Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Re: My allotment

Frost on car windscreen this morning.

Earliest I have ever known.

Onions planted and started to grow.

Planted some winter lettuce yesterday but with the frost last night wonder if they were big enough to survive.

Winter Cauliflower will go in next week.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 08:06 AM

Gosh Galtg whereabouts do you live?
I have my geraniums out still so was hoping there would be no frost for at least another's month .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Gosh Galtg whereabouts do you live?
I have my geraniums out still so was hoping there would be no frost for at least another's month .
Eastern part of London on the border with Essex.

Normal time for the first frosts is around in this area the 3rd week in November.

The Squashes and Pumpkins growing on the site are showing signs of distress(not mine)
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

21-10-2018, 08:56 PM

Ononin's in Elephants in winter lettace in weeding done, cleared of rubbish into a pile to be burnt in November

But the great news a nasty bullying bit of scum has given up his allotment who has over the years has driven decent people away with his tactics.

Also now this bulling scum bag has left they have asked me to be on the Committee.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

22-02-2019, 08:53 PM

Ok back to start again.

Great weather can and will do a lot

Put in the first of Potatoes today Very deep.

Winter lettuce planted.

A bit of hand weeding.

Were I lost a few Onions planted in the fall planted more to day

Lot of digging and my back is killing me but getting ready to plant carrots and beetroot

Welcome to This year looking forward
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

22-02-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->

As mentioned before my onions are a disaster but other plots on my allotment are doing fine...any advice on this would be welcome.

Same again this year,
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 11:33 PM

Same again this year,

Sorry if it's an obvious question Galty, but you're not growing them in the same patch every year are you?

And what about the type you grow, are there more 'resistant' types you could try like there are in blight-resistant tomatoes and fly-resistant carrots etc?

Failing that, all I can think of is try a smaller amount in a container or a couple of Grow-bags with fresh compost, so it would be a brand new growing medium altogether.
It must be very frustrating, and you must be wasting time and money as well.

Oh, one more thought, you may have already read this, but here is a link to the RHS and what they say about White Rot. It may be worth a read?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=226
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

22-02-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry if it's an obvious question Galty, but you're not growing them in the same patch every year are you?

And what about the type you grow, are there more 'resistant' types you could try like there are in blight-resistant tomatoes and fly-resistant carrots etc?

Failing that, all I can think of is try a smaller amount in a container or a couple of Grow-bags with fresh compost, so it would be a brand new growing medium altogether.
It must be very frustrating, and you must be wasting time and money as well.

Oh, one more thought, you may have already read this, but here is a link to the RHS and what they say about White Rot. It may be worth a read?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=226
Best to grow onions in the same ground year after year Unless you have had white rot...use jays fluid and wait 3 years to plant onions again other things can be planted.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2019, 11:58 PM

Best to grow onions in the same ground year after year Unless you have had white rot...use jays fluid and wait 3 years to plant onions again other things can be planted.

Yes, I remember we talked about this before, and just went back and found it again in Post 90.

Thought the RHS advice may be useful?

Can't suggest anything else, sorry.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

23-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I remember we talked about this before, and just went back and found it again in Post 90.

Thought the RHS advice may be useful?

Can't suggest anything else, sorry.
I lose a lot of the winter sets only thing I can think of is I don't keep the weeds down.

Mate on the next site loses a lot less than me.

Any way I planted some more to day see how it goes.

Ps last two years have not had any white rot.

PPS Post 90 we talked about tomato blight

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top