Join for free
Page 139 of 370 « First < 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 239 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 04:42 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Oh, gosh, I forgot to check in. Too late now but I will catch up tomorrow.

I have a good excuse; i was a surfing day!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 10:17 AM

Back in October 2015 Floydy started this topic, and it's become a huge success with over 139 pages of activity. I love visiting this thread, and even when time is at a premium and I can't peruse the rest of the forum I feel compelled to look in here and see how the regulars are doing.

So good morning Floydy, Surfermom and anyone else loitering on the forum and found themselves here.....

Floydy! Go and get yourself checked out if those symptoms persist, it might be something or nothing, but it's best to be on the safe side. There has been a proliferation of young'ish sportsmen passing over to the other side recently, and there aren't enough posters propping up this thread to be able to lose one........An important one at that...

Surfermom! Forgot to check in aye' perhaps searching for the lost back off your earring used up all of your allotted time, or could it have been the need to dispose of a bottle of wine after fining alternative employment for the cork...

Although I didn't exercise yesterday, my piriformis did not react badly to the jogging on Thursday, and not only did I manage to leave my bed unaided, I even sorted out my garden, which after the winter, was in a worse state than me.... I have some great expectations for Sunday....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Hahaha!! Bob, I hope I'm not about to jump off this mortal coil just yet bud. I may tell my doctor that he's got to sort me out because the people on the OFF want to see me in a thread...Love that and it made my day! I've been a really grumpy person so far today until I saw that

Actually I feel fine this morning (apart from being a moody git). I'm suspecting it's nothing more than too much coffee. But my mind starts wandering on occasion, usually when I'm thinking about work or something and my endless quest for the Holy Grail of freedom. But I'll play it by ear, go to the gym in a few minutes and see how I get on today.

Yourself mate, have a nice day today. I know it's difficult, but try to exercise those bones and muscles with just a short walk if you can. Always good to see some more of those photos in here for example

Suzie - see you later in here no doubt. Long as we know you're okay, that's the main thing
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Waking up this morning after a good night’s sleep for a change, which is probably exactly what I needed to sort me out, I pottered around on here until noon and decided to see how a workout would go down.
Sticking with upper body work, but utilising different exercises from yesterday, it went averagely okay…

Saturday, 7 Apr 18: Basic upper body workout (again):

DB press:
24kg: 12+2, 8+2
26kg: 8
*With this weight increase it’s becoming harder to keep up the required number of reps. Since doing larger reps to begin with in this routine I must alter things to get back to that format, otherwise I will end up gaining strength again when fitness is my aim. A bit of a revision coming with my programme coming up I suspect.

Flat bench press:
40kg: 20+2, 15+2
50kg: 13
*First time with this “+reps” routine on the standard bench press. All went well, but it was hard work.

Incline chest press:
40kg: 20+1, 10
50kg: 8
*Very disappointed with my lack of power on this inclined press which is probably due to a lack of shoulder strength at the moment. I need to get back to using that particular apparatus next time.

E-Z preacher curl, close grip:
33kg: 15+2, 12+2
38kg: 8
*Up 5kg from last time. These were going brilliantly, so I decided to add some pure strength sets just to see if I’m still up to it:
6x43, 4x48, 1x53, 35x18 high reps
*These went very well indeed. Nice to see my arms are still in very fine fettle if nothing else is!

Fly dec:
72.5kg: 25+3, 20+3
80kg: 15
*Up from 65 last time. Just about the right weight for the reps now.

Tricep extensions:
30x25 high reps

55 mins.

Quite happy with that although these two sessions were not what I had in mind. I wanted to have two really massive workouts but with my dodgy dizziness etc I didn’t feel like trying. I'd like to do a legs session tomorrow but we'll have to see what happens, see how things pan out next week.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Good rainy morning from Florida!

Floydy, , I know exactly what is wrong with you - you are in menopause!
Or is that manopause?

Just kidding, but some of those symptoms sound strangely familiar...

Seriously though, if you are getting enough sleep and eating well enough (we already know you are exercising ) then you really should mention these symptoms to your doctor. If you suspect diabetes, mention it when you make your appointment, make it early so they can do a fasting blood sugar test along with some bloodwork. You are also over 50 so it could be a blood pressure issue. Off to the doctor with you - and take OGF with you, while you're at it!

What's going on with your caffeine intake? Is it up and down? Caffeine can get one's head into 5th gear causing agitation in high quantities, but conversely can cause migraines if you consome a lot of it and then cut back drastically.

