Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 09:11 PM

Re: Brexit Nailed by the Aussies.

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Therefore it is no wonder it takes so long to get over it for individuals as well as for the nation.
It's only foreign nationals that can't seem to get over it.

Not only did the UK govern the largest Empire ever created in history we saved You Europeans from self-destruction on two occasions over the past 100 years...........

You lesser achieving nations really cannot forgive us for that.

We Brits, on the other hand, are so over it You wouldn't believe, lol!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

Not only did the UK govern the largest Empire ever created in history we saved You Europeans from self-destruction on two occasions over the past 100 years...........

If the EU was governed by the brits, would that make its existence acceptable for you?

You consider yourself not being european? You talk of foreign nationals, you europeans.

Thanks to you and your big nephews from the states, for saving us.

Over it? You still hold tight on gibraltar, parts of cyprus and other overseas territories.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 10:06 PM

That is very true, and it is certainly evident from the jealousy of the Frogs of our superiority!
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 02:22 AM

If the EU was governed by the brits, would that make its existence acceptable for you?

You consider yourself not being european? You talk of foreign nationals, you europeans.

Over it? You still hold tight on gibraltar, parts of cyprus and other overseas territories.
Hitler declaring war on the USA 11 Dec 41 and losing at Stalingrad sealed his fate, were were just holding on due to the tactics and bravery of the RAF and the fact we are an island

I always thought it was the Canadians who liberated the Netherlands

Unfortunately some people cannot let go of times past and what things once were and think they can turn the clock back
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 10:49 AM

I don't think I'd be any happier if UK was in charge of EU because for me the idea of any nation building a federal state is a very bad idea. We had an empire shamefully IMO we can't allow that to happen again, it doesn't help other countries or us. Look at some of the areas in the EU completely emptied of their young healthy workers, all fled to areas they feel make them richer. It's not healthy for countries to be like that.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 12:02 PM

Holland is a foreign country to us and the UK is a foreign country to you......No issue there.

You Europeans ..........maybe I should have said You Continentals as we are all European. The EU does not hold the monopoly on being European.......though you would think so they way they bang on!

We don't 'hold on' to our overseas territories........they hold on to their British status in referendum after referendum.

They like being British!
Moscow
Scotland

02-01-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't think I'd be any happier if UK was in charge of EU because for me the idea of any nation building a federal state is a very bad idea. We had an empire shamefully IMO we can't allow that to happen again, it doesn't help other countries or us. Look at some of the areas in the EU completely emptied of their young healthy workers, all fled to areas they feel make them richer. It's not healthy for countries to be like that.
I agree......Empire building is to be discouraged

Stalin used to move whole populations around his Empire and the EU is effectively promoting a similar agenda.
Moscow
Scotland

02-01-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Hitler declaring war on the USA 11 Dec 41 and losing at Stalingrad sealed his fate, were were just holding on due to the tactics and bravery of the RAF and the fact we are an island

I always thought it was the Canadians who liberated the Netherlands

Unfortunately some people cannot let go of times past and what things once were and think they can turn the clock back
The Canadians provided the main body of men in the liberation of little old Holland, however the y had British and other Commonwealth support and the trained, billeted, armed and embarked on and from the British mainland funded by the British war effort.
So I'm guessing it's fair to say it was a mainly British liberation
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree with most of what you say, but the BIB (I've just learnt that abbreviation!) I believe is wrong.

Yes, we benefited from conquering a quarter of the world, but it is not true that those countries didn't benefit at all from the arrangement.

Ask yourself, why do most of those countries retain our armed forces' rank badges in their own? How did the Indians acquire the biggest railway system in the world (far bigger than ours - and they seem to run on time for much lower charges than ours!)?

Not trying to be funny, but many ex-empire countries gained great advances in technology,politics and organisation from their experience of British rule, and some of them - notably India - are about to leapfrog us in the world economics stage.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 01:35 PM

The Canadians provided the main body of men in the liberation of little old Holland, however the y had British and other Commonwealth support and the trained, billeted, armed and embarked on and from the British mainland funded by the British war effort.
So I'm guessing it's fair to say it was a mainly British liberation
It’s more likely it was funded by the Americans lend lease programme and the Canadians funded themselves as we were pretty much bankrupt by then which is why we had to borrow £4.3 billion from the Americans and a further £1.2 billion from the Canadians when the war ended. That’s about £35 billion in today’s money and it took us 61 years to pay off the debt

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top