Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 05:47 PM

Lily of the Valley

Ive bought some Lily of the Valley from my local garden centre and have potted the roots up in a pot ,has anyone any tips on looking after them ,ive no idea but have always loved Lily of the Valley and wanted some in the garden.
Can they stay potted up or do I eventually have to transfer them to the garden.?
I have the pot situated on my door step at the front as it gets part sun part shade and is nice and warm when the suns out too. How long before I should see something happening do you think?

Any help/tips would be much appreciated....thanks!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Re: Lily of the Valley

Hi Aysa luckily I love Lily of the Valley, they were my Fathers favourite flower.
I say lucky because my garden is full of them
I have never planted any they crept under the fence from my neighbours garden and they spread everywhere.
So take care where you plant them, they will spread.

Mine are on a south facing border which is in full sun and very dry although I always thought they liked shade.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 08:18 PM

Hi Meg
my grandad used to have a huge patch of this in his garden and I would get down on my knees as a kiddie to smell the little flowers ,I loved them and still do.
I shall pop them in the garden once theyve got going as ive quite a lot of places where they can run riot if need be.
I shall have mine in part sun/shade
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 09:00 PM

My Nan used to love this too, Aysa.
I remember always sniffing it when I was a kid.

Remember though if you have little grandchildren or pets, that the berries are poisonous. In fact, I think the whole plant is?

Oh hold on, I just fund this:

"All parts of the plant are highly poisonous, including the red berries which may be attractive to children. If ingested—even in small amounts—the plant can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, reduced heart rate, blurred vision, drowsiness, and red skin rashes."
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

02-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Remember though if you have little grandchildren or pets, that the berries are poisonous. In fact, I think the whole plant is?

"All parts of the plant are highly poisonous, including the red berries which may be attractive to children. If ingested—even in small amounts—the plant can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, reduced heart rate, blurred vision, drowsiness, and red skin rashes."
Wow I didnt know they were poisonous Mups thanks for the info ,I shall keep mine in pots so I can keep an eye on them and keep them out of the way of my little live wire,mind you he doesnt go for plants but you can never be too careful.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Haven't got them in our garden now but I do remember having them years ago and we treated them like mint.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Haven't got them in our garden now but I do remember having them years ago and we treated them like mint.

What can you mean Julie?

Hope you didn't sprinkle it on your new potatoes.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I didn’t know this either and have it growing wild in my garden so thanks.
Luckily my dogs don’t bother with it. I sometimes pick it to put in the bathroom. The smell is heavenly
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Ive bought some Lily of the Valley from my local garden centre and have potted the roots up in a pot ,has anyone any tips on looking after them ,ive no idea but have always loved Lily of the Valley and wanted some in the garden.
Can they stay potted up or do I eventually have to transfer them to the garden.?
I have the pot situated on my door step at the front as it gets part sun part shade and is nice and warm when the suns out too. How long before I should see something happening do you think?

Any help/tips would be much appreciated....thanks!!

My neighbour has Lily of the valley,Aysa,it flowers very early,(first part of our year),not sure about leaving them in pots,

Her shady part of the garden,was covered in them,they have even spread into the field,which has large Oak trees growing over them,..when they come up next year,I will take a photo of them,I keep reminding myself to buy some,but keep forgetting,a very delicate beautiful flower,when I see them,as they are always the first flowers to appear,they make me think,that Spring isn't far away,
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

03-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I had a feeling they may have been similar to mint as in spreading Julie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top