Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 04:42 PM

Re: Roasting a joint,in a slow cooker

Yes the meat done in a slow cooker falls right off the bone.
Apple goes very nicely with it. I made pork & apples yesterday and added cinnamon & nutmeg. It’s very nice. My husband liked it also.
Good luck.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Tell me more UJ,apparently it is so tender,and the juice from the joint,you get far much more,as it doesn't dry up,my friend does it,I was amazed at the meat juices from her joint of beef!...do you set the slow cooker on low?.

Absolutely Pauline darlin' - when I prepared it last evening I placed the joint in the slow cooker, added a very small quantity of water, sliced an onion and placed that in with the joint too and crumbled an oxo cube over it all. When I took the joint out of the cooker earlier today, as you say the meat was so tender it was difficult to carve. The juices I poured into a saucepan, added a teaspoon of Bisto powder and another oxo cube to make the gravy with. The whole thing was moreish. With the remains of the joint I intend to make a cauldron of stew and suet dumplings tomorrow.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Hi Pauline......if someone says they are having a joint here, they are meaning they are going to have a marijuana cigarette. They call them weeds and joints.
I know exactly what you mean Blue

I haven't been able to put the mental image of Pauline toking through a bong out of my head all day

And it doesn't sit easy in there either!!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I know exactly what you mean Blue

I haven't been able to put the mental image of Pauline toking through a bong out of my head all day

And it doesn't sit easy in there either!!!

No Rhian darlin' over here its called a spliff !!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Absolutely Pauline darlin' - when I prepared it last evening I placed the joint in the slow cooker, added a very small quantity of water, sliced an onion and placed that in with the joint too and crumbled an oxo cube over it all. When I took the joint out of the cooker earlier today, as you say the meat was so tender it was difficult to carve. The juices I poured into a saucepan, added a teaspoon of Bisto powder and another oxo cube to make the gravy with. The whole thing was moreish. With the remains of the joint I intend to make a cauldron of stew and suet dumplings tomorrow.

UJ, I haven't tried a joint in the slow cooker yet, so roughly how much liquid did you add to your joint, was it just quarter way up the meat, or half way - what?
Also, did you cook it on high or low and for how long please?

I ask because in instructions I have seen says liquid has to just cover the veg, so do you have to 'just cover' a joint as well? Thanks.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

26-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
UJ, I haven't tried a joint in the slow cooker yet, so roughly how much liquid did you add to your joint, was it just quarter way up the meat, or half way - what?
Also, did you cook it on high or low and for how long please?

I ask because in instructions I have seen says liquid has to just cover the veg, so do you have to 'just cover' a joint as well? Thanks.

No Pauline darlin' - about 1/2 cup - you don't want too much liquid otherwise you're then boiling it rather than roasting it. My slow cooker is so old (Pifco) that it only has two controls - low or high. I very rarely use the 'high'.

It will need to be cooked for several hours, so I tend to prepare it and then switch on just before retiring for the night - it then cooks all through the night and you wake up to a truly delightful smell emanating from the kitchen.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Anyone here ever done it'?
Not quite but I have smoked a joint in a Holden Kingswood many years ago.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top