Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 10:44 AM

EU annoyed me again

People wonder why I hate the EU. I read several online magazines based in USA OK trashy reads but I like them. Not been able to download them for a few weeks mailed one to see why. The latest EU laws about online information gathering has stopped the magazines allowing UK or EU countries reading them. They are so scared of being fined they gave up.

So thanks EU I may have been reading rubbish but it was rubbish I enjoyed !!
BTW chatting for nice lady by email she said this might be just the tip of the iceberg as the first time EU tries to fine anyone will be the last time USA magazines and newspapers will broadcast in EU.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Re: EU annoyed me again

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
People wonder why I hate the EU. I read several online magazines based in USA OK trashy reads but I like them. Not been able to download them for a few weeks mailed one to see why. The latest EU laws about online information gathering has stopped the magazines allowing UK or EU countries reading them. They are so scared of being fined they gave up.

So thanks EU I may have been reading rubbish but it was rubbish I enjoyed !!
BTW chatting for nice lady by email she said this might be just the tip of the iceberg as the first time EU tries to fine anyone will be the last time USA magazines and newspapers will broadcast in EU.
The restrictions are covered by the General Data Protection Regulations which are designed to protect YOUR data from use that YOU have not agreed to, and has been in operation since May 18.

I note also that you blame the EU (cette normal) for trying to protect you rather than the organizations that use YOUR data illegally.

To properly find out WHY ;https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44248448

After we leave the above regulations will be incorporated in to a new Data Protection Act.

Dam! you will not be able to blame the EU. Where will that leave you?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:14 AM

My data ? you mean my email address as that's ... no hang on I haven't even given them that. But I have no problem with them using my data I just want to read the magazines as I have been doing. Yes I blame the EU they meddled and I have lost my weekly fun.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
My data ? you mean my email address as that's ... no hang on I haven't even given them that. But I have no problem with them using my data I just want to read the magazines as I have been doing. Yes I blame the EU they meddled and I have lost my weekly fun.
Erm, your data is a little bit (actually a lot) more than your email address.

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organis...ence_guide.pdf

Although the above covers the Data Protection Act which was the UK's precursor to GDPR of the EU it might give you a little more understanding.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-01-2019, 12:40 PM

I understand but I don't care. They can have my data there is nothing they can do to harm me. This forum has our data, do we stop using it because it does ? no we accept that as part and parcel of using a free resource.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Try using a VPN to set your IP address to a US based one. I use a VPN all the time, the IP address for which is currently set in London but I can change this to any country or location where the VPN company has servers.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Jud d, can you please explain a little more in detail for ignorant silver surfers such as myself please? what is a VPN and how does it work? It does annoy me too when I find a recipe online on an American website that used to be very popular and no problem in accessing to now, logging into the website only to be informed that they are not allowed to show their content in Europe at the moment! Why? Would appreciate any help in being able to access that website.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-01-2019, 01:44 PM

I'd like to know too judd. please.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2019, 03:10 PM

A VPN is a virtual private network and gives a secure connection between your PC and the website that you're visiting. It does this by routing your connection to a remote server which has a different IP address to your PC so therefore fools the website into believing that you are somewhere you aren't. If you choose a remote server set in the US, for all intents and purposes you are in the US. A VPN also masks your internet activity from your ISP as the whole connection is encrypted. Mine is a paid service £30 p.a. but there are quite a few free ones to choose from.

A bit more info here:

https://uk.pcmag.com/encryption/4328/the-best-free-vpns
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

07-01-2019, 03:13 PM

Thank you judd I'm just going to have a read of that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top