Join for free
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Re: Policing in the 1970’s

Originally Posted by JBR ->
One man had bitten a copper whilst being arrested and claimed that he had an infection, laughing at the fact that he could have passed that on to the copper.

At the end of the programme, it was mentioned that the copper had to wait three weeks to learn whether or not he had been infected, but fortunately had not.
Sadly, that sort of thing has never been all that uncommon.

Rightly now the police wear disposable gloves for most types of contact, but back then it was bare hands or leather gloves which tended to be worn constantly, from one unpleasant incident to the next!
Marky34
Surrey
Marky34 is male  Marky34 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 03:01 PM

Coming back from some event or other on one of those green police buses they used to have in the Met...

As everyone is getting off, one dozy Pc says “Sarge, I’ve left my helmet in the refreshment tent!”

“Have you written your name in it, lad?”

“Yes Sarge”

“Okay, I’ll make a call and get it sent over.”

The next day the Pc comes in and finds his helmet duly sitting on the table awaiting him. Well pleased, he says, “Good job I wrote my name firmly inside...”

He picks it up, looks inside smugly, to see written in heavy black ink...

PC **** IS A FORGETFUL ****
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Marky34 ->
Sadly, that sort of thing has never been all that uncommon.

Rightly now the police wear disposable gloves for most types of contact, but back then it was bare hands or leather gloves which tended to be worn constantly, from one unpleasant incident to the next!
Not just gloves. They should be wearing protective clothing all over. I've seen reports, and pictures, of bites on their arms.

The coppers should let their dogs go, accidentally of course, so the criminals would get a taste of their own medicine.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Marky34 ->
Here’s today’s one... another collectors incident.

I hope everyone appreciate that these tales are not ‘digs’ at the police, far from it. As someone who saw it all first hand all those years ago, I’d hope that most of the officers of today would also have a smile at them.

... remember when white socks were all the rage back in the seventies. Most young lads wore them at some stage, including, regrettably, some coppers who thought they’d take the risk.

So, one day, a young copper saunters into court to give his evidence, sporting a pair of white socks with his uniform (yes, the look hardly bears thinking about now, does it?).

Anyway, evidence over and he sits out the rest of the case on the side benches. When the case is over, the clerk calls the officer and says that the magistrates wish to see him in their retiring room. Perplexed and wondering what on earth he did wrong in the witness box, he goes to see them - only to be told...

“Officer, next time you appear before us, please come dressed suitably for the court and not looking as if you are off to the local disco.”

LOL!!

I’m so tempted to make tomorrow’s one the best of the lot, but I’m afraid it’s ‘toilet-related-humour’ again, so I’ll think carefully!
We love toilet humour (well, some of us do).
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 11:32 PM

as being just a citizen all I can see is what the general public observe

Way back whenI was a kid (1950 era) you often saw a police officer walking the streets and roads. You not only respected them but knew they were the ones to go to for help or sort out any problems. If you were caught "Scrumping apples etc" you got a clip around the ear and a telling off and that was the end of the matter. If you saw the same policeman next day he would be the same one you could go to for help, all the day before over and done with.

Now no police except in warm cars rarely seen and never on the beat. you get so called "imitation" police like traffic wardens- and others in uniforms with limited powers.
We see on TV police with guns strapped to themselves- wearing body armour sprey canisters-radios and cameras. even in the air with helicopters never heard of when I was a kid.
a clip around the ear is now a police assult- Health and Safety before public protection so it seems One incident and a policeman of tied up with paperwork so off the streets.

Things have changed so much and not for the better.

Not saying they are not doing their best because they are within what they are allowed to do, but so tied up with regulations I have to say i do wonder how they managed to do the job they signed up for.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2020, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
a clip around the ear is now a police assult- Health and Safety before public protection so it seems One incident and a policeman of tied up with paperwork so off the streets.

Things have changed so much and not for the better.

Not saying they are not doing their best because they are within what they are allowed to do, but so tied up with regulations I have to say i do wonder how they managed to do the job they signed up for.
Hear hear.

Yes, it's not the 'boots on the ground'. It's the ones in charge, the most senior and political like commissioners.

The Dick woman is a commissioner, I believe, and that says it all.

How much better it would be for everyone - except the criminals, of course - if we could somehow revert to how things were in the good old days.

Another thing which has ruined much of society is the 'no smacking' law we now have. Like the copper giving a clip round the ear, my parents did the same on rare occasions. It made us better behaved and we turned into better people.
Marky34
Surrey

31-03-2020, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We love toilet humour (well, some of us do).
Two down, one to go!

Marky34
Surrey

01-04-2020, 03:16 PM

Wembley Stadium... 1985 or 86. Chelsea v Manchester City...

An officer is standing outside the stadium when an extremely worse-for-wear supporter almost stumbles into him, causing the officer to step backwards suddenly. Unbeknown to him, there is a guy walking right behind him carrying a tray with about eight full pints of beer on it. These were the days when beer tents and vans were freely located around the ground.

The result is that the officer accidentally knocks the tray from the guy’s hands and all the plastic glasses hit the floor. The guy, maybe also understandably, is furious, but he launches into a lengthy stream of obscenities at the officer who doesn’t want to have to arrest him because of the circumstances, but the guy goes on and on in really abusive fashion. His language merits being nicked but the officer reluctantly tells him to go away and he eventually walks off, still shouting and abusing the officer.

After he’s gone, the officer goes to kick the empty glasses to one side, only to see a match ticket floating in the puddle. He picks it up and a short while later he goes to the ticket office to hand it in, and what does he find...?

...the same guy almost in tears, pleading that he’s lost his ticket!

Let’s just say his reaction to the officer couldn’t have been more of an extreme opposite than it had been 10 minutes earlier!!
Marky34
Surrey

01-04-2020, 07:01 PM

Well, I think that’s your lot, boys and girls!

I hope some of the stories gave you a bit of a smile at least and kept you entertained. I do have a few more but maybe not for public consumption right now.

Cheers.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-04-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by marky34 ->
well, i think that’s your lot, boys and girls!

I hope some of the stories gave you a bit of a smile at least and kept you entertained. I do have a few more but maybe not for public consumption right now.

Cheers.

Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top