OGF, I have been on pins and needles wondering how you felt after your canal walk/run. I'm SO thrilled to hear that it didn't knock you back! Now lets' just hope that all that gardening leaves you with blossoms rather than backache .

My run is a wash for now, and with this being Saturday, it throws my day somewhat off kilter. I have tickets for a weekend jazz festival, so any run later will have to be very abbreviated. Instead of doing a 5k that always leaves me feeling like I have cheated myself, I might give a go at some speedwork which is good for my long distance pace, but temps the fate of my knees that are critical for surfing so easy does it there.

And on that note...

On the northern gulf, the water is rarely as turquoise as the Caribbean, but yesterday it was spectacular and while the surf was teeny tiny, it was up enough to paddle out for a couple of hours. Strangely enough, surfing in small surf is more difficult than larger surf because I have to do all of the work. To give the board enough velocity to be able to get more than a few seconds ride, I have to watch for the biggest wave I can - which can mean a few minutes of sitting on the board of staring at the horizon - before picking one out and whipping the board around to paddle like mad. More often than not on days like this, there isn't enough even with the wave and me working together so I have to back off.

All in all, I caught a good two dozen waves and enjoyed the dolphin pods going by a mere twenty feet away looking for breakfast. When I was done, I paddled horizontally along the shore for a half of a mile and back to strengthen my shoulders and triceps for the upcoming surf season.

Interestingly, a neighbor who is in her early 70s paddles on her surfboard daily even though she never stands up on it. She too discovered the arm benefits and it gives her an option for exercise even though she cannot to open water swimming any more.

Every time I stand up on the board it is essentially a pushup (pressup) to a squat before standing, so the speed paddling was good for putting some exercise on the muscle mush that comes with most of the winter out of the water.

The best thing of all was that between the surfing, this morning's thunderstorms and the sacrifice of drinking a glass of wine for the sake of that lost earring back, I slept like the dead last night, plenty of rest for a musical outing later.

Happy weekend, everyone. I hope it finds you as limber as Ruthio and out there moving!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Excellent write up Surfermom, you almost make me want to take up surfing or paddle boarding, but it's not easily done in a South Yorkshire Pit village, pigeon racing is the norm, or playing an instrument in a 'Brass Band' but I live in hopes.

Meanwhile, running will have to suffice, or at least walking for now.
I'm looking forward to getting out on a five miler in the morning, I'll try a bit more running and see what happens.

Sounds like you had a better workout down the gym today Floydy, it's the same with running, sometimes a good run, sometimes a crap one, you never know until you get out there. Fortunately, there are more good days than bad ones.

Going to catch up with the Masters Golf now, Mrs Foxes Dad used to say Golf! a good walk spoilt.....I enjoy watching it with a slice of toast and a mug of Yorkshire Tea, non of this galavanting out to music festivals for me, I know how to enjoy life....

PS:- Ruthio's done one!....Cleaned out her drawers....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 11:41 AM

I love reading about your exploits in the surf, Suzie. And raining in Florida?! That can't be possible, it must be just the wash of the waves circling up and around I'm sure!

Hope you enjoyed the jazz festival too. Was it a local event or were there some more famous acts performing?

Hope you're a little more mobile today Bob and you're up and about a bit. I'm sure you had a good sleep after watching the gold, I certainly would have had

I popped out last night at the last minute to see a band playing at my local just up the street but they were awful and I was back home after an hour. Ho hum.

I'm feeling good today and even though I had large coffee last night (because I love the stuff), I'll be taking it easy at work next week and limit myself to just one vending machine cup per night rather than the two or three mugs of black I normally consume, plus the one at home in the afternoon!
Otherwise I feel good. I suspect it may be the pressures of work causing my stress so I must simply get on with it and try to keep myself busy in the environment I have. The company isn't what it used to be and I can't wait to get out. But sorting out my financial state again yesterday it won't be possible until the middle of 2020 and that time cannot come soon enough. After I sort out that small mattter of a huge loan paid off (due to long-term self-inflicted spending and subsequent consolidation issues), I will be in a good, if not great position. It's not so far away as I think and I'll just have to wait for that dim light shining in the distance becoming brighter instead of thinking that it's fading away into blackness. Soon be there!

A gym session coming up now on the legs, so I'll be back later on with the obligatory write-up.

