Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2020, 11:03 PM

Re: Compulsive Hoarders

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Why, Annie? Not being contentious - just curious.
There must be great hardship across the country right now - scarcity of food and basic necessities for those with families. Jobs lost, income reductions, the state of emergency and lockdown. It's similar to war time conditions. Coupled with anxiety and the taboo of touching anything without washing hands. I just see that for a developing psyche this will have a deep impact and will affect behaviour towards the things we previously took for granted. on top of this social distancing. Being away from people being a good thing. Am I the only one who sees a future problem?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There must be great hardship across the country right now - scarcity of food and basic necessities for those with families. Jobs lost, income reductions, the state of emergency and lockdown. It's similar to war time conditions. Coupled with anxiety and the taboo of touching anything without washing hands. I just see that for a developing psyche this will have a deep impact and will affect behaviour towards the things we previously took for granted. on top of this social distancing. Being away from people being a good thing. Am I the only one who sees a future problem?
Thank you for the explanation, Annie, sadly, I feel you may have a valid point. Have to admit I had not thought so far into the future.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:31 AM

My sister is a terrible hoarder....she asked me to come sort her out ...I tried but every single thing in her house has a story attached to it....it was impossible to get her to part with anything. She isn't as bad as the ones muddy talks about....but she is getting there.
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
My sister is a terrible hoarder....she asked me to come sort her out ...I tried but every single thing in her house has a story attached to it....it was impossible to get her to part with anything. She isn't as bad as the ones muddy talks about....but she is getting there.
A guy I used to work with is going the same way, he has 3 cars on his drive that haven't run in years, they're litterally rotting away, they're full of all kinds. A few months ago I went down to give him a hand trying to sort it as his wife was getting on his back, it was pointless, I was trying to put empty cardboard boxes in the bin, they were all damp and rotting but he wanted to keep them, he had the bottoms cut off plastic pop bottles that he'd used to clean paintbrushes, they were all gunged up and useless, but he wouldn't throw them away!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by sparky ->
I am a bit of a hoarder, but it's mostly tools and stuff, I have tools from job's I did years ago, I no longer do that work, but the tools were expensive and people want to give you peanuts for them, so I won't sell.Then there's stuff that I like to 'rehome', someone may be throwing out say an electric drill that works, I'll take it and pass it on at some point to someone who needs one, I often get offered stuff and am obliged to take it, Someone has a clear out and is throwing lets say an old radio, so they offer it to me, 'because he might want it', trouble is, if I refuse, they don't offer me anything else, I've misssed out on some really good stuff because of this.
Also I have started collecting stuff recently from years ago, I have a collection, of old Avo meters, I used to use these years ago, I have also aqquired, two electric drills, identical to the first one's I ever had, recently I've been getting hold of a number of Kango breakers, they don't make them anymore, people get rid when they break, they really have only one common fault, and it's an easy fix, so I repair them.
A mate of mine works for a multinational company who are currently getting rid of a lot of their old equipment and he's partly in charge, it costs money for skips so it's better for them if they can avoid putting stuff in them, so they let him bring stuff to me, recently he turned up with over a grands worth of kit that was being scrapped, and it was all useful, I have two sheds that are full, a loft, a large cupboard, and my office (spare bedroom).
The trouble with me is that I struggled to afford a lot of this kit when I was younger, so I can't bear to see any of it thrown away now. sad isn't it!
You sound as if you are becoming a proper Steptoe Sparky!
Where do you keep yer orse if yer sheds is full??
Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
You sound as if you are becoming a proper Steptoe Sparky!
Where do you keep yer orse if yer sheds is full??
Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
The orse went, I've got a landrover, got to move with the times. lol
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 10:15 AM

Sparky

Laughed when I read your post.

I'm much the same, but not on the same scale.

Just one full garage & nothing gets chucked out.

Had a thought, though, and have given myself a new task.

From now on, on the eve of bin collection day, I will fill whatever space is left in the bin with stuff from the garage.

Then the bedrooms,

Then the car.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top