Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 10:32 PM

Re: Pre Diabetes

First session today lasted for ninety minutes. Very useful. Confirmed what i already knew...Too many sugary foods..biscuits..cakes..even fruit. Major changes required but i have the will power to do it. Three more weekly sessions to come this year followed by nine further ones in the new year.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2018, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
First session today lasted for ninety minutes. Very useful. Confirmed what i already knew...Too many sugary foods..biscuits..cakes..even fruit. Major changes required but i have the will power to do it. Three more weekly sessions to come this year followed by nine further ones in the new year.
Yes, you can be eating the wrong type of fruit. I think berries are good, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries but root veg is off the menu for a while.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 02:42 AM

Seems too much effort. Personally I eat meat, eggs, some fruit, biscuits, cake, ice cream (my real weakness) but rarely vegetables (spawn of the devil) and while I can tolerate potatoes, peas and carrots I eat them sparingly (potatoes usually as chips)

Years ago my doctor gave me a lecture about cholesterol because mine was near the top of the acceptable range and showed me two lists of food; things I shouldn't eat and things I should eat. There was nothing on the list of food I should eat that I liked, everything I liked was on the list of food to avoid.

I told him if I had to live like that life would be intolerable, he has never raised the subject since.

My doctor still conducts blood tests every couple of years but my sugar and cholesterol remain stubbornly normal.

Why live longer if you are miserable? Food should be a pleasure not a chore.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 03:30 PM

Well I think you should take care of yourself more Bruce, if your cholesterol is really high you will end up having a Heart Attack or Stroke.

Yes for Diabetes all types of Berries are good for you, also Apple or Pear, but the rest of it are high in natural sugars.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Seems too much effort. Personally I eat meat, eggs, some fruit, biscuits, cake, ice cream (my real weakness) but rarely vegetables (spawn of the devil) and while I can tolerate potatoes, peas and carrots I eat them sparingly (potatoes usually as chips)

Years ago my doctor gave me a lecture about cholesterol because mine was near the top of the acceptable range and showed me two lists of food; things I shouldn't eat and things I should eat. There was nothing on the list of food I should eat that I liked, everything I liked was on the list of food to avoid.

I told him if I had to live like that life would be intolerable, he has never raised the subject since.

My doctor still conducts blood tests every couple of years but my sugar and cholesterol remain stubbornly normal.

Why live longer if you are miserable? Food should be a pleasure not a chore.
I think there is a lot of truth in that Bruce. I hate salad.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Well I think you should take care of yourself more Bruce, if your cholesterol is really high you will end up having a Heart Attack or Stroke.

Yes for Diabetes all types of Berries are good for you, also Apple or Pear, but the rest of it are high in natural sugars.
My cholesterol is within the normal range I think it is 4 whereas the upper limit is 5.5 (something like that).

A friend of mine pointed out to me that I was the only person she knew that had no regular (ie daily) medication. My only tablets are pain killers which I rarely take. I haven't worked out whether I should be pleased or worried about that.

That is not to say I am free of annoying problems, for example apart from a bad back I am developing arthritis in my left thumb and right wrist and while it doesn't cause me many problems it does occasionally give me a jolt when I am careless.

I am surprised that I don't have any breathing problems (yet) because I spent 30 years working in various power stations in and around asbestos, gas and dust/ash. Statistically 25% of power station workers have lung problems but so far so good.

Funny thing is I got severely told off in the last week with my seniors club at the local council community centre where we are licensees. Apparently people over 70 years old are not allowed to climb ladders. How silly is that!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

30-11-2018, 12:24 PM

BTW I recall hearing a doctor academic on TV say that statistically 58 years old is the break even point for heart attacks.

A person younger than 58 who has a heart attack is less than 50% likely to survive the episode, the younger the worse the statistic whereas often over 70 year olds have a heart attack in the morning and are out gardening in the afternoon (his words not mine)
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 04:33 PM

Your Cholesterol levels are very good Bruce, mine is 4.6.

I'm surprised you have not got breathing problems with the work you used to do. I have always had problems with my lungs, I had collapsed lungs when I was just 3 years old, but I do now have COPD/Asthma.

As for Ladders, if you are used to climbing Ladders then I can't see that there is a problem, my Husband still climbs Ladders and he is 66 years old.
Jaybay
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
Jaybay is female 

02-12-2018, 10:10 PM

The sessions are OK, but you would be better looking at the forums available for diabetics. I was diagnosed three years ago and found the NHS information sadly lacking. I was and am very fit and active and always had a healthy diet.
I read lots about carbohydrates and how they impact your blood glucose and started to test my own blood. I have cut out everything with sugar and all carbs that raise my glucose levels too high. As pre diebetic you may be able to control by cutting out sugar and cutting back on some carbs. Be careful with things like too much fruit and drinking fruit juices. The biggest help I received was from members of the diebetic forums as the members are so knowledgable.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2018, 09:06 AM

Thanks for your input Jaybay. Yes i'm getting lots of info from lots of different sources, most of which is common sense and some is stuff which i didn't realise.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top