Take care all and have a good day
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

08-04-2018, 02:19 PM

I do a legs session roughly once a week now I’m not strength building anymore which suits me fine. It lasts about half an hour and in that time I can fit in 5-6 exercises which is more than enough of a workout to keep my legs strong, fit and agile. My knees are feeling fine now apart from the occasional twinge in my left knee – oddly it was my right knee that was to blame for last year’s suspected arthritis issues – so I’ve decoded once and for all that the leg extension exercise is out for good. It puts too much pressure on the knees even at a low weight. It has its advantages with strengthening the inner quad muscles and front of the thighs, but so does the leg press, so it’s not essential tbh.

Today went very well indeed. The sled press which was postponed from last week was back in and I did it straight after the leg press, which was extremely heavy going but felt rewarding afterwards, despite my lack of breath!
When you add up an accumulative total of weight lifted multiplying the sets x reps x weight on both pressing exercises combined, it’s a total of 33,400kgs!!

Here’s the session:

Sunday, 8 Apr 18: Legs:

Incline press:
150kg: 50+5, 30+5
200kg: 21

Sled press:
130kg: 50+5, 30+5
160kg: 25
*I’m upping the weight to 140kg on the first two sets next week but decreasing the reps slightly. The third set will remain the same.

Adductor:
60kg: 35+2, 25+2, 16

Abductor:
25+2, 20+2, 23
*Today the gym was relatively empty, so I was able to alternate the above two exercises between sets. That eased the stress from having to do a quick turnaround to carry on.

Seated ham curls:
45kg: 30+2, 20+2
55kg: 12
*Weight was upped 5kg from last time, no problems.

Ab crunch:
40kg: 30, 30, 30
*Underneath the slight excess of belly flab (age-related lol) I have very developed stomach muscles which have stayed intact since my bodybuilding days, so I’m finding it unnecessary to go as heavy with the ab crunches as I need to. To keep the weight down but still retain some of the hardness, from next time I’ll be lowering the weight on this exercise to 30kg but doing two sets of 50 reps. See how it goes before I flake out in a heap on the floor!

30 mins.

All well and good. Take care all
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

08-04-2018, 07:20 PM

It not only rains here, but we're now on day two of a gloomy cold front which has me, as OGF will be shaking his head, back in long running tights and sleeves. Whatever works though, right?

The jazz fest was one of a regional sort with names mostly known in the area, and though I'm not necessarily an enthusiast, it made for a thoroughly enjoyable evening in a beautiful renovated theater and a second venue in a band stand under a square of ancient oaks lit with string of cafe lights. Not the spring chicken I used to be, Cinderella was home and tucked in well before the hands overlapped on the kitchen clock or the carriage turning back into a pumpkin.

Nice leg workout, Floydy. I am ever trying to strengthen my legs which I believe is central to most of the mobility problems that plague us in advanced age. Building muscle around the knees caan help with arthritis, I'm sure of it.

So on that vein, I laced up and braced for a hard east wind this morning, opting for a beach run thanks to a lowish tide that leaves in its wake a hard, flat running surface. While I know that dry loose sand is more difficult and a much better workout, I am still in the midst of overcoming the effects of too much sitting this winter and will have to ease back into that.

This is my favorite month of the year on the Gulf Coast. With schools back in session after the break, and the snowbirds (retirees) having gone north, the beaches are desolate and serenely beautiful. While the snowy plovers are swooping around my head to drive me away from their wide-open nests, and the sandpipers and gulls are napping in groups at the water's edge, I tried to run around them so as not to make them burn unneccessary calories thinking I am trying to catch them. These wide berths around them gave me just enough challenge to increase my heartrate and push my lazy legs a little bit causing me to burn the calories I hoped the birds conserved.

Now anticipating another long drive to North Carolina tomorrow for a celebratory but essential set of appointments with my daughter, I am going to do a full round of yoga and stretching tonight and a round of step aerobics today so I can avoid getting in and out of the car like the rusty Tin Man.

I hope OGF got that five miler in, that Floydy considers some decaff. coffee to replace a couple of those cups. Perhaps? 2020 is not so far away and I hope that you will find that being in "good" financial condition will be plenty enough. The longer we live, the simpler we seem to want to live our lives, and with that usually means fewer demands on our finances. I think you are going to find that the quality of your life is going to increase tenfold.

With that, I am off get the car packed, fueled, and clean for the long trip tomorrow. Happy walking, golf-watching (ahem), lifting, bending, stretching...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
PS:- Ruthio's done one!....Cleaned out her drawers....
See, I was here all the time, you can't get rid of me that easily Foxy

Drawers nice and tidy now

Been walkies a few times, about 3 miles each time.
Haven't started swimming again yet, it's always raining and I don't like getting wet.
Even to me that makes no sense!

Page 139 of 370 « First < 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 239 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top