Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 02:58 AM

Phd student sentenced to life in prison in UAE

Here we go again - Saudi Arabia flexes its muscles and murders one of its own originals who became American and Donald Trump turns a blind eye!

Now UAE jailed a Phd researcher from UK with life sentence.

Copy cast stupidity - UAE see Saudi get away with it and now it's doing the same thing. Britain once ruled large swathes of the ME because they were tribal and fought each other regularly and couldn't march forward with modernization.

wots changed they have just built veneers and are still tribal and violent and need curbing! but will Theresa do anything or follow Trumps lead?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 07:25 AM

Re: Phd student sentenced to life in prison in UAE

Heard this case on radio 4 last night. They spoke to some Saudi official who of course denied any ill treatment of the man, said he was allowed his i-Phone in jail, was given all medication for his depression and was treated well. When asked why he had been shown a confession to sign - in Arabic, which he could neither read nor speak, was assured that a translator was on hand at all times for him and that all legal documents in the UAE had to be in Arabic.

They then spoke to a man (forget his name) who was released a couple of years ago and was imprisoned in similar circumstances. He had been tazered, abused and raped in prison there. He said his stomach was bleeding and begged a doctor for paracetamol and was refused. He said the idea of being allowed an i-Phone was ludicrous.

Needless to say, he advised anyone who didn't absolutely have to visit the UAE, to avoid the place. Some civilisation eh?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 07:53 AM

It's inexplicable why the UAE are treating this student like this. No lawyer was present at his 5-minute hearing and it is said that they have made him plead guilty by playing on his mental state.
Solitary confinement with no TV or books.
Bed Bradshaw on ITV this morning says this treatment of this lad is very mysterious and without evidence.
Middle Eastern fanatics strike again. No wonder the West will never trust a Muslim country when they behave as erratic and unfriendly as this.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 09:54 AM

I agree with all the above...but what was the boy doing??
Did he have any advice? Did he have permission?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 10:30 AM

It baffles me why people visit these areas, why was the government saying it was a safe area ? why do we consider the UAE as our friends in the region ? baffled I am.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 11:09 AM

£100m has been spent on a new campus there!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...matthew-hedges

Apparently he was raised there!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Poor beggar .
These people are arrogant to a degree they do anything they want too.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 12:49 PM

I have a suggestion to make. He was working on a PhD thesis concerning the Arab Spring. To do this he would need to access documents and speak to participants. People with a skeleton in their cupboards would like their actions not to be revealed. Furthermore, they might be genuinely unaware of what a PhD thesis actually is. It must be up to the Foreign Office to explain this. Spying for Britain? What on earth is there that the UK government would want to find out?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I have a suggestion to make. He was working on a PhD thesis concerning the Arab Spring. To do this he would need to access documents and speak to participants. People with a skeleton in their cupboards would like their actions not to be revealed. Furthermore, they might be genuinely unaware of what a PhD thesis actually is. It must be up to the Foreign Office to explain this. Spying for Britain? What on earth is there that the UK government would want to find out?
Working on a Thesis concerning the Arab Spring. Now accused of spying for UK Government .

It was reported yesterday that whilst he was in solitary confinement, his wife was advised by the foreign office, not to say anything in public. That's according to Ben Bradshaw.
The UAE did not suffer from the Arab Spring.
The conclusion in my mind is that either the UAE had something to do with kicking off the Arab Spring, in collusion with the US and maybe the UK too.
That wouldn't surprise me one bit when we see how the west had intervened in a region in ways they should not have, and where they should have stayed out of.
Maybe this lad is a scape goat and 'life' means he can never reveal any of his findings.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
You are right, as far as the authorities out there are concerned he was asking questions and recording answers about something that was a 'sensitive' subject. In countries like that 'sensitive' equates to 'secret' so they had every right to arrest him.

When you go to someone elses country it seems obvious to me that the first thing you do before arriving is to speak to the embassy and find out what you can and can't do. Get the embassy in London to provide you with some contacts.

I've been to several middle east countries ('tho not the UAE) and I always did my research before leaving. The Foreign Office will issue you with a comprehensive book about laws, customs, contacts, diseases, and a whole lot of other stuff.

It took me about half an hour to read and make notes and I never had any problems.

For someone who is supposedlu doing a Phd it seems that he did none of the above. Of course the media love to make a story of this and millions of their readers viewers will swallow it all like the brain washed dumbos they are.

The best thing that can happen is for the media to get their grubby little hands off the story and let some quiet diplomacy take place. Then, dispite this guys naivety, he will be released.

Don't know what unniversity he is attending but they too are partly responsible, why did they not check over his thesis summary before he went out there. Must have been one these pseudo unniversities i.e. a college of arts and crafts which has been allowed to morph itself into a unniversity.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top