Join for free
Page 15 of 50 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 01:44 AM

Re: Brexit and the EU

Excellent post
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 01:49 AM

Just out of interest red sailor, why Poland?
Red Sailor
New Member!
United Kingdom
Red Sailor is male 

18-11-2018, 05:38 AM

Annie S,

I believe the present PM of Poland is quite sympathetic to the UK desire to quit the EU, But I have a sneaking suspicion that Tusk has his eyes on her post following the expiration of his EU posting. My fear may be unfounded but this man is an extremely slippery character with a considerable degree of support and influence in his homeland. Despite his assurances to the contrary, I don't for one minute believe he is on our side.

Perhaps I make too much of the Polish involvement but can't ignore such a large population and their adverse voting aimed at the UK arising, if that situation should occur. I have no particular axe to grind with the Polish nation which is more than I can say about France and Germany who are the principal EU puppeteers in this whole charade.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Red Sailor ->
Annie S,

I believe the present PM of Poland is quite sympathetic to the UK desire to quit the EU, But I have a sneaking suspicion that Tusk has his eyes on her post following the expiration of his EU posting. My fear may be unfounded but this man is an extremely slippery character with a considerable degree of support and influence in his homeland. Despite his assurances to the contrary, I don't for one minute believe he is on our side.

Perhaps I make too much of the Polish involvement but can't ignore such a large population and their adverse voting aimed at the UK arising, if that situation should occur. I have no particular axe to grind with the Polish nation which is more than I can say about France and Germany who are the principal EU puppeteers in this whole charade.
Hi

Tusk is as well liked in Poland as Blair is here in the UK.

He has been accused of Treason and involvement in a plane crash which is being treated as murder.

As regards your previous post about the £40 Billion.

Half of that is what we have agreed to pay for a Transition Period after next March .

We asked for that simply because we are not ready to leave because Cameron had made no plans to leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 11:22 AM

Theresa May has weathered a political turmoil, not always of her own making over the entire process, but there is no disputing that deep down she would prefer remaining within the EU. For this, we need a real leader whose heart is firmly behind a Brexit strategy that will work to the advantage of the UK as a complete entity.

Our government needs to grow some spine by letting the EU know we are united and resolute in what we want and cannot be dictated to by a jumped up totalitarian regime.
That's very true. May, despite her empty promises: "Brexit means Brexit", etc,. would clearly prefer it if we did not leave her wonderful EU. She has, in fact, lied.

But there lies the problem: we are not united. Some of us are resolute in what we want, but there is too much opposition from the remoaners, including May, other MPs and civil servants. I believe that the press and, of course, the BBC are also responsible.

We have been a divided nation for many years, and Brexit has failed to bring us back together.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 11:27 AM

Annie S,

I agree that Tusk is not on our side any more than Merkel and Macron. However, when it comes to ordinary people, I believe that many Europeans can understand our position and some would probably support us.

Once we have left, assuming we can put in place a PM who is a Brexiteer, and that we have made a long-term success of Brexit, there are likely to be other countries which will decide to follow us out of the EU. It certainly will not last for ever: all empires have fallen in time, and the EU is no exception.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 11:39 AM

Ok. Given that this is a draft agreement and the EI initially said there would be no cherry picking, what happens if the EU countries reject it. Is it even in the EU interest in that there are some countries would quite like a similar arrangement. I don’t know, just throwing it out there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 12:16 PM

I assume both sides would have to go back to the negotiating table.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 01:11 PM

Hi

As things stand we are due to leave in March.

Both sides would have to agree to any extension of negotiations.

We set the date.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

As things stand we are due to leave in March.

Both sides would have to agree to any extension of negotiations.

We set the date.
But the umbilical cord will still not have been cut.

Page 15 of 50 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top