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ev3CSD...ized-large.gif

But this .... would you feed Fido a new diet ?

Do you fret that your pet pooch is blamed by environmentalists for turning rainforests into poo in the park?
Have no fear - you can now fatten Fido on black soldier flies instead of Brazilian beef.
A pet food manufacturer now claims that 40% of its new product is made from soldier flies.
It's one of many firms hoping to cash in on the backlash against beef by people concerned that the cattle are fed on soya.
These soya plantations are responsible for the release of greenhouse gases in significant quantities.
Is it good for the dog?
The key question is whether a diet of 40% soldier flies meets the nutritional needs of your beloved canine.
We put the question to a pet diet expert at the Royal Veterinary College, Aarti Kathrani. Her conclusion was a cautious "yes".
"Insects can be a very useful source of protein," she told us. "More studies are needed to show how much of these nutrients can actually be absorbed by a dog's body - but some studies suggest that insects can provide nutrients for dogs."
Does it help the climate if dogs eat flies?
At first sight it seems obvious that feeding your dog meaty food is bad for the environment. The link between humans eating meat and the allied emissions of CO2 and methane is well established - and pets are estimated to eat 20% of global meat.
It's also true that flies produce protein much more efficiently than cows - using a small percentage of the water and land.
But actually the analysis is more subtle than that - because as societies become more wealthy, people often turn to muscle meat and reject the animal's offal.

That offal is just as nutritious - and it gets made into pet food. That means that dog food is just as sustainable - or unsustainable - as humans eating meat.
In fact, if dogs were weaned off meat and on to insects, the industry would have to find another purpose for the offal. More sausage, perhaps? Or more humans eating insect protein. Or more going vegan?
Could cat food be made out of insects, too?
Dogs are omnivores - they eat more or less anything. Cats are much more choosy, because they can't make an essential amino acid, taurine. They find it instead in meat and fish.
But Dr Kathrani says studies show that insects do contain taurine, so it's possible that insects could also form a useful part of the moggie diet.
The new product on the market is from Yora, a Dutch farm that brings the flies to maturity in 14 days, fed on food waste.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 07:19 AM

Re: ‘Fly in’ dog

I'm not a dog owner but if I were I think feeding them dead flies might make them consider leaving home....it's the thought of it isn't it....the I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here dog food diet plan

If it's full of what they need and they make it tasty ...why not I suppose? I just hope it doesn't progess into our diets too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 10:24 AM

This above video you posted in Post 1, is shockingly cruel and disgraceful.
That dog's owner should be prosecuted and his drone confiscated and destroyed.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 10:25 AM

I agree .
Poor dogs give such love and are so abused .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I agree .
Poor dogs give such love and are so abused .

Yes Muddy.
Morons like that should not be allowed to keep animals.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

That video is a spoof , a joke , humour or whatever ... the actual drone ( DJI phantom 4) would in reality struggle to lift a bag of sugar so worry not

https://youtu.be/-ZJJf93vrFA
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Absolutely Mups, but if it were me I'd connect him to a drone and set it going on auto towards the nearest ocean...
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

10-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Absolutely Mups, but if it were me I'd connect him to a drone and set it going on auto towards the nearest ocean...

Responsible adults are trying to stop plastic waste in the worlds oceans
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-01-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
That video is a spoof , a joke , humour or whatever ... the actual drone ( DJI phantom 4) would in reality struggle to lift a bag of sugar so worry not

https://youtu.be/-ZJJf93vrFA

Sorry Marmaduke, not my sort of humour.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Sorry Marmaduke, not my sort of humour.
Me neither Mups. It might be a spoof but it just gives the morons ideas they could do without.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top