Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Re: Freeview Box

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Sounds a good deal to me. And it's actually £600 a year not over £780
14th Nov

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We have broadband landline and mobiles with BT and pay £60 a month
£60 * 12 = £720 a year not £600
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
14th Nov

£60 * 12 = £720 a year not £600
Ahha that was before our discount so sorry you were right on those figures but since we got a discount it's only £600. It is worth contacting companies occasionally to see what they can offer you, we found a few places willing to give us a discount for loyalty when we said we might move our accounts.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I have a Humax DTR-T1000, which has provided lengthy and unbroken service. The newer model is a Humax DTR-T2000.
I have the latest model, it is good.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I would encourage you to do some good research rather than jump in for one of the more well known brands. A lot of mainstream kit is actually very low powered and incapable of recording all the programmes you want.

Let me give you an idea.

I bought a MIRACLEBOX which comes with 3 TUNERS and a 1TB Hard Disk, a powerful CPU and which is Full HD.

The 3 tuners are really important. That's where the ability comes in.

Each tuner allows a box to see the group of channels in what is called a Multiplex. For example, all the BBC channels are broadcast in one multiplex, ITV channels in another and so on.

The mainstream boxes and Sky boxes only have 2 tuners and typically (because they are underpowered boxes in terms of CPU power) they can only record one channel with each tuner at a time, so, that means they can record 2 programmes whilst you potentially watch a 3rd (but only if that channel is in the same multiplex group as the programmes being recorded).

2 programmes in this day an age is pitiful. Really pitiful.

EACH INDIVIDUAL TUNER in my Miraclebox can record up to 4 programmes at the same time within the multiplex group it is looking at. So for example TUNER 1 could be pointing to the BBC multiplex and so could record 4 programmes on say BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and BBC4 at the same time.

Whilst it is doing that, TUNER 2 could be pointing to the ITV multiplex group and could record 4 programmes in that group such as ITV1, ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4

And then TUNER 3 could do likewise with yet another multiplex group so that's 4 more recordings.

So, this means in summary that my box can record up to 12 separate programmes at the same time but this is limited to channels spread across 3 separate multiplex groups.

That is really powerful and means I NEVER EVER miss any programme that I want to record.

People with regular underpowered 2 Tuner boxes will frequently miss episodes of series they like to watch. That's because your favourite programmes are often on at the same time. If you like crime series then CSI and NCIS and Law and Order might all be on at the same time. Your box is only going to be able to record 2 of them, and that's without all the other programmes that might also be on at that time, maybe quiz programmes or Downton Abbey or whatever.

I got my Miraclebox from "World Of Satellite" and it cost about £300 with the 1TB hard disk option.

The 3 Tuners were totally configurable. You cold choose between Freeview Tuners, Freesat Tuners, Satellite Tuners or Cable TV Tuners or any mix of the above.

As I live in a Freeview area I chose to have all 3 tuners as Freeview tuners.

You pick and choose as you need.

So, defo do some good research to find the best and most current box with at least 3 tuners in it.

Here's a link to a seller of the Miraclebox Premium:

https://www.satshop.co.uk/miraclebox...um-twin/p/1576
I suppose it's whether you are addicted to TV or not?

I aren't and I find it difficult to find even two channels/programmes worth recording. The stuff I do record, I end up watching some of it, discount it as crap and not worth my time, then delete it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top