Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 11:00 AM

Growing from Seed

I like to start a few things off from seed if I can, so last night I sowed my Tomato seeds, some Carnations, Evening Primrose, Primroses to plant out next autumn, and just a few Gerbera house plants.

I've got them on the window sill at the mo, but think I might have to get my small propagator going really.

Do you grow much from seed, and have you started anything yet?

BTW, my Ginger is still growing nicely, so going to plant a second lot to follow on, soon.

Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Re: Growing from Seed

I used to grow lots from seed but after the garden was destroyed in 2007 I lost all interest.

However this year I have bought some seed so will be trying again.

Cue every windowsill in the house being covered in seed trays
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 11:20 AM

I've got my old greenhouse up now so I'm raring to go! Next stop buying ten bags of compost!

I use every single seedling, I can't stand to throw them away, it's too cruel

I went on Thompson and Morgan website, good range of reduced seeds atm

I would love it if we could swap plants on here!

Six trays planted already. Looking out for flowers that like full sun for my front garden, it gets very hot.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Mups I haven't got a greenhouse and don't do well with seeds, they usually die off before reaching any size.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 08:34 PM

OK
Winter lettuce planted in November and planted out doing well.

Sprouts planted as seeds to early in August and transplanted this month not doing well.

Leeks no problem with them growing well.

Planted my King Edwards last week they take a longer growing season so bury them deep to protect from late frosts

Next month will just sow seeds in the ground ..Beet root ...Carrots ..Radish ...and such
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I've got my old greenhouse up now so I'm raring to go! Next stop buying ten bags of compost!

I use every single seedling, I can't stand to throw them away, it's too cruel

I went on Thompson and Morgan website, good range of reduced seeds atm

I would love it if we could swap plants on here!

Six trays planted already. Looking out for flowers that like full sun for my front garden, it gets very hot.
Tessa I now have deep greenhouse envy. How wonderful it must be to have such a luxurious place to relax in the sun's rays with your plants! A lovely slug-free heaven where you can enjoy your morning coffee while potting up and communing with nature.

Where do you order your compost Tessa? I wanted to order online this year as the new three raised beds need a lot of earth. But when I went to the B&Q site they don't seem to offer my choice for home delivery. It's too much hassle to keep driving to the shop for a few bags each time.

Also does anyone recommend a good brand because I've gone for Westmoreland peat free but not sure if that's ideal for veggies.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Tessa I now have deep greenhouse envy. How wonderful it must be to have such a luxurious place to relax in the sun's rays with your plants! A lovely slug-free heaven where you can enjoy your morning coffee while potting up and communing with nature.

Where do you order your compost Tessa? I wanted to order online this year as the new three raised beds need a lot of earth. But when I went to the B&Q site they don't seem to offer my choice for home delivery. It's too much hassle to keep driving to the shop for a few bags each time.

Also does anyone recommend a good brand because I've gone for Westmoreland peat free but not sure if that's ideal for veggies

Funny you should say that Annie, because in my garden magazine last week they were testing various composts.

The one that came out as tops was ' Oncredicompost.'
It said - " Light, soft and fluffy with small fibrous material that hardly needed sieving. Achieved 100% germination.
Good water absorbtion without saturating.
Fastest germination speed and first for number of seedlings it produced."

It didn't give a price, but I know it is expensive, guess you get what you pay for though.

I believe Thompson & Morgan sell it and will deliver.

The next best one was Levington multi purpose, along with Miracle Gro Peat Free, which is available in 8 ltr or 50 ltr bags.

Hope that's some help.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 12:14 AM

Thanks Mups I will try those brands and see if I can order online.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks Mups I will try those brands and see if I can order online.

Annie, my apologies, just noticed I spelt that name wrong.
It should be Incredicompost, not an 'O' at the front.

Here's a link to T & M's prices, but I believe Amazon stock it too.

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/in...streg/t56335TM
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 03:57 PM

I love growing plants from seed. I love taking cuttings too.

The seed I am looking for at the moment is called Mumsamugofficionalis otherwise known as the Money tree. My kids believe in it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top