Join for free
Page 481 of 1676 « First < 381 431 471 479 480 481 482 483 491 531 581 981 1481 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
serious question still with water and sailing - have you ever heard of the welsh sailor Tristan Jones - I once had all his books!!
Great reads. Tristan Jones or Alan Jones a gifted and talented story teller cleverly reinvented his true history to make himself appear more interesting than he thought himself to be. For that alone we have to thank his creativity.

Anthony Daltons book The Wayward sailor-The search for the real Tristan Jones may debunk most of Jones daring do's but I know which books I still preferred reading. Sometimes debunking a hero isn't the way to go for we all know that adding a few more yarns into a story always makes it more interesting. A fact that Dalton completely misses.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 10:35 AM

didn't TJ claim that most of his books were non-fiction?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
didn't TJ claim that most of his books were non-fiction?
Indeed he claimed that but very much tongue in cheek. Being born in Liverpool enhancing or embellishing fact or fiction is a natural trait of those natives I hear .

Like the fish that got away the jury is still out on if he lied or not. Either way he wrote riveting stuff that inspired many too either mentally or physically cast off.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 12:28 PM

I once did some research on the guy - he was born illegitimate and brought up in a Liverpool orphanage. He finished his life in Phuket and managed to alienate himself with the local sailing club fraternity and the Thai people also and died alone in a seaside hut with his window facing away from the sea and pointed towards the mountains.

I regard his books as similar to a 'boys own' comic series - interesting for the young and innocent but a bit boring for the seeker of the truth!

he was also asking for donations for his new company supporting disabled kids - but there was little evidence of that ever getting off the ground - I think he was just after money!!

NB: please not Pugsie we are maintaining a sailing sequence just for you!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 01:46 PM

I’m ignorant of anything to do with boats, I used to back a horse called Rothesay Dancer, I think he’s retired now, great horse in his day, always spelt his name wrong on the docket, left out the ‘E’ in the middle.
That ship looks like a boat to my untrained eye Pug.
Why do seafaring folks get all hot under the collar when you call their ship a boat?
solo
UK

09-02-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I’m ignorant of anything to do with boats, I used to back a horse called Rothesay Dancer, I think he’s retired now, great horse in his day, always spelt his name wrong on the docket, left out the ‘E’ in the middle.
That ship looks like a boat to my untrained eye Pug.
Why do seafaring folks get all hot under the collar when you call their ship a boat?

Could be something to do with gravy comes in boats Jem. That would be enough to hurt any old tars feeling. You know how wobbly they get on land.

Tis a sight to behold though watching those great liners turning in those small fiords so as to give tourists a proper view. They were not made for accommodating these sizes either above water or underneath and you wonder just how long before the whole lot caves in. Now a mobile phone camera would be useful there.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 03:35 PM

In order to comply with the new group policy I will restrict my missives & soundbites to
THE SEA and SAILING
In the 1970s I was on Grace bros staff & pensioners social club committee (CIU Affiliated) .
There were lots of outings for this rowdy rabble, who preferred going to Benidorm and singing
Y Viva Espanola & drinking until they were sick .
Anyway I, it was my misfortune to be in charge of the trip by coach to the bowling alley at the pub on the river TEST. The SEVEN STARS, previously known as the MAYFLY.
NOW this iis the bit that’s to do with the current TOPIC…
Going home some of the old codgers had second wind & proceeded to roar
SONS OF THE SEA
I have led a sheltered life and was taken aback after the first line when they all jumped up in their seats singing
BOBBING UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS
SAILING THE OCEAN
BOBBING UP AND DOWN LIKE THIS

What a to do followed . The driver wailed for his poor suspension, drinks went flying.
That’s all I have to say on this topic .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 10:13 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-672m20FVk

Posted this before, maybe it's the Ripples.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Or the Echoes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 10:59 PM

What about the most famous boat of the lot, Noah’s Ark, maybe if we called all floating vessels arks everyone would be happy.
In my childhood days we used to hacksaw the roofs off old cars in the dump, turn them upside down and use them as boats on the canal which was right beside the dump, it was all hands on Dec when we sprung a leak, Dec was the Captain and if we were going down he was coming with us.
This boat thing is beginning to sail on a bit, might end up like the Marie Celeste, I promise to stay calm, but will somebody please tell me when to disembark.
Meanwhile I'm off for a few tots of old Jamaky afore I'm handed the dreaded black spot.

Page 481 of 1676 « First < 381 431 471 479 480 481 482 483 491 531 581 981 1481 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top