Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 08:28 PM

Re: equity from your house

Originally Posted by Omah ->
If the owner is not planning to move then there is no cost to the owner until death (or, perhaps, being taken into care) intervenes.
There is always a cost Omah. I would not like to see my property whittled away by equity release. It would worry me and I would know the home I was living in was no longer completely my own and I did not have full control of it. Even if I went into a home it would be better to find something which was not reliant on SS and I could pay my way living in a good quality of accommodation with the value of my house sale,rather than making do with the minimum provided by SS because I could not afford anything else.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
But a bank loan has to be paid back, with interest, sooner rather than later - not viable for those with insufficient disposable income .....
Also a bank loan or a mortgage carries a far less interest rate than an equity release loan. When it is worked out equity release is quite expensive.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My neighbour took out equity release a couple of times . I know one amount was £30 k the other amount I'm unsure of . When she died hubby stayed in the house when he died the company took control of the house . The sons were given 1 month to empty the house . Of course I didnt know what was happening but when I asked one of the sons was he going to rent out the house he replied
We cant afford it , equity own most of it .

The house was sold quickly and cheaply.

I can only gather that the interest on the property was huge. I'm also told it's a rolling daily interest rate.

Leave well alone I say

But raising cash to keep your property in a decent state is a worry for people with little savings
Erm ... what interest?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
There is always a cost Omah. I would not like to see my property whittled away by equity release. It would worry me and I would know the home I was living in was no longer completely my own and I did not have full control of it. Even if I went into a home it would be better to find something which was not reliant on SS and I could pay my way living in a good quality of accommodation with the value of my house sale,rather than making do with the minimum provided by SS because I could not afford anything else.
Those are choices that the individual must make.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Also a bank loan or a mortgage carries a far less interest rate than an equity release loan. When it is worked out equity release is quite expensive.
Indeed it is, but you don't have to pay it back until you no longer care.

There are many who are not able to find the hundreds of pounds per month required to pay back a bank loan over a period of years.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 09:52 PM

Dood I meant to say the interest that is charged on equity release is a daily rolling interest from what I've been told .
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 10:30 PM

Historically equity release has a really bad reputation but I understand there are new laws limiting the amount that can be released.

I'm told Nationwide have some reasonable deals for ER and applicants are given one-to-one consultations.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2020, 11:12 PM

I pay off the mortgage on my home in 9 months. There is no way in hell I would encumber the property again. I would rather die poor and leave my children a nest egg then to piss away my equity.

Over here, "reverse mortgages" are highly advertised and pushed as if they were "free" money. It is a damn shame because they take advantage of people who are not sophisticated enough to realize what they are doing.

I had a friend who reversed the scam on predatory lenders. He was dying, and knew he only had a year or so to live. He had no kids or other close relatives, so he took every mortgage that any lender would give him and partied his ass off, leaving the crooks in the lurch! The bankers could not have gotten a third of their money back when they sold the property.

Way to go Cliff!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 01:44 AM

Hi

Not a Fan of Equity Release

I took the decision to downsize massively and buy a house designed for my Son, who is Epileptic.

He cannot drive, or even ride a bike.

It is small, a 3 Bed End Terrace, walking distance of everything.

It is very, very, different from the big house I had.

It is his when I die, no mortgage to pay off, no Funeral Bills.

I give him money out of my Income, which does not attract Inheritance Tax.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Savvy ->
I pay off the mortgage on my home in 9 months. There is no way in hell I would encumber the property again. I would rather die poor and leave my children a nest egg then to piss away my equity.
One of the main reasons for equity release is to help your children financially before you die. When that time comes, they get less - and they know that!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top