Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 06:16 PM

Re: Pharaoh khafre

We visited the pyramids twelve years ago and I was drawn to the Great Pyramid, something in my head was telling me I must touch it, which I did with both hands. A strange feeling came over me, I couldn't believe I was touching this great wonder and I felt privileged to have done so.

From there we visited the Egyptian Museum in Cairo and saw the history of Egypt as it was ..... such an amazing building!
Whilst there my husband bought me a gold Kartouche and the museum engraved it with the Egyptian hieroglyphs for my name.

I cannot imagine the new museum having the same atmosphere...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2020, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Longdogs,
Perchance did you happen to go all the way up inside of the Great Pyramid of Khufu , thru the Grand gallery and into the burial chamber ?
I got a bit of claustrophobia and had to take a valium before continuing all the way. The air inside was way too "close" for me.
Yes, we did get to go up the chamber. I remember the stairs were a bit steep but OK once you were inside it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We visited the pyramids twelve years ago and I was drawn to the Great Pyramid, something in my head was telling me I must touch it, which I did with both hands. A strange feeling came over me, I couldn't believe I was touching this great wonder and I felt privileged to have done so.

When I was in my teens, I imagined that I would be allowed to climb up the outside, all of the way to the top. However, at my age and seeing how tall it actually was, all such fantasies were forgotten.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

From there we visited the Egyptian Museum in Cairo and saw the history of Egypt as it was ..... such an amazing building!
Whilst there my husband bought me a gold Kartouche and the museum engraved it with the Egyptian hieroglyphs for my name.

I cannot imagine the new museum having the same atmosphere...
Me neither I thought the museum was fantastic .
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Me neither I thought the museum was fantastic .

Yes, so did I. I believe that the new location on the Giza plateau will make the new museum infinitely more crowded, because it is located only 2 Km from the Great Pyramid.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 09:39 AM

You have really taken me back Bakerman. 1962 I got to ride a camel and then walk inside the great pyramid. Up those sloping passages to the chambers within. An awe inspiring experience!
bakerman
Mexico

23-01-2020, 11:37 AM

Nice photo, Cinderman. Much has changed since you were there. Just behind the camera person there are several fast food outlets and a host of shops catering to the tourists, and up behind the Great Pyramid there is another upper entrance and taxi stand. Also, the camel and horse rental place is now several blocks away.

For those who have not yet visited Egypt and are planning on going, beware of the taxi rip-off artists. They all want to take you to so-called "papyrus museums". Those places are tourist rip-offs which sell newly made fake papyrus scrolls. If hiring a taxi, tell them, in no uncertain terms, that you, and you alone will determine where to go.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Nice photo, Cinderman. Much has changed since you were there. Just behind the camera person there are several fast food outlets and a host of shops catering to the tourists, and up behind the Great Pyramid there is another upper entrance and taxi stand. Also, the camel and horse rental place is now several blocks away.

For those who have not yet visited Egypt and are planning on going, beware of the taxi rip-off artists. They all want to take you to so-called "papyrus museums". Those places are tourist rip-offs which sell newly made fake papyrus scrolls. If hiring a taxi, tell them, in no uncertain terms, that you, and you alone will determine where to go.
I remember using the 'La' word many times when we were there, it seems to have more effect than 'No.' It is always a surprise to see the buildings near to the pyramids as photographs always portray them as being in the middle of nowhere.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
You have really taken me back Bakerman. 1962 I got to ride a camel and then walk inside the great pyramid. Up those sloping passages to the chambers within. An awe inspiring experience!
I thought it was Lauwrence of Arabia Ciderman!
Donkeyman!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 06:50 PM

It was about 10 years ago when I went on a cruise on the Nile . It was fantastic but my friend and I couldn't get off the boat without being surrounded by shouting pushing men trying to sell stuff . If we tried to walk into the town it was a nightmare .

I found a way though , I wore a scarf over my head and covered my face except for my eyes , they then left us alone to a certain extent . Females with a Male were left to walk and shop

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top