Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 09:44 PM

Re: Hedgehogs

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
This is the house I built....First pic is the outside, second is inside the main sleeping chamber and the third is the entrance chamber.
What? No sunroom?
That’s so cute Nicol.
Good job.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 09:47 PM

The faces of hedgehogs are so cute.

I haven't seen one for ages
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
This is the house I built....First pic is the outside, second is inside the main sleeping chamber and the third is the entrance chamber.
Nicol, that is virtually identical to the one I have, but it's not home made. Very well done to you. Is that roofing felt it's covered with ?

I have covered the top of mine with a plastic sheeting and placed a number of conifer branches and logs on top. Just to give it a bit of secrecy and extra protection through the winter, although I am not sure it will make any difference. Hedgehogs have visited my box, but I really don't know if they have taken to using it now. They are still coming for food every night, but my suspicions that there might be at least one taking up residence in my garage. Damn, I was hoping to clear that out before winter.
Good luck with your little ones.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
The faces of hedgehogs are so cute.

I haven't seen one for ages
Do remember 20 years ago at night they would run over the road and would see dead ones the next day.

Have not seen one for years.

But on my allotment I put a pile of rubbish over the summer and I have to burn it around Guy Folks night but I always move it before I burn it just incase a hedgehog has made a nest in it
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Attachment 7681

My hedgehog, it's still about, I found some poo earlier, your house gave me an idea for using a wooden bread bin I was about to take to the charity shop

Hope you can see the photo.
Was that taken in daytime TessA. or with flash ?
I hope it was flash, as I don't think they should be out during the day , it's usually an indication that they are sick.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 11:58 PM

forgot to quote.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Attachment 7681

My hedgehog, it's still about, I found some poo earlier, your house gave me an idea for using a wooden bread bin I was about to take to the charity shop

Hope you can see the photo.
Yes, I can, TessA.
Good idea to use a bread bin.
Looks like a flash to me.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Nicol, that is virtually identical to the one I have, but it's not home made. Very well done to you. Is that roofing felt it's covered with ?

I have covered the top of mine with a plastic sheeting and placed a number of conifer branches and logs on top. Just to give it a bit of secrecy and extra protection through the winter, although I am not sure it will make any difference. Hedgehogs have visited my box, but I really don't know if they have taken to using it now. They are still coming for food every night, but my suspicions that there might be at least one taking up residence in my garage. Damn, I was hoping to clear that out before winter.
Good luck with your little ones.
Yes, it's covered in roofing felt as I only used scrap wood, mostly chipboard and MDF, neither of which are weatherproof or suitable for waterproofing.

And you have to be careful what stain/waterproofing you use as most oil based ones are toxic to the hogs.

The new hog house is supposed to be arriving today which is just as well as we're due for some much colder weather at the end of the week I think.

Thank you all for your kind words regarding my handiwork, it was during the making of this hoghouse that I managed to drill through my finger There was literally blood, sweat and tears (and a few swear words)
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:05 PM

New Hog House has arrived.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Hog House.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	7685  
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Was that taken in daytime TessA. or with flash ?
I hope it was flash, as I don't think they should be out during the day , it's usually an indication that they are sick.
It was at night, I shone a light on it I think as my phone flash doesn't give good photos, can't remember .

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top