Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 08:10 AM

Re: Ways of saving mobile data when in hospital?

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sign of the times isn't it Julie? No wi-fi and having to pay for parking
Mine came with free wi-fi 2 years ago then they ended it - presumedly as a cost-saving measure.

I found, though, that if I sticked to forums with the occasional google or wikipedia article then it wasn't too bad.

It's just no fun, though, being on even the biggest iPhone screen possible.I did download a couple of iTunes programmes before I went in, though, and those were fine.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Back off ignore (lol) just to say I agree with you on that, Wikiman. Streaming I guess is for people who don't have a very big music library. All of my 6500 albums are on mp3 now and I either play them via a player connected to a speaker, or make CDRWs for the car with up to 60 tracks on each.
I can't use ear pods due to tinnitus.
Don't forget that with the streaming services like Spotify you can download albums etc to store on your phone so you can play them when ever you have no wifi or data services.

I have over 1000 (Spotify) songs on my phone which I can play via Bluetooth in my car, wireless headphones or my Flip4 at any time even if I am hundreds of Kms from a phone signal or wifi.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 11:05 AM

I've always been a bit scared of spotify I used to down load from another source and found out they were illegal so felt really guilty for ages. No one caught me and I stopped as soon as I realised. So I've avoided anyone other than the big guaranteed sites like Amazon and I tunes.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Don't forget that with the streaming services like Spotify you can download albums etc to store on your phone so you can play them when ever you have no wifi or data services.

I have over 1000 (Spotify) songs on my phone which I can play via Bluetooth in my car, wireless headphones or my Flip4 at any time even if I am hundreds of Kms from a phone signal or wifi.

Worth clarifying that Bruce.

Correct me if I am wrong but . . . .

1) The music you download from Spotify is in proprietary encrypted format and so can only be played using Spotify software/apps.

2) Thus any download is not your personal copy of the music (as per a CD or MP3 file) and thus can not be freely moved around and played on any music player

In short this is little different from downloading Kindle books. The Kindle books are in proprietary format and wrapped in DRM (Digital Rights Management) so although it "feels" like you've bought a personal copy of a book, in truth you haven't, you've bought an encrypted item that will only work using Amazon software and which you can not pass onto to a friend or family member (without their permission)

It transpires that there ARE ways to strip away the DRM from Kindle books and then convert them into a variety of non-proprietary formats. Once done you DO then have a copy of the book which you own and can pass on to anyone and read with any software.

I guess there maybe a similar way to strip DRM from Spotify music files and turn them into true MP3s but don't know at this stage.

Bottom line for me though is that buying items that are encrypted and wrapped in DRM is poor value for money and to be avoided.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Yes, I have around 2500 Google Play music songs downloaded; they're mine, anyway as I did upload them. I do understand that you can download newer stuff.

Problem I had in hospital was I forgot my headphones. I was mainly listening to podcasts, though delivered through the phone's own loudspeakers. It was a pretty good experience although I missed my Bowers & Wilkins PX at times.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

23-12-2018, 10:47 PM

I found I didn't really use that much data during my hospital stays. I rarely downloaded movies to the device first.

I was mainly using it to come on here which can't use that much power plus one other site. 30 minutes of TV news with videos and the occasional Google or Wikipedia search. I think that in 3 days I used around 250MB of my 3GB available.

Being really sick, also, puts into touch any data I might want to use.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

11-01-2019, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
If you are a light user and dedicated PAYG user then 1pMobile is likely your cheapest option.

1p per text
1p per min calls
1p per MB data

I don't personally use data on my phone. I use a netbook and free Wifi wherever I go.

If you own a Smart Phone (I purposely don't) then you have the problem that you have limited control over the device and what it is doing.
Smart Phones typically come loaded with software and Apps and those get added to as you download more and more.

Apps very often are developed to automatically go off, connect to the network and download updates. It will often happen in the background without you being aware.

Thus by simply switching a Smart Phone on it may have 100s of Apps all suddenly connecting and downloading updates every day. This eats into your data allowance and can be significant.

It's for this reason I don't use data on my dual Sim Nokia. A great little phone whose battery lasts many days on a charge, which is small and portable, easily fits in a pocket and is simple to use. Texts and calls are all I use. I have disabled data usage in the setting for each Sim card so no App or software can download anything.

1pMobile is THE cheapest PAYG solution out there and works really well (on the EE network). It requires a 3G enabled phone to use.
I don't think I'll be giving up my iPhones very soon.

I've found that around 500mb is good enough for 2 days in hospital.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I don't think I'll be giving up my iPhones very soon.

I've found that around 500mb is good enough for 2 days in hospital.
Our hospitals have free wifi as well as a faster paid service. It finally reached Wollongong.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...gong-hospital/
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

11-01-2019, 06:58 PM

I've no idea why ours was taken away. Presumably it was too costly, too many oldies watching Netflix and iPlayer on their iPads.

It's just so ridiculous having to buy prepaid data (expensive data) via sim card, or beforehand. This time I've got 2GB which should be ample for forums, the news and other bits and bobs I use my iPhone for.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 10:19 PM

Prepaid SIM cards needn't be expensive.

Look here: https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

I have a £12pm `goody bag` which gives me 4gig of data and I use quite a lot of the allowance when I'm out and about.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top