Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 01:17 PM

Haemochromatosis - 'The most common condition you've never heard of'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46153617

For years, Katherine Hough, 27, suffered from a series of mystifying symptoms.

"I had unexplained stomach pains. Then when I got to university I began to faint frequently, my hair was falling out, I had severe joint pains and was constantly tired. My Mum thought it was down to my hectic student lifestyle."

A visit to her GP and two blood tests for iron levels revealed that she was suffering from genetic haemochromatosis or GH - a genetic condition which causes iron to overload in the body.

Most of us think of iron as a strength-giver and worry more about iron deficiency. There is little awareness of the risks of iron overload, and confusingly some of the symptoms, like fatigue, can be the same.
What is genetic haemochromatosis?
  • GH is a condition which leads to the accumulation of iron in the organs of the body
  • In the UK, it is thought that approximately 250,000 people are at risk of GH, although many are undiagnosed, and the risk is higher for men than women
  • It is caused by a faulty gene - Northern Europeans with Celtic origins, particularly of Irish backgrounds, are more likely to carry the gene
  • Symptoms of GH include fatigue, joint disease, skin problems, and sexual health issues. Left untreated GH can cause serious illness such as liver cancer and cirrhosis.
  • Treatment is relatively simple and consists of venesection (bloodletting). As the body makes more blood to replace that taken, it uses up the excess stored iron.
I was diagnosed a few years ago and had a year of fortnightly "bloodlettings" to bring my iron level down - now I have venesection once or twice a year. It's not a cure and, fortunately, I don't suffer from all the symptoms, but the risk of liver and heart disease has been reduced.

In my case, I have Irish heritage (my birth mother).

https://westernpeople.ie/2015/03/25/...st-of-ireland/

In Europe between one in 300/400 have the potential to develop iron overload. In Ireland, particularly in the west, one in five people are carriers of the gene and one in 83 are predisposed to develop iron overload.

Why has the west of Ireland been cursed with this affliction? After countless studies, it is widely believed that haeomochromatosis may not have originated as a bad thing- in fact it may have saved the lives of our ancestors. Turns out, it is very likely that the Famine and a very poor diet contributed to a mutation of genes in order to absorb extra iron.
So, if you have Irish blood in you and are experiencing any of the symptoms outlined above, see your GP.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 01:21 PM

Re: Haemochromatosis - 'The most common condition you've never heard of'

Gosh as someone who has to take iron supplements I wasn't aware of this at all. Glad they are treating you now as it sounds like one of those things it takes a while for a gp to get around to testing for.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Gosh as someone who has to take iron supplements I wasn't aware of this at all. Glad they are treating you now as it sounds like one of those things it takes a while for a gp to get around to testing for.
In my case, a new GP at my local surgery, aware of the condition, reviewed recent blood test results of likely "candidates" - my iron levels were very high and required immediate treatment so, out of the blue, the GP called to notify me .....

Otherwise, my fatigue and joint pain would have been put down to "old age" .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 01:39 PM

Far too many things are put down to age and weight and various other things without proper thought put into diagnosis IMO
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

11-11-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Far too many things are put down to age and weight and various other things without proper thought put into diagnosis IMO
A former GP of mine put most ailments in middle age and onwards as "wear and tear" and advised "take 2 Paracetamol as required" .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
A former GP of mine put most ailments in middle age and onwards as "wear and tear" and advised "take 2 Paracetamol as required" .....

I agree, Omah.

With my back troubles I have just been told the same old blah . . . " Wear & tear. You must expect these things are your age."

So many prefer to write a prescription than investigate.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 06:14 PM

I've now got a craving for oranges
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 06:25 PM

I think Beautiful Filly's husband has this condition....
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I think Beautiful Filly's husband has this condition....

Yes Blue...you're absolutely right...Allen does have Hereditary Hemochromatosis...and in the past 12 or so years, has had to have a phlebotomy about once every six months... Lately though...he has been holding his own.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 06:44 PM

When told you I had to take iron, I think that is when you told me about Al and that was the first time I had heard of it.
See ya!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top