Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:43 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Sorry I have no time to read back.

Today is the Grand National, I was thinking of Jem. I will put a bet on today
Many years back in the nineties, I put a bet on, it was a famous false start.
I bet Jem can recall the year.
I remember it well, it was in 1993, my son had backed the ‘Winner’ of the Grand National that never was, the horse was Esna Ness and the poor unfortunate jockey was John White, he was in bits when told told the race was void, if ever I saw a broken man it was John White on that terrible day.
The bookies had to refund 75 million quid in bets that year.
The National was never a lucky race for me, I would avoid a bet it but join in as all the family would be enjoying the race, only once in all my years of having a flutter did I have the winner, Ruby Walsh on Papillon back in 2000.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:45 PM

Thanks Jem, we needed grounding.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I remember it well, it was in 1993, my son had backed the ‘Winner’ of the Grand National that never was, the horse was Esna Ness and the poor unfortunate jockey was John White, he was in bits when told told the race was void, if ever I saw a broken man it was John White on that terrible day.
The bookies had to refund 75 million quid in bets that year.
The National was never a lucky race for me, I would avoid a bet it but join in as all the family would be enjoying the race, only once in all my years of having a flutter did I have the winner, Ruby Walsh on Papillon back in 2000.
I knew you would know the year. I thought it was 1994, but I wasn't sure. Yes, I was broken that year and my first bet on the Grand National.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:52 PM

"We all live in a yellow submarine..."
Have to rush now, the wife's tongue is hanging out for a drink and there's less than two hours left before closing, she is not a pleasant sight when her tongue is hanging out I can assure you.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
"We all live in a yellow submarine..."
Have to rush now, the wife's tongue is hanging out for a drink and there's less than two hours left before closing, she is not a pleasant sight when her tongue is hanging out I can assure you.
Blimey, a lock-in at the local.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

07-04-2019, 12:53 AM

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Bring back tautology.
Its been lost in translation.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

07-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Tempting Spitty, very tempting.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

07-04-2019, 08:26 PM

It wasn’t a bad day today so the wife and me took the dog out for a walk along the stretch of canal that runs along the back of our house, the little dog loves swimming in the canal (it’s all cleaned up now) and the only problem is getting him out of the water, but today the water was fairly cold and he didn’t stay in for long.

There used to be a few decent tramps that hung around the old Royal Canal when I was a kid back in the early 50’s, they’re all gone now, they all had nicknames, there was “Hammerneck”, who had a very long neck, Hairy Lemon, and “Johnny Forty Coats” “Skin the goat” and “Dirty Dick”
Now at night time the druggies take over so a walk along my stretch of the Canal at night is out.

I remember the time we jumped on an old disused barge only to find a sleeping tramp inside, we all thought he was dead at the time, there wasn’t a move out of him, two large rats were lurking around him, we scattered the rats and when one lad poked the mans leg with a stick he suddenly sprang up and told us all to f..k off and let him sleep, he didn’t have to tell us twice.
Something like this chap here, this fella was probably one of the last originals who survived into the 60’s/70’s, I remember this lad, he used to sleep in one of the old train carriages that lay on the track, the track ran parallel to the canal, most of these fellas had dogs too. I must say that none of these dropouts were ever violent, although some of the coppers gave them a hard time, constantly running them in whenever something serious happened in the area, the usual suspects thing.

The Rising of Hairy Lemon.

Out for a walk on a fine summer’s morn, without a worry or care
Three boys took the canal path, with a bag of sweets to share
An old wreaked barge tied up to a pole, seemed to invite us in
So we all climbed aboard wondering, was an adventure about to begin?
“Look at this lads!” yelled young Tom Farrell “There’s a dead man in here!”
“Look at him yerself” says I, “If he’s dead I won’t go near”
‘Someone will have to get the cops” said Farrell, “And we better make it quick”
Then Kelly broke a branch of bramble, and prodded the body with the stick
Not a stir from the corpse, so Kelly had a closer peep
Up sprung the man and he let out a roar, “Go home ye brats, and let me sleep!”
Down the canal path ran three scared kids, thinking home they’d never get
Oh that day long ago, when Hairy Lemon scared us stiff, and my pants were soaking wet.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

07-04-2019, 11:19 PM

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top