Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 04:59 AM

new research on salt proves its worth?

“The rigid low-sodium diet is insipid, unappetising, monotonous, unacceptable, and intolerable. To stay on it requires the asceticism of a religious zealot.”
The new study measured potassium as well as sodium levels in people’s urine and found that higher potassium, which is found in fruit and vegetables, cut rates of stroke, heart disease and death. “Perhaps salt-reduction evangelists and salt-addition libertarians could temporarily put aside their vitriol and support the hypothesis that diets rich in potassium confer substantially greater health benefits than aggressive sodium reduction,” they write.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...14&CMP=ema_632

many cooks of course continue to profess that adding salt whilst cooking enhances the process and improves the flavor of the food in question? - any comment Bakerman?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 07:16 AM

Re: new research on salt proves its worth?

I have to say I much prefer pepper or herbs to season my food and rarely add salt when I am cooking.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 07:20 AM

Hi

Different people have different metabolisms and requirements.

I avoid salt and had to change medication because of high potassium levels.

You do what is best for you.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 08:32 AM

I add salt to My porridge & potatoes when cooking,it's done Me no harm in 75 yrs so will continue to do so.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 11:46 AM

I never add salt to anything.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 11:49 AM

I use low sodium salt but only a small amount.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Anyone with a normal healthy metabolism needs some salt. But it's not good in large quantities for anyone.

I always add some to cooking.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 01:38 PM

I never take any notice of the so called experts. Put them in a room together and I doubt they could agree on the colour of the walls.

Basically, if I want salt, I'll have it although I don't smother food in it. Same with sugar, butter and everything else because whatever is said, it will change in the future.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 02:59 PM

Pickling in Brine, [salt water] makes food last longer.
What about people?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2018, 03:16 PM

I've met some pretty pickled people in the past....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top