Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Tremors

We are getting her to a neurologist soon, but my mother has a tremor now, which might or might not be an onset of Parkinson's.

It is so bad that there are times she can't hold a glass of orange juice without it flying everywhere. She's thoroughly irritated that her hands are misbehaving.

Has anyone ever had any treatment or medication that has calmed a tremor.

Thanks and forgive the missing "u" .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 07:40 PM

Re: Tremors

Hi

My dad developed Parkinson's very suddenly.

He had some medication which helped initially, but I have no idea what it was sorry.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Thanks and forgive the missing "u" .
Sorry to hear about your mom, hope you find something for her. My FIL had Parkinsons and thus the usual meds for that. I do recall he bought some of those hand grip exercisers, basically a sprung loaded couple of handles which you squeeze together in your hand to build up strength. Like this:

There's no missing "u" BTW, that's how we spell tremors
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 10:10 PM

Have her thyroid checked Surferbabe.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Sorry to hear about your mom, hope you find something for her. My FIL had Parkinsons and thus the usual meds for that. I do recall he bought some of those hand grip exercisers, basically a sprung loaded couple of handles which you squeeze together in your hand to build up strength. Like this:

There's no missing "u" BTW, that's how we spell tremors
Great idea. She is very petite so I hope I can find a child's version.

Whew! Glad I finally got something right on the "u"....or you all finally did. Tremor, colour, parlour, visitor, hard to keep track. . All those unnecessary vowels .

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Have her thyroid checked Surferbabe.
Absolutely. Thank you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Tremor, colour, parlour, visitor, hard to keep track. . All those unnecessary vowels .
Unnecessary vowels ?

You mean like DAIPER instead of just NAPPY

and COUNTERCLOCKWISE instead of just ANTICLOCKWISE

and SUSPENDERS instead of simply BRACES

PARKING LOT rather than just CAR PARK

GARBAGE CAN instead of just DUSTBIN

APARTMENT rather than simply FLAT

STOVETOP rather than just HOB

CLOTHESPIN instead of a simple PEG

Americans like to get their money's worth out of the alphabet it seems !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:46 AM

I have shaking from my MS I do take a medication but only occasionally as it causes me more problems than the shaking does. If it's very bad and I can't use a cup I have a sippy cup I have my drinks in, you can get a lot of coffee carry cups that work really well and don't look child like or silly these days.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 06:51 PM

I class myself as physically fit for my age, apart from this ruddy trapped nerve that is. But I also have days when my shaking leaves me so annoyed with myself spilling cups of tea and other things.
But mine apparently is down to my meds: or so I am told by my gp. Never had any tests and its not a daily thing so I take her word for it.
Apparently to much Ventolin is a main cause so I am off my nebuliser now where I was on it twice a day or when ever needed.Also some of the painkillers or other meds: also cause it so I am told.

Is your mum on any medication that can cause these tremors.?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

21-12-2018, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have shaking from my MS I do take a medication but only occasionally as it causes me more problems than the shaking does. If it's very bad and I can't use a cup I have a sippy cup I have my drinks in, you can get a lot of coffee carry cups that work really well and don't look child like or silly these days.
I appreciate your insights, Julie. I will investigate the possible side effects of anything she takes. Good idea on the coffee. I think her frustration centers more on her ability to cook and serve meals, in which she takes a lot of pride. Thinking about a rolling cart of some nature to get things from the stove to the table.

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
I class myself as physically fit for my age, apart from this ruddy trapped nerve that is. But I also have days when my shaking leaves me so annoyed with myself spilling cups of tea and other things.
But mine apparently is down to my meds: or so I am told by my gp. Never had any tests and its not a daily thing so I take her word for it.
Apparently to much Ventolin is a main cause so I am off my nebuliser now where I was on it twice a day or when ever needed.Also some of the painkillers or other meds: also cause it so I am told.

Is your mum on any medication that can cause these tremors.?
I've heard that first quote come out of her mouth a dozen times.
Good thinking. She is taking very little daily medication but I will definitely investigate.

------
Realist, I will deal with you later . Apparently we aren't even speaking the same language. Hobs? Anticlockwise? Nappies? What in the world????

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top