Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:48 PM

Re: Do you pay gas and electric by direct debit?

I like the fact that I can go online, see my usage for last year and compare it with my present usage. It goes to show that I am consistent and in line with their predictive payments. All my bills are paid by DD, always have been, and I receive no paper accounts whatsoever. I could print them off if I wanted, but that is not the object of going paperless.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Paying IN ADVANCE for energy usage or anything else for that matter is imho just stupid.

You are just giving away your money to other people who will generate their own money from it when in fact YOU should be making that money.

It's a bit like those silly Premium Bonds. Buy PBs and you are giving your money to someone else to hold and they will undoubtedly invest/speculate with it to make more money, more profits.

As individuals it is US that should be investing/speculating with OUR money and thereby reaping the profits from that.

Never give your hard-earned money away to others imho.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:51 PM

You've got to be joking. Just how much interest would my £200 heating allowance generate in the three months, given the paltry interest offered by banks? Plus, I am unlikely to spend it on something less important than my heating if it is in my bank account, rather than knowing I can have my heating on during cold days.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
British Gas are as bad as the rest Julie ... they have been doing it for years! Of course they can't increase your direct debit, if you tell them not to, but I had to spend 30 minutes in the phone this morning......because N Power were so busy. Most people who work full time can't spare that time, on the phone, just to point out that their figures are not
correct!
If they service your heating boiler beware! Every time they came out to mine they said the boiler would soon need to be replaced ( a sly attempt to sell you a new boiler). The last time they came they said it was unsafe and switched it off, because I told them that I wouldn't be buying a new one from them. I then got 2 different expert CORGI men out to check it. Both told me it was perfectly alright and British Gas did this all the time to make money on selling new boilers. That same boiler is still perfectly safe 10 years later
I had the same experience with BG who were pedalling a new boiler or, at the very least, a very expensive flushing act.

I cancelled my contract and now have annual service by an excellent local company.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 01:50 PM

I don't have any direct debits, I do not trust these companies to have access to my bank account.
At least getting paper bills each quarter in arrears I can check and query if necessary.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yolande ->
I don't have any direct debits, I do not trust these companies to have access to my bank account.
At least getting paper bills each quarter in arrears I can check and query if necessary.
Some suppliers offer cheaper tariffs if you pay by direct debit. If they take too much and don't reduce the amount immediate, you can cancel the next direct debit quite easily!
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Some suppliers offer cheaper tariffs if you pay by direct debit. If they take too much and don't reduce the amount immediate, you can cancel the next direct debit quite easily!
Nothing would persuade me to do direct debits, not even the small saving offered on the tariff!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
and make sure they are not trying the same with you, if you pay by direct debit
We are not with NPower, but I refuse to get involved with direct debit, I calculate our annual useage and send them a cheque at the start of the year and they send me a quartely staement. It's impossible for them to get it wrong since I also send them readings so I know before the statement what we've used. They keep telling me I can save £50 a year if I register with them and pay by DD, no way

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
When at the kennels we had a letter from them (NPower) saying I was dead. They regretted my demise then said they demanded payment from my estate .

So I rang them up and said "what is it like talking to a dead person"
Made me laugh that did, thanks
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
you can cancel the next direct debit quite easily!
Depends on what you call 'easily' if you have time on your hands and nothing to do then phoning and going through all the stupid security questions and waiting and waiting to get through to a human then fine but I have better things to do with my time. As I said above, don't want DD ever
CeeCee
UK

06-01-2018, 06:42 PM

I dont phone anyone to cancel a Direct Debit, I do it instantly online with my bank. I check my account weekly so that I know exactly what comes in and goes out and when. Just as I pay many things by direct transfer to the recipients account.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top