Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 06:52 PM

Re: Exercise class

Bit of a bump on this thread, lol! Whatever, it's a useful area for those who are interested in keeping in trim and for those who have some self-respect about their health.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
After years of being very fat (ok, "obese" in today's polite jargon!) the 5:2 diet got me down from 21st to 12½ stone. Very easy indeed to follow, minimal willpower required and it educates the body into needing less food anyway. I haven't put the weight back on, either.

All you do is eat 500 calories one day, let two or three days go by and then have another 500 calorie day. Simple as that. I'm proof it works.

As for the gym, don't be intimidated, noolsg and Lila. It's not as scary as you think and, without exception, everyone I have met in various gyms over the years has been nothing but politeness itself. I split my time between the local Age UK centre which has a small gym and the much larger Local Council Gym.

Age UK costs only £1 per session, which can be as long or as short as you like, and of course everyone is "of a certain age" and thus very social as we train. It might be worth asking if your area has one. The Council Gym has umpteen modern machines and people of all ages, shapes and sizes use it. The atmosphere is friendly but people mainly mind their own business and just nod and smile a greeting as they concentrate hard on their workouts. This one costs £6.75 for an age-related discount card that lasts a year, and a session thereafter is £2.75 - I don't bother with the monthly/yearly fee options. I went back there recently after a heart attack I had in October last year, and to add to the fun I need surgery in both knees, but nobody would think to give me a second glance as I train. No-one is judgemental. I love it.

Anyway, a bit of a long post but I hope it helps.
Excellent post and really useful information.

Interesting you succeeded so well on the 5:2 diet, that's an amazing achievement!..it was all the rage but seemed to go out of fashion lately...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Excellent post and really useful information.

Interesting you succeeded so well on the 5:2 diet, that's an amazing achievement!..it was all the rage but seemed to go out of fashion lately...

I agree with you Ruthio. Well done Tachyon.

I followed the 5 : 2 eating plan a couple of years ago, and lost about a stone & half on it.
Once I got used to the 'fast' days, it was quite easy as you say.

Might go back to it, I need to.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lila ->
I'd like an exercise class for disabled/elderly people. It is too difficult to join in with healthy able-bodied mostly young people at the leisure centre.
When I get down to the weight I want to be I would love to train to be an over 50s exercise class tutor.

I think thats why a lot of ladies over a certain age don't go to exercise class because they think they won't be able to keep up with the class, whereas if it was a class of a more mature age it would be tailored for that age group.

I haven't a clue where to start but it's something I would really love to do
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
When I get down to the weight I want to be I would love to train to be an over 50s exercise class tutor.

I think thats why a lot of ladies over a certain age don't go to exercise class because they think they won't be able to keep up with the class, whereas if it was a class of a more mature age it would be tailored for that age group.

I haven't a clue where to start but it's something I would really love to do

I am the most uncoordinated person you could meet, I have 3 left feet

I work out at home doing my wii. The easier routines I can usually keep up with but once you start having to change which side you start off with, I usually fall over

I did do a full routine , in a group of over a hundred, didn't stand a chance, but hell it was fun trying
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I am the most uncoordinated person you could meet, I have 3 left feet

I work out at home doing my wii. The easier routines I can usually keep up with but once you start having to change which side you start off with, I usually fall over

I did do a full routine , in a group of over a hundred, didn't stand a chance, but hell it was fun trying
Haha, that reminded me of when I first went to a step class. The class was well established and I was the new girl, They were working around the step and I kept going completely the opposite way to everyone else, it was so embarrassing but I can laugh about it now.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 08:37 PM

I still think swimming is the best, it exercises everything and doesn't half kill you. Neither do you have to race up and down the lanes doing the crawl, you can take your time and go into the slow lane and do whatever stroke you want. Gradually build up your lengths till your doing as many as you want.
watsonwillam
Australia
watsonwillam is male 

27-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Getting to the gym isn’t easy—it’s so common to prioritize other things like work and family before you set time aside to squeeze in a workout. Instead of letting exercise fall to the wayside, prioritize yourself by investing in a gym subscription or an online exercise program that works for your lifestyle and keeps you on track.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top