Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 09:55 AM

Debloat Windows 10

I just came across this and I am going to try it so if I disappear completely you will know it didn't work.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Re: Debloat Windows 10

Let us know if it works too scared to try it before you do
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Done it and it seems to have worked (I had my fingers crossed when I rebooted)

If nothing else it claims to stop Edge from taking over after every major update. I also got rid of One Drive which I never used anyway (I do use Google Drive and Dropbox) but it does ask you and you can say NO if you want to keep it.

I am going to run CCleaner to tidy up the registry. but all seems to be well.

The hardest part was downloading the actual script - for some reason initially I ended up with some HTML but soon sorted that out. The only other thing that seemed unnecessarily complicated was that even if you are in the correct directory to run the script you have to actually enter .\Windows10Debloater.ps1 but that is as difficult as it gets.

I am glad that better minds than mine work these scripts out but it seems pretty good. It is open source and, as a script, you can check out each line if you are worried it might do naughty things to your computer.

Pretty happy with it - the instructions are such that as long as you follow them carefully most people could do it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:41 AM

We just turn off edge I can't see the need or use for it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We just turn off edge I can't see the need or use for it.
I don't think anyone can but it does pop up again after major updates - this apparently disables it safely, it also removes that annoying Cortana which is good - Cortana reminds me of that annoying paperclip that M$ came up with years ago, actually I suppose it is an 'Assistant' just like the paperclip.

I just remembered that my Android phone has suddenly developed a similar new 'Assistant' which keeps reminding me it is there and needs setting up and which I ignore.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:54 AM

Interesting .....

A trawl of the internet reveals no overt criticism, disparaging comments, etc., but i did find this article which, quite rightly, highlights the requirement for backup, restore point, etc. before embarking on a "debloat".

https://www.addictivetips.com/window...rshell-script/

Also, more info here:

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Including:

This script will remove the bloatware from Windows 10 when using Remove-AppXPackage/Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage, and then delete specific registry keys that are were not removed beforehand. For best results, this script should be ran before a user profile is configured, otherwise you will likely see that apps that should have been removed will remain, and if they are removed you will find broken tiles on the start menu.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-12-2018, 01:34 PM

Just got round to running CCleaner. It only found 5 issues in the registry which is quite interesting because sometimes there are ten times that number for no particular reason or at least none that I can think of that would cause the issues that needed fixing.

Debloating doesn't seem to have caused any problems, at least not for me, and it was relatively simple to undertake.

To be honest it has made no practical difference to my use of the machine and I am confident enough with it to run it on my other Windows 10 laptop and netbook.

I can't give an opinion on whether it has made the desktop quicker because when it rebooted there was a lot of housekeeping for it to do but when I start it in the morning will be the first real test.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 01:51 PM

I just use System Mechanic to clear out unwanted stuff, been using it for years and not only clears out rubbish but can defrag drives - speed up internet connection as well
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 04:41 PM

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

But you might find it worthwhile to ensure your browser of choice is set as your "Default Browser".
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Quite a good find Bruce. A bit of bravery is required for non-computer savvy people to run the script but that's often the case with other finds as well.

Over a time, I have already done some uninstalling of unwanted apps and made changes in the Registry to disable some aspects of the system. I'm OK with just ignoring the rest. I might give the script a go out of interest though.

The script is possibly a bit in the same vein as Black Viper giving suggestions of how to set services that run in 'Services.msc' because it all modifies parts of the system that are rarely (if ever) used.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/ (scroll down to the table).

I'm not sure if these things ever make too much difference but it's nice to know that everything is as good as it can be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top