Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 07:33 PM

Re: Stay Safe Dear Friends

Today was our last day for going out, I have enough food in to cover a few weeks. Both our son and daughter have been very worried about us and have given orders that we stay indoors now. Our daughter will do any shopping that we need and her or our SIL will drop it at the door - they only live about 15 minutes away. Our son will phone every day to check on us, he lives in Wales and we don't want him risking trains and suchlike to visit us, also he suffers with Asthma so shouldn't take risks anyway.

Both of us are happy enough to stay indoors especially as my husband isn't in the best of health. Who knows what will happen?
At least we will know we've tried to help ourselves and do our 'bit' and we have the reassurance that our children will 'step in' anytime.

Positive thoughts for us all, we can beat this! xx
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Today was our last day for going out, I have enough food in to cover a few weeks. Both our son and daughter have been very worried about us and have given orders that we stay indoors now. Our daughter will do any shopping that we need and her or our SIL will drop it at the door - they only live about 15 minutes away. Our son will phone every day to check on us, he lives in Wales and we don't want him risking trains and suchlike to visit us, also he suffers with Asthma so shouldn't take risks anyway.

Both of us are happy enough to stay indoors especially as my husband isn't in the best of health. Who knows what will happen?
At least we will know we've tried to help ourselves and do our 'bit' and we have the reassurance that our children will 'step in' anytime.

Positive thoughts for us all, we can beat this! xx
I've done same with my dad. Whatever it takes to keep him safe. Yes we can beat this xxx
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 07:47 PM

Just to put the all the ridiculous hype and silly panic in perspective...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ina-flu-deaths

An extract:-
However, the (Corona)virus is not nearly as deadly as the common flu, which experts have warned should still take priority in the medical battle.

Influenza can lead to thousands of deaths a year, with the University of Oxford stating that in 2008-2009, there were 13,000 deaths in the UK alone related to the flu.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that an average of up to 500,000 people die annually across the globe due to the flu.

Since October alone, 20,000 people died from flu complications in the US, which has led to one expert describing the coronavirus as a “blip”.

A link to CDC's estimates of flue cases and deaths in the US... https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

UK Report on Flu showing thousands of deaths each year (see chart on page 51)... https://assets.publishing.service.go...2019-FINAL.pdf

Get a grip, people, it's getting pathetic! The media and press have whipped up utter hysteria and people are just getting swept up in it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Just to put the all the ridiculous hype and silly panic in perspective...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ina-flu-deaths

An extract:-
However, the (Corona)virus is not nearly as deadly as the common flu, which experts have warned should still take priority in the medical battle.

Influenza can lead to thousands of deaths a year, with the University of Oxford stating that in 2008-2009, there were 13,000 deaths in the UK alone related to the flu.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that an average of up to 500,000 people die annually across the globe due to the flu.

Since October alone, 20,000 people died from flu complications in the US, which has led to one expert describing the coronavirus as a “blip”.

Get a grip, people. The media and press have whipped up utter hysteria.
World economy has never suffered through the normal flu virus like it is doing right now.
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
World economy has never suffered through the normal flu virus like it is doing right now.
The cause behind all that is all the mindless hysteria and panic over Coronavirus. People are idiots and it's embarrassing how they got spooked over pictures of Australians buying dozens of toilet rolls and then Americans panic buying anything in sight. Parts of the UK blindly followed suit.

Check the links. In the UK, in 2017 to 2018, 26,408 died because of flu or complications brought on by flu. Was anyone out there panic buying bog roll? No. Were football matches cancelled? No. Did people get told to work from home? No. Did schools start closing down? No. Did anyone actually bat an eyelid or comment on it in the course of conversation? No.

So, twenty-six thousand, four hundred and eight flu deaths in 2017 to 2018 versus twenty one Coronavirus deaths in the UK so far. Pardon me for keeping calm and carrying on.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 08:26 PM

So tell Yer PM to 'get a grip' as it was He who put the fear of God in Us all with His speech on tv about the virus the other day.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 08:31 PM

I think you are just being sensible LQ... I told you about my pal who owns a little shop in Otley and she is placing all the coins handed over as payment into dettol then she dries it off and puts it in the till... at first I thought she was being a bit over the top but I think she is just protecting herself and her customers.

I'm looking forward to meeting for coffee in a few weeks but I totally understand if you cancel because you think its a risk..... best safe than sorry.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

14-03-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I think you are just being sensible LQ... I told you about my pal who owns a little shop in Otley and she is placing all the coins handed over as payment into dettol then she dries it off and puts it in the till... at first I thought she was being a bit over the top but I think she is just protecting herself and her customers.

I'm looking forward to meeting for coffee in a few weeks but I totally understand if you cancel because you think its a risk..... best safe than sorry.
No way cancelling been looking forward to it so much. Just excuse me with my surgical mask, my latex gloves, my bottle of dettol and my crucifix will you hehe xx
Tachyon

14-03-2020, 08:40 PM

What did your friend do in 2017 to 2018, Summer, when 26,408 died in the UK from flu? Sterilised the coins? Panic-bought toilet roll and pasta? I bet not.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
No way cancelling been looking forward to it so much. Just excuse me with my surgical mask, my latex gloves, my bottle of dettol and my crucifix will you hehe xx

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top